My observations for a recent trip to Pattaya.

advancebooking

12 hours ago, morrobay said:

Could care less about when/where/who/what all drinking. But these people coming to Pattaya to smoke cigarettes and waddle around the malls?? Don't they have cigarettes and malls where they come from?. Sure you can find up scale people here in selected venues. But the general ------- public here around the town are mostly overweight cigarette smoking slobs.

The totty is better in Pattaya malls that the boring <deleted><deleted> they came from.

Which malls are they smoking in? Isn't smoking inside public places banned in Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, skipping my breakfast, but instead going to a beer bar at 8 a.m., having to order and drink beer at that time... Call me old-fashioned, but I don't drink beer before late afternoon. - I am lonely too, but I don't sit in a beer bar early in the morning, just staring ahead of me...

If you had ever been in a Pattaya bar you'd know that you could have a tea or coffee, and probably get a breakfast brought in for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

n my view, on my brief returns to the city, it has done nothing but continue downhill since. Sure, I am getting older, but I definitely much preferred Pattaya in the nineties and early 2000s to what it has become now.

I would choose Rayong, Koh Kood, Koh Chang, Krabi, over Pattaya any day, but it's a personal choice.

You are welcome to keep the traffic jams, violent crime, whorehouses, and filthy polluted beaches.

I agree with most. The city has gone downhill in fun with all the new development which is all about trying to attract rich people that don't spend in the city.

In the 90s it was a fun city for big boys, and now it's just a mess. Lots more people and no investment in public infrastructure worth a damn.

However, none of those other places has the facilities of Pattaya.

Agree with traffic jams, violent crime, and filthy polluted beaches, but, pray tell, where are the whorehouses? Pattaya doesn't do brothels or bordellos, so where then?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You appear to know as little about the bar scene as the OP- not much. Have you actually spent ANY time in the bars you apparently despise. can't have talked with (m)any bar girls to have that idea.

Why would the need to? Op is reporting what they saw walkkng down the street.

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree with most. The city has gone downhill in fun with all the new development which is all about trying to attract rich people that don't spend in the city.

In the 90s it was a fun city for big boys, and now it's just a mess. Lots more people and no investment in public infrastructure worth a damn.

However, none of those other places has the facilities of Pattaya.

Agree with traffic jams, violent crime, and filthy polluted beaches, but, pray tell, where are the whorehouses? Pattaya doesn't do brothels or bordellos, so where then?

Who cares, just go somewhere else. It's nicer there.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, skipping my breakfast, but instead going to a beer bar at 8 a.m., having to order and drink beer at that time... Call me old-fashioned, but I don't drink beer before late afternoon. - I am lonely too, but I don't sit in a beer bar early in the morning, just staring ahead of me...

The cleaners come in early at Nirun so they have to get out for a few hours!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The cleaners come in early at Nirun so they have to get out for a few hours!

How is it there? Have heard bad reports. I stayed there at an Airbnb several years ago but not since then.

Edited by JimTripper

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

How is it there? Have heard bad reports. I stayed there at an Airbnb several years ago but not since then.

You know better than me then mate! I only stepped into one once visiting!

I doubt it got much better, but it is cheap, near many facilities and there is a lot of stuff getting built nearby, I think Thai style food market. 

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I'm not sure, we get the memberships through our bank.

What bank, is it Kasikorn? 

I've got a great relationship with Kasikorn bank, safety box and Wisdom credit card, maybe I should ask what perks I should be receiving. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:50 PM, JimTripper said:

Why would the need to? Op is reporting what they saw walkkng down the street.

Stating "Because most of them despise sex pats and sex tourists, they have zero in common with them and only interact with these foreign sad sacks when absolutely necessary." is not what he "observed"- it's an opinion, and an opinion that needed to be challenged as IMO not a valid one.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Many people don't understand this, but...

The reason a lot of guys end up drinking here is because it's not that great living here. When you are drinking everything suddenly feels Ok. It's hard to understand unless you have been here for years.

So now you have the real reason as to the alcoholic problems you see and what's wrong with those guys at the bar in the morning. A lot of them would not be alcoholics if they stayed in their home country.

Having a drink in a bar and watching the world go by does not make anyone an alcoholic.

You seem to really hate living in LOS, given "because it's not that great living here"

I loved living in LOS, and IMO most on here do too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

A lot of them would not be alcoholics if they stayed in their home country.

Probably couldn't afford it despite cheaper alcohol! Other bills like heating, rent, water, transport, repairs dwarf Thailand costs. Big worry item is medical services here though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 12:03 PM, freeworld said:

Did you eat at any restaurants?

In the 80's travelling in Austria and Germany, observed people at 7 in the morning dressed in business suits drinking beer.

Same as in Switzerland, still today, some restaurants open at 5.30 a.m. for that reason. Especially around railway stations. 

Cheers

Edited by Mentors65
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mentors65 said:

Same as in Switzerland, still today, some restaurants open at 5.30 a.m. for that reason. Especially around railway stations. 

Cheers

Fine tradition. Didn't Winston Churchill have champagne with his breakfast?

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2024 at 12:38 PM, khunjake said:

Exactly. Likely just the yocal farang gettin’ their buzz on who dont/wont pay for boon boom. Hence alone with a beer in hand to talk to. Miserable life. Pats really is the sweaty armpit of Thailand. 

I respect the guys who can sit alone more then I do guys who are buying other people drinks. At least there is some dignity there. Everyone knows buying other people drinks in pattaya is Bs. They are not gaining any respect doing that, just fake smiles and looking like a chump.

44 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Everyone knows buying other people drinks in pattaya is Bs.

No, I buy drinks for a few ladies I find entertaining and am fond of, known them for quite a while. They're good people. I leave their bar in a good mood.

47 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

They are not gaining any respect doing that

You're extremely worried about respect. Why is that? 

• Like 1

My first experience in Pattaya was during a ship visit in 1986.  It was great!
Returned in 2007.  Took a bus from BKK to Pattaya.  Stayed one night and left.
Never been back.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I respect the guys who can sit alone more then I do guys who are buying other people drinks. At least there is some dignity there. Everyone knows buying other people drinks in pattaya is Bs. They are not gaining any respect doing that, just fake smiles and looking like a chump.

Haha. I think they dont care about getting respect. Its more about getting laid...

13 hours ago, morrobay said:

Taken today . The Endless roadworks (2nd rd & Pattaya Tai) again. And the Endless sh*tshow along Beach Rd.

I caught a glimpse of some roadworks that have started on the Southbound carriageway of Sukhumvit between North Rd and the flyover. (I was going up the flyover heading towards the motorway). I will be avoiding that stretch, but any chance of some pictures of it?

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I caught a glimpse of some roadworks that have started on the Southbound carriageway of Sukhumvit between North Rd and the flyover. (I was going up the flyover heading towards the motorway). I will be avoiding that stretch, but any chance of some pictures of it?

Way outta my territory. And wtf would I want to go up there and take photo for??

1 minute ago, morrobay said:

Way outta my territory. And wtf would I want to go up there and take photo for??

I thought it was what you did for amusement......I could say the same wrt Tai/2nd junction myself. Trying to get a bead on how it is.....

Go to San Francisco and take the "Drug Addicts in the Streets Crapping Themselves" tour. Don't trip on the syringes. Or maybe a real adventure .... "Bulletproof Chicago Crime Tour Bus".  Or the New York "Fight an Illegal Alien for Your Dinner Tour".  They're all pretty good!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1