Buying raw chicken and vegetables Jomtien beach

Nillerille

1 hour ago, Nillerille said:

What options are there close to Jomtien beach to buy groceries? I am mainly looking for chicken and vegetables to make food at home.

You have the Rompho market across the road from Immigration. All the fresh vegetables and both raw and cooked chicken.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nillerille said:

What options are there close to Jomtien beach to buy groceries? I am mainly looking for chicken and vegetables to make food at home.

MAKRO is doable by songthaew.....as is Lotus'

I buy all my veggies at Rhampo Market.  Usually fresher than Makro and the supermarkets, reasonable prices.  Chicken and meats at Makro.  I figure the rapid turnover of product in the bins makes freshness more likely.  

One of the poultry dealers at Rampho is somewhat arbitrary with his prices and does try to overcharge if he thinks he can get away with it.

I do not like the open market on Soi Wat Boon Kanchana.  Does not seem as clean and cared for to me.  The vendors there  seem to practice dual pricing as there are many Russian shoppers from nearby condo's.

Edited by dddave

2 hours ago, dddave said:

I buy all my veggies at Rhampo Market.  Usually fresher than Makro and the supermarkets, reasonable prices.  Chicken and meats at Makro.  I figure the rapid turnover of product in the bins makes freshness more likely.  

One of the poultry dealers at Rampho is somewhat arbitrary with his prices and does try to overcharge if he thinks he can get away with it.

I do not like the open market on Soi Wat Boon Kanchana.  Does not seem as clean and cared for to me.  The vendors there  seem to practice dual pricing as there are many Russian shoppers from nearby condo's.

Strange that you don’t go to Ratanakorn. Perhaps too early for you?

• Sad 1

What’s wrong with Foodmart at the airport bus station? A lot closer to the beach than the places above, and an amazingly good range of products for such a small supermarket. Very cheap chicken fillets, and a reasonable range of fruit and vegetables.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CygnusX1 said:

What’s wrong with Foodmart at the airport bus station? A lot closer to the beach than the places above, and an amazingly good range of products for such a small supermarket. Very cheap chicken fillets, and a reasonable range of fruit and vegetables.

In Bangkok Foodland chicken is so cheap its almost free. Must be the same in pats

• Confused 1

As far as I can tell, a lot of supermarket "fresh" chicken is frozen - my local Big C sometimes puts it on display too early and it is still a solid lump.

I've always found it odd that, in Thailand, breast fillets are virtually given away while the rubbish cuts are more prized.

Edited by London Lowf

31 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I live here since 30 years, and the last thing that would come up in my mind is buying meats on a market/

I have seen it all, including meat been hung out in the sun all day, to seeing the meat on display be sprayed with Baygon.

No thanks, I buy my meats in a supermarket

Maybe you should try a covered market and turn up early for when the meat is freshly delivered. That’s when I buy, but only from the large fresh market; Ratanakorn. Beef is much cheaper and pork much fresher than the supermarkets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

As far as I can tell, a lot of supermarket "fresh" chicken is frozen - my local Big C sometimes puts it on display too early and it is still a solid lump.

I've always found it odd that, in Thailand, breast fillets are virtually given away while the rubbish cuts are more prized.

Breast of chicken is dull. I don’t use it for anything. But foreigners are used to it being the most expensive cut, so it’s a boon for them that it’s the cheapest. It’s also the easiest to handle for the usual hapless expat 🤭

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

Maybe you should try a covered market and turn up early for when the meat is freshly delivered. That’s when I buy, but only from the large fresh market; Ratanakorn. Beef is much cheaper and pork much fresher than the supermarkets. 

Why would I wake up in the middle of the night to buy my food, if I can buy it at any time of the day in the supermarket?

Yes it maybe be a day older and cost a little more, but at least I'm sure there haven't been thousands of flies on it, and it hasn't been sprayed with an insecticide.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Why display yourself as an idiot if you could have avoided that by not posting?

Sometimes it’s really worth the development of a sense of humour. 
Do you expect everyone to know your movements and lifestyle? Not everyone here is one hundred years old and goes to bed at 6pm or some might get up early and go to the market in the early morning. The meat doesn’t rot in the meantime and no one is spraying anything on to the meat. They are not some small individual vendor in a small market where they need to keep the meat for days or even weeks. The ones that do that are obvious. But go along in the morning and take a look for yourself. I might have uploaded a video before. Meat looks much fresher and firmer than what often looks like pre-frozen meat from some super/hypermarkets. Of course not all are the same. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

During my stay in Jomtien last year I found Food Mart on Thappraya Road a few minutes north of Rompho to be the most accessible true grocery.  The baht bus that runs along Jomtien beach road takes a turn right before Dongtan Beach and continues northward right past that Food Mart, so you can make a grocery run for 20 baht round trip. 

10 hours ago, BenStark said:

I live here since 30 years, and the last thing that would come up in my mind is buying meats on a market/

I have seen it all, including meat been hung out in the sun all day, to seeing the meat on display be sprayed with Baygon.

Where do they get it I wonder, been in a freezer a year or two maybe. 

My Mrs cooks at home and meat comes from the local wet market.... can't say I have had issue.... seen stuff looking off wrapped in plastic in supermarkets, and they have their tricks too!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, BenStark said:

Yes it maybe be a day older and cost a little more, but at least I'm sure there haven't been thousands of flies on it, and it hasn't been sprayed with an insecticide.

Now this is the canonical position of ANF Poster Food Science. I'm really surprised that so many have now come out and boldly endorsed the Thai wet markets for buying meat. Must be the new convenience of the Rompho market and Makro.

Previously we'd always have a chorus of gasps from horrified cupcakes who couldn't hack it in the fleet. Page after page of disgust at the idea of eating meat covered with dirt, flies, insecticide, snot, and phlegm. And then smug self-satisfaction with one's lordly wealth and intelligence to eat only delicately packaged meat.  Times have changed. :licklips:

Edited by BigStar

On 1/8/2024 at 10:10 AM, BigStar said:

Previously we'd always have a chorus of gasps from horrified cupcakes who couldn't hack it in the fleet. Page after page of disgust at the idea of eating meat covered with dirt, flies, insecticide, snot, and phlegm

Sure there's been the odd negative, bitter comment regarding the above but  I can't remember reading any of these comments recently. 

You're always going to get the odd miserable member commenting on AN forums. 

On 1/7/2024 at 8:05 PM, BenStark said:

Foodmart is a supermarket

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the responses everyone! I ended up going to makro. It was a 40 baht motorbike taxi ride. Took my bagpack and filled it with chickenbreast with skin that costs 60 baht per kilo. Awsome! 

I also went to check out Ratanakorn market and bought fruits and veggies there. At the time I was there there was no chicken anywhere to be seen (sunday at 13:00 or so). But thats ok. Im very satisfied with the chicken I got at makro.

I will go to Foodmart also to check it out. 

• Like 1