What Car would you buy now sub 800k Baht

Honda does not make Jazz anymore.

My wife has fully loaded Jazz. I don't like it. I find most Hondas uncomfortable for Farang. Also feel unsafe on highway, but that may be to missus insane driving.

I would buy dolphin. Comes with first year free insurance.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm looking at diesel Ford Ranger pickups, 5 years old can be had for 300-400kbht.

Most impractical for driving in CM city with its narrow sois and sharp turns.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

So why do they have it in premium cars such as Mercedes, BMWs etc?

I assume you don’t have it in your car so you probably don’t know what you’re missing. Adaptive cruise control for example is fantastic for city driving with stop and go traffic. Blind spot monitoring is really useful particularly in Thailand where bikes ignore turn signals and zip by on your left when you want to turn into a smallish soi. TPMS takes the guesswork out of kicking your tyres. Lane keeping assist can be useful if you need to take both hands off the steering wheel for a couple of seconds for whatever reason. Dashcams reduces your insurance premiums and an integrated solution is just so much more elegant. Automatic tailgate is really useful when both hands are occupied.

You could always go back to crank starting your car if you don’t need modern conveniences and safety features.

Agree with you. Personally I don't like adaptive cruise control but understand why many people do. My Volvo has it and can even steer itself on highways (they call it "Pilot Assist") but I find it more stressful than driving myself, always having to be alert for "what if" moments. It's good for showing people as a gimmick, but again I understand why others would like it.

Curious as to how the Seal does it in traffic? Again I never use it in the Volvo - it does stop and start traffic perfectly well but always seems to accelerate and brake too hard so I don't like it. Does the Seal do it smoothly?

Same as parking. It can detect a space and reverse park by itself but I find it much easier just to park on my own. Good for showing people as a gimmick though. Maybe I am just too old school....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Agree with you. Personally I don't like adaptive cruise control but understand why many people do. My Volvo has it and can even steer itself on highways (they call it "Pilot Assist") but I find it more stressful than driving myself, always having to be alert for "what if" moments. It's good for showing people as a gimmick, but again I understand why others would like it.

Curious as to how the Seal does it in traffic? Again I never use it in the Volvo - it does stop and start traffic perfectly well but always seems to accelerate and brake too hard so I don't like it. Does the Seal do it smoothly?

Same as parking. It can detect a space and reverse park by itself but I find it much easier just to park on my own. Good for showing people as a gimmick though. Maybe I am just too old school....

Not sure about the Seal but the Dolphin stop and start is quite smooth. For sure, smoother than a new relatively inexperienced driver but probably not as smooth as those of us that has been driving for over 40 years. The one thing I don’t like about the adaptive cruise control is when a car comes into your lane. Both my Dolphin and Haval are nervous “drivers” and tend to “brake “ quite hard so I only engage the cc when the road is clear and disengages it when I see heavier traffic up front.

With pilot assist, I only engage it when I need to take both hands off the steering for a few seconds. Easy to do on the Dolphin. Just a button press on the steering wheel.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I guess those who claims that Toyotas and Hondas are good value for money hasn’t really researched what else is available. Their loss I guess.

Another thing I like about vehicles with regenerative braking is when going downhill, you end up with more range than at the top of the hill. Maybe not an issue in places like Bangkok or Isaan but in CM,  coming down from Mon Jam or Doi Suthep, the miser in me is full of glee lol

I was in my daughter's car last week, (our Mazda 2 she inherited), and it still runs fine.  Only 180k kms on it.

Good for her knocking around the city, as doesn't do many O&As.  But ride wise, when we were on highway, and getting in & out, what a POS.  

Embarrassed I owned it for about 7 yrs.  And that was a step up from our previous Vios (now Yaris).  When I test drove the ZS (2020 ICE) within 100 meters I thought, WTF have I been doing with Toyota & Mazda.  Knew immediately there was no need to look at any other cars, and almost the exact same price as both, Vios & Mazda 2.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Not sure about the Seal but the Dolphin stop and start is quite smooth. For sure, smoother than a new relatively inexperienced driver but probably not as smooth as those of us that has been driving for over 40 years. The one thing I don’t like about the adaptive cruise control is when a car comes into your lane. Both my Dolphin and Haval are nervous “drivers” and tend to “brake “ quite hard so I only engage the cc when the road is clear and disengages it when I see heavier traffic up front.

With pilot assist, I only engage it when I need to take both hands off the steering for a few seconds. Easy to do on the Dolphin. Just a button press on the steering wheel.

Thanks, and yes, got you mixed up with Bandersnatch - forgot you had the Dolphin. 

Another excellent feature of the Dolphin is that you can use it to power your home in the event of a power outage. Or if you’re out and about, it also serves as a power point for a fan or laptop charging or grilling meat on the electric grill :)

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And all of that "crap" might misfunction and maybe the cars computer "insists" it has to be fixed.

No extra functions = no extra headache. 

Your tyre might get punctured. Better to walk I guess..

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Another excellent feature of the Dolphin is that you can use it to power your home in the event of a power outage. Or if you’re out and about, it also serves as a power point for a fan or laptop charging or grilling meat on the electric grill :)

The real issue with Chinese cars is reliability and maintenance. They maybe good for the first few years, as most cars are, but after that, watch out. Are all parts stocked locally? How many places can diagnosis and fix an issue, first time properly? What happens in an accident - lots of reports of an EV catching fire due to batteries being shorted, and the fire keeps reigniting after it is extinguished.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

What reasons might that be? Play with the so-called smart phone? Do the makeup? Or what?

IMHO if you want to take your hands of the steering wheel then stop the vehicle.

Lots of reasons. Quick stretch of the hands after 2 hours of continuous driving, lighting a cigarette etc. Unless you’re a seasoned driver, you probably won’t know.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

The real issue with Chinese cars is reliability and maintenance. They maybe good for the first few years, as most cars are, but after that, watch out. Are all parts stocked locally? How many places can diagnosis and fix an issue, first time properly? What happens in an accident - lots of reports of an EV catching fire due to batteries being shorted, and the fire keeps reigniting after it is extinguished.

Yes, these are real and valid concerns. But then, everyone has different risk profiles, in life and in financial matters. Some people go rock or mountain climbing, some others ride bikes. I try not to look at what might go wrong but on the positives instead.

3 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

I'm not inspired by many cars i see here, at least non-european ones.

I hope to never buy a car here.

Doable if in BKK or maybe Pattaya. Not so in other parts of Thailand.

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

Doable if in BKK or maybe Pattaya. Not so in other parts of Thailand.

I'm sure.

I'd probably end up with a truck if i lived in the sticks (please buddha, never let it happen 55)

• Haha 1