What Car would you buy now sub 800k Baht

I was looking at BYD Dolphin and also some other hybrid cars (not many options at that price)

But what would you buy now sub 800K baht? No preference to EV, Petrol, or Hybrid. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Where do you live? Out here where potholes can be 8 inches deep, I'd suggest an entry level truck.

i live out in Chiang Mai but mostly just driving in the city. we have a chev captiva at home too and nissan Terra which i could borrow from my Brother in law if needed for bad roads

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

First choice Toyota.

2nd choice Honda.

Honda hasn't let me down. I have a CRV and a Jazz. However the latter is clearly unsuitable for local roads and I should replace it with an HRV. But the Thai RD gives us incentives to limit spending in LOS, so I might just sell it and live with the CRV only.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Mitsubishi Mirage.

Good little worker.

Nippy (1300cc engine) and very easy to park.

Bought it for the wife in 2012 and lots of friends etc drove it as well.

No problems at all with it and the only time that it saw a garage was for the annual service.

Just sold it a month ago (wife has passed on) for 140,000 THB

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Honda Jazz or City. Jazz is better and a little cheaper.

They no longer make the Jazz. It has been replaced by a City hatchback but much smaller enngine. BTW I love my Jazz, but will eventually replace it with an SUV or pick-up as they are better suited to the upcountry roads. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, novacova said:

Small compact car is pretty handy in the city 

Agree, that's why I bought my Suzuki Swift more than 10 years ago now, and it's been great. Having said that, I did drive from Phuket to Hua Hin a while back, with an Aussie friend on board and it was a good and comfortable ride.

Would probably buy another one when/if this one gives up the ghost.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

It depends on intended usage but I quite liked the Mazda 2 I had a passenger ride in.  Admittedly it was a fairly posh one. 

Not that I would buy it as it has an automatic gearbox.

I had a Mazda 2 for 5 years which I recently sold to a family friend. Good car for city driving, economical. Problem free except for the last year when the key sensor became defective and Mazda CM couldn’t fix it (car couldn’t start as it couldn’t detect the key. Nothing to do with the batteries, problem eventually solved when we put in a new sensor).

Not sure about the newest models but the infotainment system was sad, to say the least. Also nowhere near as comfortable as the Dolphin and you couldn’t fit 3 adults in the back.

What I like about Toyotas is the constant reliability and ease to work on, we have a vios and never have had any issues, though it’s a 2018 model and it’s currently parked in lamphun. What I like most about Honda is the visibility in the driver seat, big windows and large mirrors, we have a city and it’s here with us in cm and I like driving it over the the Toyota though had a couple of minor issues with it, radiator developed a leak last year and the a/c compressor died about three years ago which was surprising being a 2015 model. Wife also prefers driving the Honda city. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I would be buying a low mileage secondhand Vios, Mazda 2 or Mitsubishi for 400 - 500K baht, and enjoying the knowledge someone else has had the pleasure of new car depreciation.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

How does it go uphill with 4 people in it?

How steep of a hill? Also depends on knowing the road and driving style and not putting like mr magoo approaching a steep spot. We took the Toyota up to mae Kampong last year, and there’s a steep spot just before the waterfall, the vios 1.5L made it up the hill with two of us ok, though knowing it was just around the corner, I hammered down on the accelerator in low just in case. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

It’s been a while since I sat in any of the Hondas and Toyotas mentioned above. Do they have all the modern safety features like lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, electronic parking brakes, TPMS, blind spot monitoring, integrated dash cam, automatic tailgate etc etc?

Surprisingly basic they are, but seeing how these technologies are implemented on other vehicles, most notably EVs, that may not be a such a bad thing. Keep it simple? We're in Thailand after all.

• Thumbs Up 2