Is a 30 days extension (following a visa exempt entry) considered a visa run ?

Hi all,

I couldn't get a SETV in time so I entered mid December with a visa-exempt entry. I will need to do a 30 days extension and 2 visa runs (one being a 2 weeks stay in the Philippines) in order to stay until end of March. I thought I was good but I read on a website that you were allowed 1 30-days extension + 1 visa run or 2 visa runs per year.

Could anyone confirm that 1 30 days extension + 2 visa runs is possible ?

Thanks !

It is my understanding that the matter is not a question of "number of border runs", but more a question of time spent in the country.

Three months, or roughly 90 days, should not cause a problem, if managed properly. It could easily be seen as an extended "South East Asia tour".

The two week stay in the Phills will make it appear more so.  Even better if you have another long stay on the second border hop. Say in VT or KH.

I think entering via air will be best, and be certain to be able to show your exit flights.

It would be even better if on the final entry, your return flight is back to your home country.

If you had all flights booked ahead, then if there were any real questions, you could show your intent to "tour" SEA and return home.

The real problems start when you spend more than 120 days in Thailand within a 12 month stretch.

A friend recently spent 6 months in Thailand doing border hops every 30 days, but began to get interrogated on the last two entries.

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Lot of that is incorrect.

First up let's skip the term "visa run" 

So you entered mid dec.

Then plan to obtain 30 day extension.

Already mid Feb.

Then visit Philippines for couple of weeks.

You can fly back to Thailand and enter visa exempt for another 30 with option to extend by 30.

Even then could do border bounce for another visa exempt entry.

Chill. 

Thank you. To be more clear I would like to do a 30 days extension, then a visa run (most probably Ranong with Andaman Club) and then go to Phils for 2 weeks. My flights in and out of Thailand are from 13 December to 29 March, so 107 days in all. Of course I will plan the duration of my trip to the Philippines so that I don't have to stay more than 30 days in Thailand before flying home. What bothered me is the fact that a 30 days extension could be considered a visa run, but apparently that is wrong.

32 minutes ago, timendres said:

It is my understanding that the matter is not a question of "number of border runs", but more a question of time spent in the country.

Three months, or roughly 90 days, should not cause a problem, if managed properly. It could easily be seen as an extended "South East Asia tour".

The two week stay in the Phills will make it appear more so.  Even better if you have another long stay on the second border hop. Say in VT or KH.

I think entering via air will be best, and be certain to be able to show your exit flights.

It would be even better if on the final entry, your return flight is back to your home country.

If you had all flights booked ahead, then if there were any real questions, you could show your intent to "tour" SEA and+return home.

The real problems start when you spend more than 120 days in Thailand within a 12 month stretch.

A friend recently spent 6 months in Thailand doing border hops every 30 days, but began to get interrogated on the last two entries.

Wow he was lucky, I'm usually firmly requested to show my return ticket to my home country after a SETV = extension+ 2 weeks in the Phils

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, maloulou said:

What bothered me is the fact that a 30 days extension could be considered a visa run, but apparently that is wrong.

Yes.

A 30 day extension obtained at Thai immigration office simply adds 30 days to your current permission of stay. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes.

A 30 day extension obtained at Thai immigration office simply adds 30 days to your current permission of stay. 

Thank you DrJack, that was also my understanding, but I'd rather have confirmation, rules can change quickly with immigration. I feel better now ;)

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, maloulou said:

Thank you DrJack, that was also my understanding, but I'd rather have confirmation, rules can change quickly with immigration. I feel better now ;)

Also, as DrJack says above, it’s not a “ visa run “ it’s a border hop !! 
A visa run is when you go to another neighboring country ( Laos/ Cambodia/ Malaysia etc) and apply there at the Thai Embassy for a Tourist Visa. 
So what you are doing is border hops. And no, with flights , they are not restricted to 2. 

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Also, as DrJack says above, it’s not a “ visa run “ it’s a border hop !! 
A visa run is when you go to another neighboring country ( Laos/ Cambodia/ Malaysia etc) and apply there at the Thai Embassy for a Tourist Visa. 
So what you are doing is border hops. And no, with flights , they are not restricted to 2. 

Thank you !