Around the world cruises

3 per cabin.  Hope you are all good friends.  if you have no experience of long sea journeys, think carefully.  What do you do for  long days at sea?   Eat, sleep, drink.... Always with the same group.  No chance to get away or see anything new, except Computer screens.

Remember the old song?  "What did we see?  We saw the see!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Robin said:

3 per cabin.  Hope you are all good friends.  if you have no experience of long sea journeys, think carefully.  What do you do for  long days at sea?   Eat, sleep, drink.... Always with the same group.  No chance to get away or see anything new, except Computer screens.

Remember the old song?  "What did we see?  We saw the see!

The most/least interesting time I have spent at sea was in an old diesel submarine I was serving on in the early 70,s. 28 days submerged. Modern nukes routinely do 90 days. No distractions.

• Like 1

I worked a while as a sound technician for Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Cruise Lines. On the first day of each new cruise we were to greet the guests (GAWD forbid if we ever referred to them as "customers!") with a hearty, "Welcome aboard." We morphed it to "Welcome, I'm bored." I've since gone back for 6 or 7 day cruises, any more than that and you go stir crazy.

Also keep in mind - space is at a premium. Three to a room? Most likely only one at a time can stand up to change clothes. Before committing to such a contract you might want to try a one-week cruise to get a feel for it.

• Haha 2

I have spent 20+years living and working onboard Marine survey ships. 4-8 wek4 to 8 weeks trips at sea can be like know what long trips at sea are like.  Even with a job to do, it is difficult life.  I would never think of going on a cruise unless I had my own cabin.  You will need your own space.  Sharing with strangers, or even friends is hard..  Only use for a cruise ship I can see, is as a floating hotel with a port call and shore trips every day and ravel at night

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Robin said:

I have spent 20+years living and working onboard Marine survey ships. 4-8 wek4 to 8 weeks trips at sea can be like know what long trips at sea are like.  Even with a job to do, it is difficult life.  I would never think of going on a cruise unless I had my own cabin.  You will need your own space.  Sharing with strangers, or even friends is hard..  Only use for a cruise ship I can see, is as a floating hotel with a port call and shore trips every day and ravel at night

Yes well very good advice from someone who ought to know.

Thank you

My mother, partially disabled and in wheel-chair most of the time, really enjoyed her Adriatic cruise with  my father.  No mobility problems and attentive crew, she could stay onboard at port calls while dad went ashore.  Travelling without having to change hotel every day..

I would say you have to be a sociable person to enjoy a cruise.