Famous Iranian Boxer Fariyar Aminipour Dies After Big Bike Accident in Phuket Underpass

snoop1130

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So if you're a foreigner, don't know the area or roads, what do you do if you come up to an under-pass.. turnaround?

Pay attention to the signage ... wear a helmet, do the speed limit.

The uncommon common sense things, you'd do in your home country.

Just a thought ...

image.png.13df5607f9257a67529204a0f686e48d.png

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The uncommon common sense things, you'd do in you home country.

Just a thought ...

Common sense gets left on the tarmac when they land here, 

26 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

In fairness to drivers unfamiliar with the area, that sign is placed only in one place on either side - the final pilon before you enter the tunnel.  It's also far too small and hard to read.  Once it becomes visible to drivers there's no way to turn back (source):

image.thumb.png.57a71c49843b84a72b3dd5512cb5189d.png

Then simply drive the speed limit & wear a helmet.   As I stated early, been in that underpass, and consider it the 'safest' stretch of road on Phuket, if not all TH.   Since most people are driving slow & pay attention when in the tunnel.

50 kph is pretty darn slow ... try it next time out.  Single vehicle accidents are usually the fault of 1 person.  Which sadly comes down to not using common sense, usually.

R I P

Edited by KhunLA

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:

A badly lit tunnel, narrow lane and a curve inside that tunnel make it unsafe.

Just a guess, but that stretch of tunnel, probably has less accidents than the same stretch above ground.   I don't think a scooter need that much room.   More than enough lighting own there, and his headlight was probably on, and it's not exactly a hairpin curve, and at 50 kph ... :cheesy:image.png.e9becce1e4a4cad43f7eb65da2e596da.png

you guys are killing me.  The tunnel, the signage ... wasn't the cause of his death.

I guess if he was Thai, it would have been his fault, because they all drive recklessly, like idiots, and never wear a helmet.

But it's a foreigner, so it's got to be TH's fault.   Mind boggling.

Mirror mirror on the wall ..

... Y'all have a nice day

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Just a guess, but that stretch of tunnel, probably has less accidents than the same stretch above ground.   I don't think a scooter need that much room.   More than enough lighting own there, and his headlight was probably on, and it's not exactly a hairpin curve, and at 50 kph ... :cheesy:image.png.e9becce1e4a4cad43f7eb65da2e596da.png

you guys are killing me.  The tunnel, the signage ... wasn't the cause of his death.

I guess if he was Thai, it would have been his fault, because they all drive recklessly, like idiots, and never wear a helmet.

But it's a foreigner, so it's got to be TH's fault.   Mind boggling.

Mirror mirror on the wall ..

... Y'all have a nice day

"you guys are killing me.  The tunnel, the signage ... wasn't the cause of his death.

I guess if he was Thai, it would have been his fault, because they all drive recklessly, like idiots, and never wear a helmet."

Nonsense, it was his fault.
But the tunnel is not well lit, the curve is dangerous also due to the maintenance strip there and the tunnel is narrow,

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"you guys are killing me.  The tunnel, the signage ... wasn't the cause of his death.

I guess if he was Thai, it would have been his fault, because they all drive recklessly, like idiots, and never wear a helmet."

But the tunnel is not well lit, the curve is dangerous also due to the maintenance strip there and the tunnel is narrow,

That's one opinion ... but I found it well marked, well lit, calling it a curve is a stretch, more than wide enough for our SUV (bit wider than scooter).  

His fault, we agree on.   Contributing factors, we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I agree with you, it could do with better lighting, that bend is a bit strange people do need to slow down, 

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's one opinion ... but I found it well marked, well lit, calling it a curve is a stretch, more than wide enough for our SUV (bit wider than scooter).  

His fault, we agree on.   Contributing factors, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Seems the people that drive there regularly disagree with the guy that was there once.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Seems the people that drive there regularly disagree with the guy that was there once.

Probably more than 10 times, but hey, what do I know. 

He's probably driven more times than myself, since been here since at least April 2023:image.png.6cbf527a086c4e5afd820468a4ded22a.png

Opened end of May 2019, so yea, I've driven through it more than a few times, since southern part of the island is a favorite area:

image.png.c6c6e7b3b2f0b4291513c31996870272.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough - in this case my bias did cloud my judgement as its now apparent to me that the deceased lived in Thailand and was not a tourist. 

Yet...  my bias exists for a reason... when I read of a Middle Easterner who has died on a motorcycle in Pattaya my thoughts are influenced by the many reports that have gone before of unlicensed Middle Eastern guys, racing / ragging rented bikes through the streets of Pattaya and Patong....  Surely the frequency of such news is not something you've missed before ??

So you tar all middle eastern gentlemen with the same brush?

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So if you're a foreigner, don't know the area or roads, what do you do if you come up to an under-pass.. turnaround?

I think most of the 'under-pass' or 'over-pass' options where motorcycles are banned are to go under or over other roads and cut out an intersection - vehicles such as motorcycles which are not permitted on the 'pass' are supposed to use the traffic lights.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The uncommon common sense things, you'd do in your home country.

Just a thought ...

In Bangkok, I always ignore the 'no motorcycles' (in the over pass or under pass) signs....  (as do most other riders) - the alternative is *completely unnecessary hot and relatively lengthy wait at traffic lights. 

*unnecessary as I do not see any safety risk or logical reason to disallowing motorcycles in these passes (yes, I know its the law, but I'd quote Dickens' Mr Bumble in this case - "the law is an ass.... ")... 

As you mentioned Khun LA - its quite likely the rider himself is solely to blame, however, there could also be other factors involved - such as something slippery (oil etc) on the road etc...  poor lighting has been mentioned, but thats hardly a factor as anyone driving riding should adjust accordingly, it appears the bend is not sharp...    

... Any idea if he was wearing a helmet ???...   It could be argued that no-helmets are the single greatest factor in the high road fatality stats in Thailand and perhaps one of the easiest to control, IF the police force were not so apathetic... How can a country get everyone to wear a face mask yet fail to get motorcyclists to wear helmets - Thailand can be an utter enigma at times. 

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In Bangkok, I always ignore the 'no motorcycles' (in the over pass or under pass) signs....  (as do most other riders) - the alternative is *completely unnecessary hot and relatively lengthy wait at traffic lights. 

*unnecessary as I do not see any safety risk or logical reason to disallowing motorcycles in these passes (yes, I know its the law, but I'd quote Dickens' Mr Bumble in this case - "the law is an ass.... ")... 

As you mentioned Khun LA - its quite likely the rider himself is solely to blame, however, there could also be other factors involved - such as something slippery (oil etc) on the road etc...  poor lighting has been mentioned, but thats hardly a factor as anyone driving riding should adjust accordingly, it appears the bend is not sharp...    

... Any idea if he was wearing a helmet ???...   It could be argued that no-helmets are the single greatest factor in the high road fatality stats in Thailand and perhaps one of the easiest to control, IF the police force were not so apathetic... How can a country get everyone to wear a face mask yet fail to get motorcyclists to wear helmets - Thailand can be an utter enigma at times. 

Agree, and I've ignored or violated a few traffic laws myself. simply for convenience, but with extreme caution.   While endorsing people should follow the law, at least the 2 main ones I follow; speed limit & helmet :cheesy:

Probably the cause of most accidents & deaths.

Was he wearing a helmet, don't know, as no mentioned, but there really is no excuse not to wear a helmet.    Stupidity to the max, and way beyond common sense.

One thing not mention, 'on the police enforcement' issue, those not familiar with the Chalong circle.   It is a notorious spot to cite foreigner, for what ever.   Last time there, approaching circle in our car, 2 officers (unofficial stop) and they pulled over the first farangs on a scooter to come by, while we were waiting to proceed into the circle.

Way too obvious, they were profiled, as more than a few locals were driving by  without helmets.   The farang couple had helmets, and I didn't notice any probable cause to wave the over except to get a bit of tea money.   Embarrassing actually.  Wife even took notice of it.

With that thought, did the Iranian take the underpass to avoid just that scenario ?

Edited by KhunLA

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You don't read this forum as much as I then - the 'frequency of such news' comment is based on the amount of news on this forum of Middle Easterners who end injured or dead on motorcycles in areas such as Pattaya and Patong.

... My bias has been created by reading this forum and then confirmed when I read further news of such incidents.  Give it a few weeks and we'll read of some Middle Eastern guys racing their rented bikes, they'll most likely be from Kuwait...  Yes, thats my bias, but that bias has not been formed out of thin air... I could be wrong of course, it could be three weeks !... 

So your daily input of info is your subjective analysis of subjective information. OK. 

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Possibly to prevent people from riding with a shaded face shield, as the eye adjustment to the different lighting, when enter/exiting tunnels.   Why many suggest remove sunglasses.

No problem for heavily tinted windscreens then.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:32 AM, Baz Erckens said:

There are, at least in the direct from wichit to rawai.

Just checked, from either direction the electronic signs are not working. Couldn't see the 'no motorbike ' signs as I was on a bike and didn't want to enter the underpass, as would be required to spot them.

Today we drove through the tunnel in both directions once you see the no bikes sign you have no choice but to go through, that sign to me should be at eye level and was a old looking sign not very visible, and we was looking for it, both the wife and I, as a first time tourist you would have to be forgiven for going through and not seeing that sign, 

On the way back we slowed right down and my wife was driving so I was able to look many lights are out, are they not working or switched off.........? After driving out of the direct sunlight as you go down it was dark, I asked my wife what she thought, she said it was dark.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:12 AM, stevenl said:

Just checked, from either direction the electronic signs are not working. Couldn't see the 'no motorbike ' signs as I was on a bike and didn't want to enter the underpass, as would be required to spot them.

Not talking about the electronic ones, but the old metal signs.

image.png.8ab60c4aebe2535e44d6c6f5916c446d.png

But as @ChipButty pointed out, they are so miniture and barely noticable that it is already too late once u saw them and u are on the tunnel lane.

The signs at the "new" tunnel in Pattaya are 5 times the size.

Mandate and enforce full license bike riders only - To do this properly ofcourse one would have to take their license to a designated office which can translate and authorise bike renters to provide bikes. But to do this one would need to have bike renting licenses. but to do this they would need rules / regulations.... You would literally spend years untangling the mess thailand is - and thats why most people go there.

• 1 month later...

Well, I drive on these roads, Chao Fa West, East, and the road coming from Rawai.

So there is no need for any bias here to suggest what happened.

Just about all these younger guys, (girls do the same as I can see), training in Muay Thai or boxing gyms, they want to show their strength by renting big motorbikes, as loud as they can get them, and drive as if their abilities shield them from possible accidents.

Speed, they just need that for their show of strength. From what I can see... Including quite a few accidents involving big motorbikes on these streets. Way too many compared to the ratio of smaller bikes, driving a tad bit too fast as well, but who make it to their destination...

Sometimes I catch myself hoping that they just end up crashing somewhere, not involving other drivers. And now I catch myself hoping that my hope was not involved in this guy's demise....

But the culture here has more power than any of my hopes...

So Kap dee dee as they say here....

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, I drive on these roads, Chao Fa West, East, and the road coming from Rawai.

So there is no need for any bias here to suggest what happened.

Just about all these younger guys, (girls do the same as I can see), training in Muay Thai or boxing gyms, they want to show their strength by renting big motorbikes, as loud as they can get them, and drive as if their abilities shield them from possible accidents.

Speed, they just need that for their show of strength. From what I can see... Including quite a few accidents involving big motorbikes on these streets. Way too many compared to the ratio of smaller bikes, driving a tad bit too fast as well, but who make it to their destination...

Sometimes I catch myself hoping that they just end up crashing somewhere, not involving other drivers. And now I catch myself hoping that my hope was not involved in this guy's demise....

But the culture here has more power than any of my hopes...

So Kap dee dee as they say here....

I think I saw that guy in the morning we had stopped at the lights with Sai Yuan road, and he was infront of us in the outside lane when the lights changed he let rip, this was all about the same time, that morning we didnt go down the tunnel I did a U turn back to the post office, prior to that I had been on Nai Harn beach and saw all them Muay Thai guys from the same gym where he would have been going back to, 

5 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:
On 1/11/2024 at 8:50 PM, reefsurfah said:

No major curves at chalong underpass, likely another idiot speeding.

Yes, probably speeding, but there is a big curve in the underpass.  Not dangerous is not speeding

typo, what I meant was , yes there is a curve in the underpass.  If you are going the speed limit it is not dangerous.   If you are speeding and out of control, yes dangerous.  There are orange traffic cone-like things embedded into the divider through the tunnel.  At the curve, most of them have been taken out by drivers..... speeding.