Can Thailand detonate the baby boom it needs as retirement time bomb looms?

webfact

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You might want to check out the difference between colonoscopy and colostomy!

Ha ha , I knew it was wrong when I typed it but was lazy to check, 

Still....if the crap fits .....

Reminds me of my mum who was choking on her Christmas pudding

' Cough cough , Oh....I have something stuck in my sarcophagus '

6 hours ago, Denim said:

Perhaps if the population declines and the available workforce shrinks then employers will have to pay higher wages to fill their vacancies.

I recall from a history lesson that this happened in England after the plague. Workers found themselves in demand and had a greater choice of where to work. As a result they got higher wages and their living standards improved.

But getting work for the younger population is not the problem. The problem is the older generations are living longer and becoming a burden on a reduced workforce. After the plague, there weren't many old people around. Modern medicine is to blame. People need to be dying younger.

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

If adoption is allowed by samesex couples there would be more kids, sorry to see  that you don't understand.... Homophobic reaction. Indeed samesex can't get kids, but they be adopted and lesbians maybe will carry their own babies, but the Government is doin nothing for them.. Still have to wait maybe another year...or more... promises, but no actions

Well... I did say produce offspring. Not adopt offspring from other Thai. By the way, I am curious. How can they adopt a child if the Thai are in a same sex marriage? I did not know 2 women can make a baby together with only each other. or 2 men for that matter. Perhaps you misunderstood what I had said. 

13 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

By 2100, robotics and AI will take care of GDP. Countries like China, Japan, Thailand, etc. will have severe issues because of negligible immigration. The migration of Indians from the Indian subcontinent will silently conquer the USA (replacing European Americans with Indian Americans), and Western Europe will always be vassal states of the US (the USA has to take care of Europe's security so that they can run their nanny state paradise). 12% of the CEOs of the S&P 500 are now first-generation Indian Americans, and more C-suite executives are waiting in line to replace European Americans. By 2100, I bet 80% of the CEOs of the S&P 500 will be Indian Americans. The US will retain its dominance and economic might in the world due to immigration. Of course, there will be roadblocks, but America will overcome them.

I rest my case your honor. You've pretty much made my case, I have always thought immigrants are the best part of what America has to offer, always has been and always will be. Blue blooded Americans offer very, very little in the way of contribution to society other than their arrogance and intolerance. Immigrants are what makes America great and as they say the cream rises to the top. There's a reason why there's so many Indian CEOs, perhaps they are genetically superior. What a concept. Dark men beating out white men. Ha! When it comes to intelligence they're certainly a lot more intelligent than the average white guy I run into in the US. 

And I'm a white man so not even start calling me a racist. I'm just telling it as I'm seeing it. Immigrants are the best of what America has to offer, hands down. 

I won't even apologize to the proud boys, they can suffer in their own self created misery and delusion. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Empty lives; been through a lot of excitement during my 71 years but nothing beats having children. Even sex feels better when trying to conceive.

Well what might appear  empty to you is bordering on paradise to many millions of us. Though I like kids, I've never had the desire to own any. One hour with one is plenty.

And I feel that deciding not to have children was likely single-handedly the greatest, wisest, and most astute decision that I've made in this lifetime! I have not missed them for a nanosecond, and I never will. It's a personal choice, we all have to make these kind of decisions. 98% choose to go the conventional route and have children. For me children were never an option. And I'm infinitely thankful for that. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And I feel that deciding not to have children was likely single-handedly the greatest, wisest, and most astute decision that I've made in this lifetime!

"Single-handedly", at least you are aware that you can't conceive through onanism.

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why don't Thai females use contraception?

Possibly it's not taught about in schools where most young mothers experience their first sexual encounter.  Possibly it's more complicated to buy pills/diaphragms/IUDs requiring a doctor's consultation than sheaths easily obtained in any supermarket/chemist.

On 1/8/2024 at 7:23 AM, Henryford said:

The problem is that people's idea of "surviving" has changed. My wife didn't work when we were bringing up children so we had to make sacrifices. Few foreign holidays, nights out etc. Now just "surviving" means 3 foreign holidays a year, 2 mobile phones, streaming tv and sky sports, 2-3 nights out a week, new leased BMW every 3 years. No wonder people can't "afford" to have children.

In your opinion, I like to deal in actual facts 

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Possibly it's not taught about in schools where most young mothers experience their first sexual encounter.  Possibly it's more complicated to buy pills/diaphragms/IUDs requiring a doctor's consultation than sheaths easily obtained in any supermarket/chemist.

Can buy condoms just about anywhere. There isn't any excuse except stupidity IMO. Obviously the guys are going to try to do it without, but they are not the ones getting pregnant.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well what might appear  empty to you is bordering on paradise to many millions of us. Though I like kids, I've never had the desire to own any. One hour with one is plenty.

And I feel that deciding not to have children was likely single-handedly the greatest, wisest, and most astute decision that I've made in this lifetime! I have not missed them for a nanosecond, and I never will. It's a personal choice, we all have to make these kind of decisions. 98% choose to go the conventional route and have children. For me children were never an option. And I'm infinitely thankful for that. 

I would have gone the traditional route and married and had kids, but fortunately the military saved me from what would have been the biggest mistake of my life. Never had the time or inclination to have a relationship after that, till I realised that kids were a giant NO NO for myself.

Never regretted it for more than a few seconds since.

Only one friend had kids that were not ratbags, and after they grew up they were worse. If I ever thought about it, I just remembered my sister's kids and the urge went away quickly. Little monsters.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There's a reason why there's so many Indian CEOs, perhaps they are genetically superior.

and yet...... have you not seen them on Pattaya Beach Rd trying to get a discount price for a group of them, or trying to barter a 10 baht fare on a baht bus down?

Genetically superior, 5555555555555.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I would have gone the traditional route and married and had kids, but fortunately the military saved me from what would have been the biggest mistake of my life. Never had the time or inclination to have a relationship after that, till I realised that kids were a giant NO NO for myself.

Never regretted it for more than a few seconds since.

Only one friend had kids that were not ratbags, and after they grew up they were worse. If I ever thought about it, I just remembered my sister's kids and the urge went away quickly. Little monsters.

Well in my opinion I think kids are very overrated, some are great sure, and certainly the art of parenting goes a long way towards helping a child to develop into a well-formed adult. But I would have to say that the vast majority of children are nothing special on any level, and I double down on the fact that choosing to not have kids was the single greatest decision of this lifetime. So I'm in total agreement with you on this one.