Is this the future for EV cars?

kwak250

On 1/1/2024 at 11:18 PM, Gweiloman said:

Based on this reasoning, you should not purchase anything as the technology will be better next year and the year after that. Except for ICEVs of course, as it has reached the pinnacle of its technology.

Who knows, in 10 years we may be able to teleport with the help of Scottie and cars won’t even be needed anymore.

Not just improvements in technology. EVs will go ahead in leaps and bounds as it's new technology - battery packs in 10 years could be vastly superior to the ones today - they how will you expect to get any money back on your outdated nd out of warranty EV? Phones get 'better' but I still wouldn'y buy a new one when a 5-year-old one does what I need it to do. 

It is good now to have EV and very convenient to travel all in Thailand.

Yet so many people commenting dont have EVs and talk whatever their opinion is and what they read online.

Example from a long time EV owner:

Last week I drove my EV to Rayong (BYD Atto 3), a 200KM drive used 40% of the battery (90->50%), going 90-100km/h most of the time using cruise control.

At 40%, I went to the PTT near by and charged from 40->100% in just 25 minutes while we had breakfast (80kW fast charge). I only paid 156 Baht for the top up.

A very comfortable and relaxing drive...

3 years ago when I had another EV, this was impossible.

I still dont recommend EV to everyone, but for me, I save a huge amount of money, I enjoy spirited driving with EV cars and I have a 5kW solar setup.

Of course crashing it and fixing it is not going to be the same as petrol car, what most people dont know is that EV cars are a LOT simpler than gas cars, a lot less components and dependencies. 

EV cars have no transmission, no fuel pumps or oil related parts, it's super simple because it has only:

1. The AC motor mounted directly in the axle, simple to replace, and still cheaper than a gas engine. no transmission, no axle for rwd, no differential exchange. 

2. The ECU controller and the charge controller. some simple computers, standard tech.

3. DC-AC and AC-DC converters, also super simple and old tech around for decades. the battery is DC, the motor is AC, so there needs to be live conversion for the car to work, and vice versa for regen braking.

4. Cooling system for the Battery and Motor, also super simple, just a heat pump shared with the air-conditioner. ( the BYD has a really good one, but not as good as the Tesla heat pumps)

5. Finally: The battery, the most expensive part but also very resilient and highly sealed and packed. It has to be a hard crash to compromise the battery. There are crap cars like the GWM ora good cat that have the battery way too low and exposed. Unlike BYD and Tesla where the battery is sitting higher and well protected.

The rest of the car which is just like any other car: disc brakes, tires, 12V system, air conditioner, electric steering, radar, sensors, etc.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

your statement also holds true for an electric car bought today, as eg. my electric vehicle

will continue to meet my needs even 10 or more years from now.

just like i drove my internal combustion engine cars for 10+ years, i will do the same with

my electric vehicle, even with the expectation that the technology will significantly improve.

electric cars may not be suitable for everyone, and it seems like you might be one of those individuals.

that's fine; feel free to stick with your ice car, i for sure don't mind!

Yes, and when the rest of the car can't keep up with the battery pack, it would be a fine addition to our solar system.

Phones have peaked on what they can do.   Just a better camera, if willing to pay.   Phones have peaked on new abilities so much, that now they make the battery not user friendly, so have to replace the phone, simply because the battery no longer holds a charge.   Main reason I upgraded my last 2 phones.  Couldn't find replacement batteries.

AND ... give you a 'fast' charger, to kill the battery faster :cheesy:

• Agree 2

The topic of this thread is “Is this the future for EVs”, showing a picture of a Tesla carrying around a presumably diesel generator to produce electricity to charge the Tesla if necessary. I will reserve comment on where this picture was taken but I think most of us can guess. 

What do some of you think is the future FOR EVs? What sort of advancements do you think will happen or what would you like to see? Longer range for some, faster charging speeds, both AC and DC? Most but not all have V2L but I believe in a year or so, every new EV/PHEV will support this functionality. Better regen than currently? More intelligent road planning, similar to something like ABRP? How about charging hubs like what the UK has, gridserve etc?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, and when the rest of the car can't keep up with the battery pack, it would be a fine addition to our solar system.

Phones have peaked on what they can do.   Just a better camera, if willing to pay.   Phones have peaked on new abilities so much, that now they make the battery not user friendly, so have to replace the phone, simply because the battery no longer holds a charge.   Main reason I upgraded my last 2 phones.  Couldn't find replacement batteries.

AND ... give you a 'fast' charger, to kill the battery faster :cheesy:

Phone batteries are based on Lithium Polimer, very compact and lightweight, but greatly degrades over the years, like down to 80% after only 600 cycles. 

It's true that many EVs are based on a battery that degrades over the cycles, NMC batteries. 

However most new EVs are using the new LFP batteries that can easily go 10-15 years and still hold more than 90% charge. LFP cannot be on a phone because they are 40% larger, and greedy phone makers, specially Apple, would not shoot themself in the foot by using new battery technology that lasts 10 years.

Just google for LFP batteries. New cars from Tesla, BYD, Neta, MG and most of Chinese cars. only the Europeans are behind with the old "trusted" battery chemistry. 

For your ref: https://www.pcmag.com/news/carmakers-are-switching-to-cheaper-ev-batteries-but-theres-a-big-trade

The issue with LFP is working at freezing temperatures, and Zeekr already solved that with their new LFP battery that works at extreme temperatures and can charge at 360kW. (Zeekr is owned by Geely/HK, that also owns Volvo) I have stock Geely and I expect 300% returns in 5 years. 

https://electrek.co/2023/12/14/zeekr-unveils-own-energy-dense-lfp-batteries-can-recharge-500km-in-15-minutes/

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, brfsa2 said:

Phone batteries are based on Lithium Polimer, very compact and lightweight, but greatly degrades over the years, like down to 80% after only 600 cycles. 

It's true that many EVs are based on a battery that degrades over the cycles, NMC batteries. 

However most new EVs are using the new LFP batteries that can easily go 10-15 years and still hold more than 90% charge. LFP cannot be on a phone because they are 40% larger, and greedy phone makers, specially Apple, would not shoot themself in the foot by using new battery technology that lasts 10 years.

Just google for LFP batteries. New cars from Tesla, BYD, Neta, MG and most of Chinese cars. only the Europeans are behind with the old "trusted" battery chemistry. 

Some new Tesla Hi performance variants do not use LFP so it is not just Europeans being behind. 

58 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Dont be led down the BS path by governments and environmentalists about EVs, their delushional people living in a fairy tale world. My next car will be another ICE vehicle. 

Delushional?

Not only can't you spell, you're ignorant (about EV's)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I look at the massive flow of traffic, six lanes above and six lanes below plus two lanes each side and wonder where all the electricity would come from if each one had to be plugged in every night. Somebody has not thought this through as most of Thailand's power comes from burning fossil fuel in the form of LNG.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

IMO the future of EV's is that once batteries are significantly reduced in size it will pave the way for other technologies already being designed. The EV is just the first step (I don't include the 'flying' type). Magnetic systems/technology are thought to be another step. Whether or not future technologies will be cheap enough for the 'average family' is a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Delushional?

Not only can't you spell, you're ignorant (about EV's)

Maybe cant spell, but know when I am trying to be brain washed by EV nuts.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Dont be led down the BS path by governments and environmentalists about EVs, their delushional people living in a fairy tale world. My next car will be another ICE vehicle. 

2 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Maybe cant spell, but know when I am trying to be brain washed by EV nuts.

Why don't you tell us what you consider to be BS about EV's?  Put some justification behind your claim.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Stay with it DUNROAMIN,  even though petrol stations will inevitably have less bowsers and more E.V. chargers meaning all the more for the E.V. owners who might need it, (not me) and all the less for the likes of you.

Again: please stay with it DUNROAMIN. :jap:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/31/2023 at 5:57 PM, Gweiloman said:

Sales of EVs have slumped in America, correct. Sales of EVs in Asia, especially Thailand are increasing. I have no objection to ICE cars other than the toxic fumes that diesel vehicles give off and the din they make as they go past.

V8 noise - the sound of freedom!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

ICE can't recharge its fuel, ICE requires more energy for its transmission system, more engine replacement parts, alternator, etc.  

EV’s are a heap of rubble without electricity, need to pack a generator and fuel out in the boondocks. Fuel is readily available everywhere. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I look at the massive flow of traffic, six lanes above and six lanes below plus two lanes each side and wonder where all the electricity would come from if each one had to be plugged in every night. Somebody has not thought this through as most of Thailand's power comes from burning fossil fuel in the form of LNG.

It seems to me like you have not thought through your comment. Why does every EV have to be plugged in every night?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, novacova said:

EV’s are a heap of rubble without electricity, need to pack a generator and fuel out in the boondocks. Fuel is readily available everywhere. 

So sorry that you live in the boondocks. Where I live, I have electricity coming out of a hole in the wall. The amazing wonders of technology, yay.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1