British tourist’s lost wallet returned by Thai hotel worker

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The immigration officials proceeded to examine their records, which revealed that the wallet belonged to 48 year old British national Paul Davies. Davies was residing in a leased house in Mae Nam, a subdistrict on Koh Samui Island.

So, there can be a useful side to the TM 30 reporting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

We need more stories like this.....

Had  at least 4 stories like this in the past 3 weeks, but usually found on the back seat of Bangkok taxi's, so this is a new one !!

years ago, i lost my annual london rail ticket, value over 1K GBP, plus bank and credit cards in a wallet. someone found it and returned it. happens all the time, all over the world. not sure why such events generate media, and indeed asean.com, attention. really, nothing to see here.

Fantastic,

An honest employee. I hope he is rewarded by the owner in decent fashion.

That will bring the tourists flooding in.

Not really worthy of a news headline, though, one would have thought. I suppose it makes a change from being found in the back of a taxi.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Cronulla Sharks handed a dream run while Melbourne Storm and Parramatta Eels face horror schedule in 2024 as NRL draw is released, and other top stories from November 13, 2023.

I love these NRL updates 👍

What's the Bronco's 2024 run look like?

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

A British holidaymaker on Koh Samui Island in Thailand is set to return home with a pleasant memory following a hotel worker’s return of his lost wallet during the new year celebrations. The wallet was found on Bophut Beach by Pakdee Trirat, an employee at the Holiday Inn Samui, amidst the festivities on the night of December 31.

"Cronulla Sharks handed a dream run while Melbourne Storm and Parramatta Eels face horror schedule in 2024 as NRL draw is released, and other top stories from November 13, 2023."

Surat Thani Immigration Police Chief Naruewat Phutthawiro reported that the wallet, holding Thai and other currencies equating to roughly 30,000 baht, along with credit cards and a driving licence, was brought to the immigration police by Pakdee."

I fail to see what "Cronulla Sharks' dream run" has to do with a lost wallet? :wacko:

• Haha 2

Still baffles me why people carry/need mounds of cash on them…first of all how do  you get 30k cash into a wallet…

never should have more than 3k baht in your possession as a general rule and definitely not walking aimlessly on a beach, a hike, in congested tourist areas ripe with thieves and low lives 

stupidity and humans are interchangeable 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chongalulu said:

The finder was even more pleased with himself after receiving the reward of a crisp green 20 baht note. A fairytale ending for all... including the tourist board 😁

TAT need the publicity to gloss over the cynicism surrounding the release of their latest projected tourism figures for 2024! (From memory, Phuket are going to get 24 million tourists this year - maybe 25 million in 2025?) They'll need a bigger island by mid century!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The immigration officials proceeded to examine their records, which revealed that the wallet belonged to 48 year old British national Paul Davies. Davies was residing in a leased house in Mae Nam, a subdistrict on Koh Samui Island.

Ai, and he told his wife he was on a business stay in India. 

2 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Still baffles me why people carry/need mounds of cash on them…first of all how do  you get 30k cash into a wallet…

never should have more than 3k baht in your possession as a general rule and definitely not walking aimlessly on a beach, a hike, in congested tourist areas ripe with thieves and low lives 

stupidity and humans are interchangeable 

"Surat Thani Immigration Police Chief Naruewat Phutthawiro reported that the wallet, holding Thai and other currencies equating to roughly 30,000 baht, along with credit cards and a driving licence, was brought to the immigration police by Pakdee."

How do you get 30k cash into a wallet? First of all, 30K of what currency? Secondly, just mix your currencies as stated above - "stupidity and humans are interchangeable"?

2 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Is honesty in Thailand such a rare event that a lost wallet becomes newsworthy? Kudos to the hotel worker 

Not really. Several years ago, I forgot to pick up my ATM card after cash withdrawal at the Central Airport Plaza(Chiang Mai province).

5-10 minutes later, I noticed I did not retrieve it.  And anxiously reported to that same branch(at Central Airport Plaza).  Bank Teller said. "Mr. is this your card?" And she gave that card back to me.  She added that one stranger  found it and brought it to this branch.

When I do grocery shopping at the public market(e.g. Muang Mai, Chiang Mai Gate), their price quote for the weight of the item is usually very accurate. 

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

9 x 100USD?

I carry cash so that I can go shopping. Cash cannot be hacked or whatever. Safest form of payment.

Go to the local minimart

Litre of Pastis

Bottle of Mussel Bay

Box of Chang

Box of Leo No 8

24 x coke

24 x sprite

24 x small cans Chang

24 x small cans Singha

I am not going to get that lot with just 3,000 THB in my wallet. That is my typical shopping list so I will take 10,000 THB and still have enough for the rest of the day.

• Haha 1

This was a long time ago probably around 2004. I had gone to soi cowboy where i was very regular and had been drinking draft Chang in the small bar next to Afterskool which I now know was a crazy thing to do back then as it could be just about any strength,

I had just ben paid for a job I had done and had around 25,000 baht in my wallet. I was in Joes Bar by memory which is no longer there as Sammy died, apparently I was drunk as a skunk, left there and went to the open air bar at the start of cowboy on the 23 side. Started taking all my clothes of and was trying to go to my bed which was actually the bar floor I am told. I had never been that drunk in my life before and always knew what I was doing. Somehow I got home and when I woke up the next morning my wallet and my watch had gone.

The following evening I went back to Cowboy and was walking down the soi heading to Tilac when someone called out my name........it was the mama san from a bar I had been in earlier. She told me that I had gone to the open air bar and was trying to go to sleep etc  so she took my wallet and watch in case someone robbed me and paid a motorcycle guy to take me home which was in Baan Suksan Soi 23 at the time.

Not one baht was missing and I offered her 5k but she wouldn't take it........she accepted 500 baht and a couple of drinks........Another time I had dropped my wallet in the lift iof my condo and the lady on the 4th floor had found it and gave it back to me untouched......I have found most Thai's to be very honest people 

Edited by Tanlic
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, borderhopper2005 said:

When I do grocery shopping at the public market(e.g. Muang Mai, Chiang Mai Gate), their price quote for the weight of the item is usually very accurate. 

I agree with your comment about honest Thais.

Laundry always sends back money that I have left in my shorts.

Lost my wallet once - got it back.

I often forget my bike key and leave it in the bike. It is always there when I return - except once when a security guard took it for safe keeping.

Never lock my car or my house. No issues.

The only bit that I disagree with is the local market here on Samui. They rip off foreigners.

I have lived here for more than 20 years and they just make up the numbers. Stopped using them.

I call this fake news... no photo of the fool who "lost" the wallet, no photo of who "returned" the wallet, no finger pointing, no photo of half the RTP. 

Edited by Aussie999
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

I call this fake news... no photo of the fool who "lost" the wallet, no photo of who "returned" the wallet, no finger pointing, no photo of half the RTP. 

Didn't have time to organize the giant poster necessary for the background, and no excuse for the SWAT team to attend either.

• Sad 1