Concerns after two foreign women sunbathe in Chiang Mai temple

webfact

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Next time I will send my replies to you so you can Edit them to your liking OK? 

If you don't like what I am posting Don't read them and be Quiet

I'll laugh at your posts all I wish, thank you. Looking forward to the next.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Puritanism was an historical phenomenon.

There are plenty of people in the world at large, far beyond the shores of "Blighty" and the influence its culture, who happily evince a puritanical outlook.........even though they know nothing of Christian sectarian dissent/dispute in Britain during the 16th and 17th centuries.

Certain Islamic countries are especially enthusiastic.

They have their equivalents in Buddhist countries:

adjective
adjective: puritanical
  1. practicing or affecting strict religious or moral behavior.
    "his puritanical parents saw any kind of pleasure as the road to damnation"

Tedious pseudo-educated failure to foist puritanism onto Thais. It's convenient to pretend it's the same culture and think our cultural standards apply, then use them as an excuse to bash Thais for not following them. What Buddhist text refers to puritanism? Is there "a road to damnation" or is that idea in fact merely derived from the Judeo-Christian tradition.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The monk agreed ???... You know that how ?... nothing indicates the monk agreed with the Thai tourist at all.

The Thai tourist told to Channel 3 that the monk mentioned he'd 'relay the message to the tour guide'...  thats it.

Translation: 'this person [Thai Tourist] is bat$#it crazy... just agree and he/she'll go away'....  

Mistranslation. If the monk didn't agree, then he wouldn't agree to relay the message. Evidently he lacked the courage to do that. Meanwhile, Thai social media users thought the temple authorities, whoever they are, should have done more, that is, tell the girls to stop. And others suggested putting signs up. The expected, normal mental reaction of that monk or any is given in an interview with an abbot:

Phra Phayom also gave his insight that Thai people should not be angry or insulted but gradually inform them with logic.

“Temple officials may explain to them that Thai culture does not widely accept such behaviors. There would be no second time after being warned and given an explanation regarding appropriateness,” concluded Phra Phayom.

Now that was optimistic. If necessary, though, the police can be called, as they were in the earlier incident, to enforce compliance.

The incidents caused widespread anger and calls for the tourists to be held accountable on Thai social media although as stated temple and government officials have taken a softer tone, saying the tourists didn’t purposely mean to cause offense and it was better to educate tourists on why such an act could offend people versus push for legal action or deportation which could harm tourism.

--https://thepattayanews.com/2024/01/16/controversial-bikini-sunbathing-by-foreign-tourists-sparks-cultural-debate-in-bangkok-and-chiang-mai-authorities-respond/

Not seeing any support here among Thais for your supposed victims. Their country, their culture, their religion, their Wats, their rules. Just gon' have to suck it up, after all the blathering.

14 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

I am not the one criticizing people for something like sitting on grass.

But they weren't just sitting on the grass, but sunbathing. Try to understand the issue. What you're doing is criticizing the Thais for their view that the sunbathing was inappropriate and shouldn't happen at the Wat. Their country, their culture, their religion, their Wat, their rules. They don't regard the sunbathing on the grounds as innocuous behavior. They have a perfect right to hold that view, it's widely held (social media), and it's perfectly reasonable within Thai culture. The cultural standards derived from a council estate in Blighty are, as usual, completely inapplicable and irrelevant, more about yourself than about the Thais here. 

So, as noted, you can set an example yourself by refraining from doing that yourself.

15 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Nor am I coming from some moral, cultural, or religious highground.

Agreed, coming from the usual low bigotry we continually see on the forum. 

• Confused 2

35 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Tedious pseudo-educated failure to foist puritanism onto Thais. It's convenient to pretend it's the same culture and think our cultural standards apply, then use them as an excuse to bash Thais for not following them. What Buddhist text refers to puritanism? Is there "a road to damnation" or is that idea in fact merely derived from the Judeo-Christian tradition.

Usually @GammaGlobulin writes tedious non-sensical posts (although he's getting better these days), but today you've taken away his mantle with your tedious post. Well done.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Usually @GammaGlobulin writes tedious non-sensical posts (although he's getting better these days), but today you've taken away his mantle with your tedious post. Well done.

Well, you just don't have any arguments to make, do you, petal? Let me know if you find any nonsense. Otherwise, we can assume you've seen the light of reason. 

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

But they weren't just sitting on the grass, but sunbathing. Try to understand the issue. What you're doing is criticizing the Thais for their view that the sunbathing was inappropriate and shouldn't happen at the Wat. Their country, their culture, their religion, their Wat, their rules. They don't regard the sunbathing on the grounds as innocuous behavior. They have a perfect right to hold that view, it's widely held (social media), and it's perfectly reasonable within Thai culture.

Please...... I was just almost run over at a pedestrian crossing today by about 6 cars while trying to cross (with my kid, no less), which happens daily, by the way.

They couldn't care less about law, order, and decency -- but hold their culture up higher, lol.

I reckon this whole sunbathing scandal was just an opportunity to take a jab at foreigners, and bolster Thai image.

Don't bother to talking to me about Thai culture.  Their priorities are aligned their way, and mine are aligned my way.

I really don't care much for their culture - it's theirs, not mine - and I think tourists should be treated with humble respect as guests in the country, unless they are being disorderly.

At this point, I don't think Thailand deserves much tourism considering the way tourists are ripped off from the moment they walk out of the airport.

The cultural standards derived from a council estate in Blighty are, as usual, completely inapplicable and irrelevant, more about yourself than about the Thais here. 

I didn't grow up in a council estate, mate. Lol.

And I don't think the Western people or the Western media would create such a big stink over a slight faux pas such as this.

They need to grow up.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The incidents caused widespread anger and calls for the tourists to be held accountable on Thai social media

Children.

Although this is probably unfair as most children are likely more sensible than this. 

although as stated temple and government officials have taken a softer tone, saying the tourists didn’t purposely mean to cause offense and it was better to educate tourists on why such an act could offend people versus push for legal action or deportation which could harm tourism.

At least there are some sensible adults in charge.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, BigStar said:

Looks like bikinis, even a thong in the latest pic.

"Anything" and "beserk" are attempts to trivialize by exaggeration. Something, yes. Nor are the locals stupid. Such condemnations invoke the ANF Poster Boomerang Principle, merely applying to the poster himself.

This wasn't the street or anywhere but somewhere in particular. Next.

Ah, defending the undefensible! The reaction of some Thai and supposedly farangs when so much in Thailand is far worse. The supposed non existing prostitutes both male and female accosting people as they walk on the streets, half naked girls sitting outside bars beckoning you inside but this is the charm of Thailand.  So all who those who look for the hate just come out and be honest: Use just hate all foreigners and don't want them in Thailand, so just come out and say it!!! Oh wait you need their foreign currencies...

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I reckon this whole sunbathing scandal was just an opportunity to take a jab at foreigners, and bolster Thai image.

You would, of course, but be wrong as usual.

Don't bother to talking to me about Thai culture.  Their priorities are aligned their way, and mine are aligned my way.

Which doesn't matter, except to help make you feel superior. In the end, since you're in their country, you'll need to follow their priorities or, in the ultimate case, be deported. Your "priorities" may coincide with theirs. You like to drink Chang, they like to sell it to you. 

I think tourists should be treated with humble respect as guests in the country, unless they are being disorderly.

And so they do, unless the guests don't treat their hosts with humble respect.

At this point, I don't think Thailand deserves much tourism considering the way tourists are ripped off from the moment they walk out of the airport.

A common sentiment expressed by the disgruntled over the decades, in the Pattaya Mailbag long before there was Thaivisa.com. So the countless doom predictions over the years, all the tourist were going to Cambodia, farang were all heading for the exits, blah blah.

Meanwhile, it's just another great day in Pattaya. :)

And I don't think the Western people or the Western media would create such a big stink over a slight faux pas such as this.

Not at all, but the stink here is only in the minds of ANF Posters & friends. The Thais aren't really upset, just think tourists shouldn't be doing that; and some have suggested signage, as have some here.

And so? Meanwhile, tourists will need to learn not to sunbathe on the grounds of Thai Wats. Plenty of other places to sunbathe. Saw lots of Russian hotties out on the beach just this afternoon.

They need to grow up.

Rather, some Western tourists need to grow up. Not only Thais may feel so, BTW. Amsterdam campaign to tell ‘nuisance’ British tourists to ‘stay away’ from capital  The nuisance British tourists themselves may be expected to disagree. So many things are predictable, aren't they.

Edited by BigStar

31 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

At least there are some sensible adults in charge.

Who also expect a cessation of behavior Thais find offensive at their Wats. If informed tourists still don't get the hint, the sensible adults will remove them from the Wat or more. Just gon' have to suck it up.

8 minutes ago, BritScot said:

The supposed non existing prostitutes both male and female accosting people as they walk on the streets, half naked girls sitting outside bars beckoning you inside but this is the charm of Thailand.

Typical whataboutism completely irrelevant to tourist behavior at Thai Wats. I sometimes wonder how our forum members even managed to book tickets online. Travel agents, I suppose. 

11 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Use just hate all foreigners and don't want them in Thailand, so just come out and say it!!!

There's no hate here whatsoever, unless on your part, while playing the victim. 

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

I'll laugh at your posts all I wish, thank you. Looking forward to the next.

You can Laugh all you want , I Know I don't talk Bull Sheet  like some people on this forum.

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

You can Laugh all you want , I Know I don't talk Bull Sheet  like some people on this forum.

Excellent. Going forward, let's make this a Bull Sheet-free forum.