Is this the future for EV cars?

kwak250

1 hour ago, kwak250 said:

So I expect you have all seen the problems with all the Ev cars trying to charge there EV to get home for NY.

Reminds me of when we forgot our mobile phone chargers on a recent trip away and all were fighting to charge from 1 cable.

Anyway like I always said the EVs are fine if you just want to drive a few km around town but finally they have a solution.

20231231_143346.jpg

That would work for me, especially in a pickup truck.

7 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Yes me too.

Problem now is they are not as easy to work on as the older cars.

Definitely not as easy as older vehicles which are a piece of cake. Anymore one needs to get familiar with the known issues that arise by reading up on the Internet forums. I keep an OBD reader and common tools in the car and the OBDLink app, and service manuals on my phone. My main problem is that I don’t trust other people working on my vehicles. 

48 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

EVs aren't eco-friendly at all. Hybrids are a much better choice if you really like to go on electricity.

I guess you didn’t realise that you can’t actually charge a hybrid. Might not be a bad idea to do some research before posting an opinion.

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Yes me too.

Problem now is they are not as easy to work on as the older cars.

Not that this has anything to do with EVs, but yea, can't remember last time I did much to my ICEVs, as there's so much crap you have to remove to get to anything.

Labor is so cheap here/TH, I didn't even bother with oil changes, though dealer says 'if' I do them, voids the warranty.  Not sure how true, but not worth knocking my knuckles for what it cost to have them do here.  Total scam, but don't care.

Remember they sold oil with advert of how long it lasted, now it's every 10k kms :cheesy:  Sell sell sell.   Oil is so clean when I check the level it's hard to read.  What a scam.

Oh wait, that does make it on topic.   No oil changes w/EVs :intheclub:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

What a drag!  

I haven't needed to waste time going to any fuel stations in over 3 years

Yep, use to be a weekly stop, and a wasted 10 minutes & 1000-1500 baht gone for the luxury of being able to add to the local air pollution.

10 mins X 52 weeks = 8.6 hr waiting around to waste money :cheesy:

Now I spend that 50k baht on something I actually want.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Correct, if you use your EV only to go to the local 7/11 you can charge at home. Once you want to travel more than 300km in one go you will have to charge somewhere else.

So it's obvious that you have restricted your travelling to the limitations of the vehicle you own

Actually, we explore a lot more now locally, within that 125 km radius, being it free to venture out.  Hint: solar

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I never claimed that EVERY EV can drive 500 kms. Only that mine can.

IMG20231210193215.jpg

Well little boy, did you notice that my first post in this thread wasn't a reply to you? So this thread is not just about YOU YOU YOU.

And while I don't know either what the range is of the vehicle of the poster I replied to, it reflects the range of the majority of EV's currently in use.

And about your other ignorant answer about hybrids can't be charged, yes you are right. Your ignorance is that they charge themselves trough regenerative braking and by the internal combustion engine, which is FREE

Edited by BenStark
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Oh, did I mention that it costs me only about Thb 200 to fully charge my car from 0-100%?

Did you read the news that the discounts on electricity will not be extended?

And yeah you may charge cheaper, although you have paid a higher purchase price compared to an equivalent ICE car, repair costs are much higher, and let's talk again if you have to replace your battery or if you want to sell your car after a few years

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BenStark said:

And yeah you may charge cheaper, although you have paid a higher purchase price compared to an equivalent ICE car, repair costs are much higher, and let's talk again if you have to replace your battery or if you want to sell your car after a few years

Good talking point... how much would replacement batteries cost for the average EV?

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

One sees people popping up on social media, talking about out-of-warranty EV's, where they are stuck with a battery replacement cost of 60-70% of the new vehicle cost. Their car insurance won't cover it either.

Admittedly it can't be all that frequent, but it must give secondhand EV buyers something to think about.

Contrast that with an ICE, where a reconditioned engine is 20-30K baht, if it is blown.

• Agree 1