Company and wife's death...

Hi,

I am in the following situation:

- My wife passed away last year.

- She was shareholder of a company (owned 98%) and 2 of her sisters 1% each. My wife was the director of the company.

- The company has been dormant for 7 years.

- After wife's death the yearly reporting has not been reported.

- I do not have contact with her sisters. Basically all they wanted from my wife and I was money.

I have contacted the accountant and she suggests I contact the two sisters to have them close the company. The accountant is really terrible and I suspects sees a way to make money through me. She suggests I pay for the closure as the 2 shareholders will not pay.

Question: Can I as the husband get caught in all of this? What can happen to the sisters, if they do nothing in relation to the company (which they will)? I worry they might seek revenge or something.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry for your loss.

If you are not a director, you will have nothing to do with the situation.

My understanding is that only directors have the liabilities.

The good thing about this forum is that if my understanding is wrong - lots of posters will correct me.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry for your loss.

If you are not a director, you will have nothing to do with the situation.

My understanding is that only directors have the liabilities.

The good thing about this forum is that if my understanding is wrong - lots of posters will correct me.

Hi,

Thank for your reply. My name is not in the company. I was just worried that I could have inherited any problems as her husband. Also I dont want her sisters to have problems.

However, also asked my lawyer just now and he said not to worry. He says nothing will happen to anyone and the company will be closed 3 years after not filing.

The accountant however says the shareholders will be punished and the company must be closed properly. But she also has only money on her mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not your (7-year dormant) company so it's not your liability or responsibility, no need for you to get involved in someone else's company.  Leave it to the remaining shareholders to sort out and pay the fines, it's their problem now...unless you've inherited your wife's shares, of course.

2 hours ago, btwretail said:

The accountant however says the shareholders will be punished and the company must be closed properly.

There are relatively small fines for late filing or non-filing.  The auditor is one of those who can be fined so just let her get on with contacting the shareholders and winding up the company.  You cannot wind it up, neither can you be penalised.

Edited by Liverpool Lou