Bankbook for extension of stay

I am on non-o retirement and my annual extension is due now.

I do come with a new passport though old and new are both valid for the time being.

I fulfill all conditions required (Koh Samui).

My bank informed me (Bangkok Bank) that with the new passport my data for their system has to be changed and they suggested to issue the new bank book when I get the statement and the transaction record, thus immediately invalidating the old bank book .

Does that make sense or would immigration be confused?

for any advice 

12 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You can't have 2 valid passports. You will need to transfer the stamps to the new passport.

Use old and new bank books.

I do not know poster passport country but for USA you can, and I have had, two valid passports - people who travel often may have same type as one may be tied up getting visas when travel has to take place.  Others will have Official or Diplomatic and tourist passports  You do need a valid reason for having extra passport however.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I do not know poster passport country but for USA you can, and I have had, two valid passports - people who travel often may have same type as one may be tied up getting visas when travel has to take place.  Others will have Official or Diplomatic and tourist passports  You do need a valid reason for having extra passport however.

Not true.  Holes are punched in the old USA passport (thereby invalidating it) and returned to you along with the new passport.  The holes indicate that you have been issued a new passport. 

• Confused 1

Just now, MeePeeMai said:

Not true.  Holes are punched in the old USA passport (thereby invalidating it) and returned to you along with the new passport.  The holes indicate that you have been issued a new passport. 

2 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

That is for a replacement passport - you can, and I have, had more than one valid US passport.  In the case of poster he is not talking about USA passport in any case.

• Like 1

I have never had to change a bank book with a new passport that is not correct.  I have changed passports at least 6 times in the last ten years at Bangkok bank and others still have the old bank books. Unless your bankbook full.

Edited by arick

32 minutes ago, arick said:

I have never had to change a bank book with a new passport that is not correct.  I have changed passports at least 6 times in the last ten years at Bangkok bank and others still have the old bank books. Unless your bankbook full.

It's not incorrect.

It wasn't for me anyway.

I guess it depends on your branch.

I got a new passport last year and took it into Bangkok Bank.

They issued me with a new bank book.

It still had the original dates from my old book.

I took both books to Immigration for my extension but they only wanted to see the new one.

With regard to applying for a 1 year extension just ask for a 1 year statement of your bank account. At CW in Bangkok they will only want to see a same day transaction in your most recent valid bank book. 

22 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You can't have 2 valid passports. You will need to transfer the stamps to the new passport.

Use old and new bank books.

You don't need to transfer stamps.

It is only a convenience for those that may have some time left on an extension.

8 minutes ago, MPoll said:

With regard to applying for a 1 year extension just ask for a 1 year statement of your bank account. At CW in Bangkok they will only want to see a same day transaction in your most recent valid bank book. 

Actually at CW they will also require a bank letter of account ownership/current balance issued the same day, copy of account book for the year including current day and if using income from country not providing Embassy confirmation letters a one year bank statement covering the previous 12 months of required deposits.  For Bangkok Bank customers one year statement can not be obtained from branch banks so normally takes few days to obtain.

Edited by lopburi3

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

It's not incorrect.

It wasn't for me anyway.

I guess it depends on your branch.

I got a new passport last year and took it into Bangkok Bank.

They issued me with a new bank book.

It still had the original dates from my old book.

I took both books to Immigration for my extension but they only wanted to see the new one.

Branches all make their own rules.  I have KTB and BKK and notified them both of my new passport.  They make the obligatory 800 photo copies and had me sign them all but neither issued new bank books.  When I moved from Phuket to Samui and tried to notify them at which time they said I needed to travel to Phuket and have them close my accounts and re open new ones in Samui which of course required multiple trips to Immigration.  KTB caved and opened a new account and told me to just let the old one die when I ripped into them.  BKK wouldn't budge.  Thai bank branches are like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get but it's guaranteed to have nuts.

• Like 1

As an aside, when you need a new ATM card expect delay and lots of form signing as the account is linked to your passport number. It took me an hour and 17 signatures to get a new card at the Bangkok Bank main branch. In my native UK, when the card is due to expire they simply post a new one, but Thailand is ..... different.

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As an aside, when you need a new ATM card expect delay and lots of form signing as the account is linked to your passport number. It took me an hour and 17 signatures to get a new card at the Bangkok Bank main branch. In my native UK, when the card is due to expire they simply post a new one, but Thailand is ..... different.

Just reminded me, I need to tell SCB about my new passport (Aug 2023), before I head in for my extension in February. However, I bought a new smartphone last year, and when I transferred the SCB banking app, I noticed it was linked to my Pink ID number, not my passport number, so not sure what SCB will tell me when I go in.

On 1/11/2024 at 4:29 AM, MeePeeMai said:

Only if the old passport has expired and being replaced. As previously stated by lopburi3 you can have 2 or more active passports issued by your home country for the very purpose of getting visas, travelling to conflicting countries of interest i.e. Israel/Saudi . I actually had 3 at one stage all legal and in my name. Only one was used for my Thai Retirement stamps and I only ever had to transfer the stamps when my passport became full and I needed an empty one. Same passport used for my bank books. 

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually at CW they will also require a bank letter of account ownership/current balance issued the same day, copy of account book for the year including current day and if using income from country not providing Embassy confirmation letters a one year bank statement covering the previous 12 months of required deposits.  For Bangkok Bank customers one year statement can not be obtained from branch banks so normally takes few days to obtain.

At CW the bank letter is good for 7 days. They want a same day transaction and your updated bankbook. This is easily done at the bank branches downstairs even before the banks open in the morning. I am able to get a 1 year bank statement from Kasikorn same day but it is also good for several days, probably 7. I would get it at my local branch a few days before I went to CW. If Bangkok bank is one of those banks the make you wait a week to get a 1 year bank statement then just plan accordingly. You can apply for a 1 year extension at CW 45 days before your current extension expires. Go as early as you can. Don't wait until the last minute.

Edited by MPoll

7 minutes ago, MPoll said:

At CW the bank letter is good for 7 days.

Are you sure about that?  It has often been reported CW requires same day letter of account balance/ownership and people with accounts at banks that are no longer located at that location have had real issues getting.   But perhaps they have been talking the passbook update process rather than the letter itself?

Edited by lopburi3

53 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you sure about that?  It has often been reported CW requires same day letter of account balance/ownership and people with accounts at banks that are no longer located at that location have had real issues getting.   But perhaps they have been talking the passbook update process rather than the letter itself?

The first time I had to present an insurance certificate to extend my OA visa there was some confusion and I had to leave and return a couple of days later after I sorted out the insurance certificate issue. The senior Immigration officer told me that they would keep my document package and that I should return within 7 days. Other than that experience I always obtained my bank letter and year bank statement at my local Kasikorn branch in Phra Khanong and went to CW 2 or 3 days later. When I arrived at CW I would withdraw 1000 baht at the Kasikorn ATM and then update my bank book at the update machine. This was the only time all year that I would update my bank book. I assumed that the same day bank book update was covering any transactions between the date of the bank letter and year statement and when I arrived at CW to apply for the extension. I did this process 5 years in a row.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, MPoll said:

I assumed that the same day bank book update was covering any transactions between the date of the bank letter and year statement and when I arrived at CW to apply for the extension. I did this process 5 years in a row.

Sounds like a logical assumption and seems your experience has been fairly recent (insurance was not an issue in the old days).  Did you present your bank with an example of letter needed - those located at CW seem to know but expect local banks would not.  Thanks for detailed and fast reply.  Am sure it will help others.