Famous Iranian Boxer Fariyar Aminipour Dies After Big Bike Accident in Phuket Underpass

snoop1130

S__72916995-632x420.jpg

A famous young Iranian boxer has been pronounced dead after a big bike accident inside the Chalong Underpass.

The Chalong Police were notified of the accident at 8:08 A.M. on Thursday (January 11th) inside the Chalong Underpass on the Chao Fa West Road.

Police and emergency responders arrived at the scene to find the foreign male rider lying on the ground. He had sustained severe head injuries and was bleeding heavily. Nearby, rescue workers found the damaged big bike. Witnesses told Chalong police that the victim lost control of his big bike at a curve inside of the Chalong Underpass. He was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was tragically pronounced dead upon arrival. The Phuket Express notes that motorbikes are legally banned inside all underpasses in Phuket with warning signs posted before the entrances. It was not immediately reported by rescue workers if the victim had been wearing a helmet.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: The Pattaya News 2024-01-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, reefsurfah said:

Who?  No major curves at chalong underpass, likely another idiot speeding.  

There is quite a steep curve in the underpass. Caused other folks to crash over the years. 

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikebike said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would you argue on the balance of probability that my bias is incorrect ?

Yes. 

Fair enough - in this case my bias did cloud my judgement as its now apparent to me that the deceased lived in Thailand and was not a tourist. 

Yet...  my bias exists for a reason... when I read of a Middle Easterner who has died on a motorcycle in Pattaya my thoughts are influenced by the many reports that have gone before of unlicensed Middle Eastern guys, racing / ragging rented bikes through the streets of Pattaya and Patong....  Surely the frequency of such news is not something you've missed before ??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've always been curious... why bikes are not allowed on so many, tunnels, underpasses, bridges, over passes etc ?

Is there some exaggerated risk presented to riders ????

Not exaggerated as with this incident.  The speed of motorcycles going through a curve is more difficult to handle especially if you have cars going both ways and it’s darker with less visibility.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

There is quite a steep curve in the underpass. Caused other folks to crash over the years. 

Yes, stupid curve there plus it's quite narrow as well. Imo a dangerous design.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough - in this case my bias did cloud my judgement as its now apparent to me that the deceased lived in Thailand and was not a tourist. 

Yet...  my bias exists for a reason... when I read of a Middle Easterner who has died on a motorcycle in Pattaya my thoughts are influenced by the many reports that have gone before of unlicensed Middle Eastern guys, racing / ragging rented bikes through the streets of Pattaya and Patong....  Surely the frequency of such news is not something you've missed before ??

Kinda depends on what your daily input of info is. When I read the story I had no such bias. I live in a fishing/tourist town in the South. Your bias would never have occurred to me. The "frequency of such news" Is virtually nonexistent. 

Edited by mikebike
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've always been curious... why bikes are not allowed on so many, tunnels, underpasses, bridges, over passes etc ?

Possibly to prevent people from riding with a shaded face shield, as the eye adjustment to the different lighting, when enter/exiting tunnels.   Why many suggest remove sunglasses.

Just think if people obeyed the traffic laws.   Just a guess, but doubt if he was doing the speed limit, as all of 50 kph.   At that speed, unless an unlucky, bad bounce (maybe no helmet) it really is hard to kill yourself, going that slow.

I thought that tunnel was one of the safest places to drive on Phuket.

Way too young  ... R I P

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

Kinda depends on what your daily input of info is. When I read the story I had no such bias. I live in a fishing/tourist town in the South. Your bias would never have occurred to me. The "frequency of such news" Is virtually nonexistent. 

You don't read this forum as much as I then - the 'frequency of such news' comment is based on the amount of news on this forum of Middle Easterners who end injured or dead on motorcycles in areas such as Pattaya and Patong.

... My bias has been created by reading this forum and then confirmed when I read further news of such incidents.  Give it a few weeks and we'll read of some Middle Eastern guys racing their rented bikes, they'll most likely be from Kuwait...  Yes, thats my bias, but that bias has not been formed out of thin air... I could be wrong of course, it could be three weeks !... 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

No warning signs in front of the underpass that bikes are not allowed. These electronic signs have not been working for at least one year now.

There are, at least in the direct from wichit to rawai.

37 minutes ago, Baz Erckens said:

There are, at least in the direct from wichit to rawai.

As of a couple of weeks ago you are correct it was on, we were driving in that direction and also having a conversation about that and we were following a bike that decided to go down the tunnel, and at the same time a farang came the opposite way and this was around 1 pm, Sunday morning we will be going from Rawai to central I'll check to see if it's on, 

A lot do go down the tunnel near the exit towards Rawai there is a Thai noodle shop my wife sometimes like to buy and we was parked opposite the exit but well off the road and I waited bye the car so in that 10 or 15 minutes I noticed 3 bikes come through the tunnel at that time it was dark, they have a police box there near to the 7/11 I've not seen any sitting there for ages, 

I just realise it was yesterday, a whole bunch of them guys from that Tiger camp were down and training on Nai Harn beach I was there about 7-30 am, made me think if he was with that group, 

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Phuket Express notes that motorbikes are legally banned inside all underpasses in Phuket with warning signs posted before the entrances.

So if you're a foreigner, don't know the area or roads, what do you do if you come up to an under-pass.. turnaround?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said: