Social security fund faces bankruptcy in a decade if action is not taken due to the Kingdom’s acute ageing crisis

webfact

image.jpeg

After the December 24th groundbreaking election of representatives to the Social Security Fund board, the Minister of Labour Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn expressed disappointment with the low turnout. Only 5% of workers took part. The new board members, however, have a pressing issue. How to cope with rising losses from the fund as the working population ages?

Thai Social Security Fund on the Brink: Pro-Democracy win overshadowed by looming financial crisis. Thailand’s Social Security Fund, valued at ฿2.36 trillion, faces imminent bankruptcy within a decade if corrective action is not taken based on its net asset value. 

Thailand held groundbreaking elections on Christmas Eve for both employer and employee representatives in the administration of the country’s mammoth Social Security system and a fund valued at the end of 2022 at ฿2.36 trillion. There was a low turnout but satisfaction that it represented a step forward for democracy under a new law introduced in 2015. The good news stops there. At the same time, disturbing data shows the fund has begun to make a loss and is haemorrhaging money. So much so, that if corrective action is not taken it faces being depleted within a decade or so.

A Christmas Eve election with a low turnout however marked a defining moment for Thailand’s social security landscape. It comes as the country faces yet another crisis. This time linked with the national pension pot.

It is a problem similar to other countries worldwide but nevertheless quite acute in Thailand.

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

Full story: Thai Examiner.com 2024-01-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2

It may help to allow expat foreigners make payments into the fund, in exchange for medical privileges', an increased rate of even 10 times the Thai rate (430 month) would be excellent value for all parties. It's also worth noting that the SSc tax take is the lowest in Asia/Pacific, as a percentage of total tax take.......is it any wonder the fund is in trouble.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JoePai said:

When you look into what these so called 'medical privileges' offer it's not that great and the 50k you are suggesting can pay for a lot at a Government hospital

The Social Security Fund helps pay for the Government Hospital system. I was suggesting that foreigners pay an increased monthly charge for access to that hospital system, I never imagined for one moment that might include private hospitals.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

At the same time, disturbing data shows the fund has begun to make a loss and is haemorrhaging money. So much so, that if corrective action is not taken it faces being depleted within a decade or so.

Raise the retirement age and reduce the pay-out... any bets?

• Agree 1

Just now, hotchilli said:

Raise the retirement age and reduce the pay-out... any bets?

I think the cash draw is more the outlay spent for medical that the paltry amount each month for retiree's.

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

When you look into what these so called 'medical privileges' offer it's not that great and the 50k you are suggesting can pay for a lot at a Government hospital

you are totally wrong. i have it and it paid for many surgeries and my medication. also, it does not matter if you have pre-existing conditions as all will be treated with same care. i am fortunate as my hospital has great doctors that are vthe same ones you will see in the high end private hospitals. my guess joepai is that you dont have it...

imho the current fool sreta should begin investing in it instead of wasting billions on a hairbrained populist scheme that is the 10 000bht giveaway

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

you are totally wrong. i have it and it paid for many surgeries and my medication. also, it does not matter if you have pre-existing conditions as all will be treated with same care. i am fortunate as my hospital has great doctors that are vthe same ones you will see in the high end private hospitals. my guess joepai is that you dont have it...

imho the current fool sreta should begin investing in it instead of wasting billions on a hairbrained populist scheme that is the 10 000bht giveaway

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

Both you guys might be dangerous if you learned to read properly!  My comment was in favor of giving foreigners access to government health care, as was JoePai's

The country could adopt something like the UK national insurance system. 

The ageing population and reducing birth rate may make that a bit tricky though.

A reducing birth rate isn't so bad because, although the number of contributors to the system becomes fewer, so does the number of recipients.

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Both you guys might be dangerous if you learned to read properly!  My comment was in favor of giving foreigners access to government health care, as was JoePai's

well, foreigners can get it. get a job that offers it as the health care insurance. no way will they offer this to anyone on a retirement visa, or a marriage visa. they would never break even they would just keep going under but faster

4 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Wait, is Mike Lister the forums Quant?

- I only know that term from the movie The Big Short

- Also, I just tried rava fries, Indian seasoning, delish! 

No, I'm Methodist

• Haha 1