Vietnam fines TikTok influencer suggesting Cambodia's Angkor Wat is in Thailand

webfact

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Ankgor Wat used to be in Thailand, before the French stole it.

They did a hell of a job moving it.

This might be a gesture of good will toward the Cambodians, who still haven't forgiven VN for invading in the 1978, even though it rescued them from Pol Pot.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

They did a hell of a job moving it.

This might be a gesture of good will toward the Cambodians, who still haven't forgiven VN for invading in the 1978, even though it rescued them from Pol Pot.

To be clear, the Siem Riep area used to be part of Thailand, and Thai was the local language.

It was basically the same as Isaan, part of the reason so many Thais on the north side of the border speaker a Khmer dialect - there didn't used to be a border between Siem Riep and Isaan.

3 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

Vikings got there first :-)

But after all "strange happenings" on that continent last decade, not sure we want it :-)

I think the Inuit people got there a wee bit before "Vikings" were a thing 😂

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Like the USA used to be part of the United Kingdom , which in turn was part of the Roman Empire , so maybe Italy should reclaim it .

But then again , a lot of Thailand was part of the Khmer Empire so ...........time passes and things change.....sometimes quite a lot.

I think you will find the island's of Britain were already occupied by the kingdoms of local tribes of Britain's, Celts, Picts well before the Romans who never quite completed their conquest. But, I know what you mean I'm just being a D. sorry pedantic... lol

41 minutes ago, BritScot said:

I think you will find the island's of Britain were already occupied by the kingdoms of local tribes of Britain's, Celts, Picts well before the Romans who never quite completed their conquest. But, I know what you mean I'm just being a D. sorry pedantic... lol

Yup, after all, the Romans never built Stonehenge ,Maiden Castle , Silbury Hill etc.

That's something I really miss about England. So much history that has survived the ravages of time and can be easily visited. Thailand does not have as many such places. Some yes, but nowhere near as many.

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

To be clear, the Siem Riep area used to be part of Thailand, and Thai was the local language.

It was basically the same as Isaan, part of the reason so many Thais on the north side of the border speaker a Khmer dialect - there didn't used to be a border between Siem Riep and Isaan.

Not quite correct.

Siem Reap was never part of Thailand. It was, for a short time, controlled by the then Thai King but it was not part of Thailand. The name Siem Reap translates as "victory over Siam". Given by the Cambodian King when the Thais were repelled.

The reason many Thais near to the now border with Cambodia speak Northern Khmer is because it's their heritage. Parts of lower Isaan were in Cambodia, until Thailand moved the border south.

Hence the disputed claim on Khmer temples along the border. Built by Northern Khmers (Cambodians) but now within Thai borders.