What Car would you buy now sub 800k Baht

On 1/2/2024 at 7:40 PM, Gweiloman said:

If you are a 10 and 2 driver, that gives me an idea of your age and driving level.

I don’t play with my phone when I’m driving as my new age car allows me hands free control of my phone if I need to answer a call. You should try it sometime, unless you are one of those drivers who can’t drive and talk at the same time like some old folks that I know.

I also don’t rely on autopilot to drive the car for me. Indeed, my car does not have autopilot and I wouldn’t trust it even if it did.

Is it that all ICEVs don’t have such modern features or only the overpriced Toyotas and Hondas?

Iam a one handed 12 driver.... they other is fat arming on the door.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:40 AM, tigerbeer said:

I was looking at BYD Dolphin and also some other hybrid cars (not many options at that price)

But what would you buy now sub 800K baht? No preference to EV, Petrol, or Hybrid. 

I'm on my 3rd new isuzu 4x4 top of range pickup. The latest one that I got 14 months ago so many new electronic safety features that are great. Go for one of these. Cheap servicing. 

On 1/2/2024 at 12:05 PM, Ralf001 said:

I'd use the 800k as a deposit on a Raptor !

One2car have a few used Raptors for around 800k baht. 

Smaller engine but nice vehicle. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

One2car have a few used Raptors for around 800k baht. 

Smaller engine but nice vehicle. 

Only milk and juice comes in 2litres.

Proper Ranger Raptors are V6 twin Turbo

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Only milk and juice comes in 2litres.

Proper Ranger Raptors are V6 twin Turbo

Suggest you check out the BHP stats on the 3 cylinder 1600cc Yaris GR Don't ever take one on on a windy road !

A couple have been chipped to 600 bhp!

Edited by Chongalulu

24 minutes ago, helloagain said:

I'm on my 3rd new isuzu 4x4 top of range pickup. The latest one that I got 14 months ago so many new electronic safety features that are great. Go for one of these. Cheap servicing. 

Way over his budget and it's still a ladder chassis and leaf spring ride comfort. I have 9 year old 3 litre manual Isuzu. It's a good all rounder but ride comfort is not their strong point 

On 1/2/2024 at 12:25 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Mitsubishi Mirage.

Good little worker.

Nippy (1300cc engine) and very easy to park.

Bought it for the wife in 2012 and lots of friends etc drove it as well.

No problems at all with it and the only time that it saw a garage was for the annual service.

Just sold it a month ago (wife has passed on) for 140,000 THB

Agree with all you say except that the engine is a 3 cylinder 1200cc . The Mitsubushi Attrage uses the same engine but is far more comfortable with its larger seating area . I have just bought my 2nd Attrage ( kept first one for 5 years ) at under 

700,000 baht ( top of the range but entry at just over 500,000 baht )  . As you say , very nippy and always leave most cars behind from the traffic lights . Economical too . Free 1 year insurance and 100,000 km or 3 years warrantee .Attrage is far more comfortable at longer trips compared to the Mirage , especially if carrying 4 or 5 people . Cruising at 100klm ph is easy with under 3000 rpm . Who wants to go faster than that on Thailand roads . Mitsubushi mechanical workshops are on a similar level to Honda for equipment , technicians and efficiency but much cheaper . Honda has a good reputation but you are paying for the name and their after sales servicing is not cheap .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chongalulu said:

Suggest you check out the BHP stats on the 3 cylinder 1600cc Yaris GR Don't ever take one on on a windy road !

A couple have been chipped to 600 bhp!

bwahahahaha, I want a 3.0 Raptor and your telling me to check out a Yaris.... what damn planet are you on!

On 1/2/2024 at 11:49 AM, Ben Zioner said:

Where do you live? Out here where potholes can be 8 inches deep, I'd suggest an entry level truck.

Or a crossover/SUV if you prefer a saloon/hatchback, as I do, my preference is NISSAN. My newer car is a JUKE 1.6 7yrs old, goes like sheet of a shovel when floored, my missus has a March 1.2 3cyl if you need power you have to turn of the A/C even in "sport mode" :cheesy:, my very old car is a 24yr old NV, same engine as the Juke, engine still bursts into life, but now sits idle as the Auto box is forked up, no reverse.

Edited by brianthainess

suzuki swift

bought one for my better half and it is doing really well. cheap on gas and plenty of power.

you can also opt for a suzuki celerio. smaller and cheaper. prolly great gas mileage and great for city driving can also handle the long haul well

6 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

0-100kmh in 12.7 seconds. You are not leaving many cars behind with that.

Who the heck gets to 100 kph from the lights in Thailand's urban areas. Almost impossible on Koh Samui's roads unless you are driving after midnight.

Maybe consider comparing the 0 - 40 kph figures.

I know that the Mirage was great for overtaking. Manual gearbox (automatics encourage lazy driving)

Drop to second gear.

Get past the minivan/water truck easy peasy.

Back to fourth then fifth. Again, during the day, fifth was a luxury here.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Or a crossover/SUV if you prefer a saloon/hatchback, as I do, my preference is NISSAN. My newer car is a JUKE 1.6 7yrs old, goes like sheet of a shovel when floored, my missus has a March 1.2 3cyl if you need power you have to turn of the A/C even in "sport mode" :cheesy:, my very old car is a 24yr old NV, same engine as the Juke, engine still bursts into life, but now sits idle as the Auto box is forked up, no reverse.

No offence but if your newer car is a 7 yr old car, don’t you think you are a bit out of touch with what’s available today? 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

No offence but if your newer car is a 7 yr old car, don’t you think you are a bit out of touch with what’s available today? 

No offence taken, took a new hybrid for a test drive, I found it awful to drive no real gearshift/auto lever you could feel, just a switch, I had to glance down for when driving to change modes, no spare wheel just a chemical repair kit, so if you got a real blowout you'd be stuck, the sensors were overbearing, just reversing out of their yard side sensors were going off, putting the brakes on when someone made a U turn and correctly across the fast lane I was in, to the slow lane, making the steering wheel shudder, I consider my eyes are my sensors, indicators unable to just hold for a second or two, either on or off only. plus being offered only 165k for my car in perfect condition with only 71,000 on the clock, That's when I made my made up to keep it. I find the juke a dream to drive.

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No offence taken, took a new hybrid for a test drive, I found it awful to drive no real gearshift/auto lever you could feel, just a switch, I had to glance down for when driving to change modes, no spare wheel just a chemical repair kit, so if you got a real blowout you'd be stuck, the sensors were overbearing, just reversing out of their yard side sensors were going off, putting the brakes on when someone made a U turn and correctly across the fast lane I was in, to the slow lane, making the steering wheel shudder, I consider my eyes are my sensors, indicators unable to just hold for a second or two, either on or off only. plus being offered only 165k for my car in perfect condition with only 71,000 on the clock, That's when I made my made up to keep it. I find the juke a dream to drive.

Fair enough, you’re not used to modern technology and more comfortable with what you know.

Just so you know however, newer cars are generally safer and more economical than older cars. Safety features are to benefit newer less experienced drivers and in most cases, can be turned off if you don’t need them. Changing driving modes on the go is a matter of muscle memory, much like shifting gears. Getting a flat tyre is an extremely rare occurrence and 99.9% of the time here in Thailand, a repair shop is usually close by. Nowadays, we also have something known as a tyre puncture repair kit, easier to use than changing tyres. As for a tyre blowout, yet to happen to me after over 40 years of driving.

Probable reason that you were offered so little for your car is because there is little demand for it.

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Juke has a Renault HR Engine, it was introduced in 2004.

did you do an engine conversion on the 27yr old NV  for it to have the same ?

39 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

It seems a lot of posters have comprehension problems. OP wants a sub 800k car mainly for city driving, in Chiang Mai and some posters are suggesting diesel powered pick up monstrosities. As if air pollution is not already a problem in CM. 

The pickup I suggested is not a diesel.

25 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Juke has a Renault HR Engine, it was introduced in 2004.

did you do an engine conversion on the 27yr old NV  for it to have the same ?

I said it is 24 yrs old and no conversion except an LPG conversion, it is a sport with smaller wheels, on gas with A/C on 0-100kph 8.3 sec. Yes the original car was Datsun sunny, not sure where Renault comes into it unless that is the diesel version. The newer Nissan sunny has the same running gear as my old NV.

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I said it is 24 yrs old and no conversion except an LPG conversion, it is a sport with smaller wheels, on gas with A/C on 0-100kph 8.3 sec. Yes the original car was Datsun sunny, not sure where Renault comes into it unless that is the diesel version. The newer Nissan sunny has the same running gear as my old NV.

I avoid sitting in old cars. The rattling will probably shake my dentures off.

But at least, according one poster, the Datsun Sunny (which I believe was originally 1.2 litre) is a classic car. Shouldn’t it be a Nissan Sunny and Datsun 1200 instead?

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

0-100kmh in 12.7 seconds. You are not leaving many cars behind with that.

only car to leave me behind at the lights was a Honda Accord . Try looking at 0 - 50 kmh which is realistic in towns .

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, superal said:

only car to leave me behind at the lights was a Honda Accord . Try looking at 0 - 50 kmh which is realistic in towns .

Can't see the point but hey ho each to their own

44 minutes ago, superal said:

In town, presumably stop and go traffic, even a bus can keep up so what’s the point of any decent acceleration? Acceleration is really only needed for overtaking or when joining traffic. Most EVs would leave the average ICEV in its dust.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1