Tragic accident post-Children’s Day event claims life of one sister, leaves two unconscious

image.jpeg

On a sorrowful Children’s Day, three young sisters were involved in a fatal accident after returning from a late-night event where they had been hoping to win prizes. The incident occurred around 12.30am today when the motorcycle they were riding collided with an electricity pole in Prachin Buri province.

The 12 year old older sister, who was driving the motorcycle, succumbed to her injuries, while her two younger siblings were still unconscious. The tragic accident happened after they had attended a National Children’s Day event organised by the Prachin Buri provincial administration.

The event, held until late at night at the King Rama V Monument and the provincial administration’s convention hall, featured performances by children and teenagers from various schools under the provincial administration’s jurisdiction. The main attraction, however, was a lottery-like number drawing for various prizes, including 50 bicycles, five OPPO mobile phones, two televisions, 20 fans, and dolls worth 50,000 baht (US$1,432).

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The 12 year old older sister, who was driving the motorcycle, succumbed to her injuries, while her two younger siblings were still unconscious.

It's all been said above, and apart from that these events normally have cops hanging around.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

At 12:30 am ??????

Are you questioning that the parents should be held responsible?

The mother was present and presumably authorised the journey:

"The three sisters had attended the event with their mother but during the wait for the prize draw, the 6 year old middle and 2 year old youngest siblings began to quarrel. Consequently, the eldest sister volunteered to take them home, riding from the event late at night with both sisters on the pillion, reported KhaoSod."

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

3 kids, age 12 and under, after midnight riding a motorcycle ! What could possibly go wrong.

The irresponsible actions of some parents just astound me.

Childrens party... that continued into the wee hours... go Thailand.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2024 at 3:18 PM, RobU said:

RIP kids, may the parents rot in hell for allowing a 12 year old to control a motorbike 

Big problem is that parents no longer see danger in letting their little darlings have a m/c.

• Agree 1

On 1/14/2024 at 11:18 PM, Gottfrid said:

And here we have the reason. Time to hold the parents responsible

I my country the parents would face legal action for child neglect / endangerment. 

What parent would allow a 12 year old to ride a motor bike...add the extra younger children on the back...  and out at midnight!? 

I bet they were not even told to wear helmets either. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I my country the parents would face legal action for child neglect / endangerment. 

What parent would allow a 12 year old to ride a motor bike...add the extra younger children on the back...  and out at midnight!? 

I bet they were not even told to wear helmets either. 

100% :heart_001: