Concerns after two foreign women sunbathe in Chiang Mai temple

webfact

42 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

and god forbid anybody takes a detailed look at what the gargoyles might be doing

gargoyle.jpg.ea4f0e400ec4f2c2b1699ee0748f7305.jpg

A grotesque, not a gargoyle. Gargoyles have waterspouts

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Empty head girls. Thats what you get if you spend your life on TikTok. Dont know anything about the real life. Keep it going girls. Very smart move. 

But one could sunbathe in a Christian church graveyard. Not a problem.🤔

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

A grotesque, not a gargoyle. Gargoyles have waterspouts

I'll take your word for it   but maybe the water was just turned off,  It does look like it was trying to "control its stream" directionally  though don't you think ? 

57 minutes ago, BigStar said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its hardly a grossly inappropriate offence to Thailand's cultural sensitivities

Nor did anyone say it is. Exaggerating to trivialize won't help. It was sufficiently offensive.

Valid point - although I'd argue 'offensive' is over egging it...   sufficiently culturally insensitive to trigger someones sensitivities is perhaps more apt....

57 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The girls were in shorts and a top... (tank top),

Looks like a thong in the latest pic.

Different females, different city...  The 'thong photo' you mention is taken at the massive field between Khao Sarn road and the Grand Palace... ppl play football there too...    It does beg the question though, is this attire appropriate in the city ?.... would it be appropriate in Hyde Park or Central Park ?

Certainly there is no issues with a Tank-Top and shorts in Hyde Park or Central Park, but a Thong ???

Thus...  it is the 'showing leg and shoulders' within temple grounds that has the Thai Karens getting somewhat upset - culturally insensitive yes....   But then we are in a country of far greater extremes than this - in a country with 'ping pong shows' there is a strong degree of irony at the puritanical response to showing a little shoulder and leg... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, loong said:

They were not half naked and they were not in the temple, they were lying in the grass outside. I have seen plenty of Thai women dressed similarly in temple grounds. They will put a wrap around if they enter the actual temple.

Fair enough.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

in a country with 'ping pong shows' there is a strong degree of irony at the puritanical response to showing a little shoulder and leg.

I don't know that Thais find it ironic, do you? That idea, as well as "puritanical," appears part of your own unrelenting attempt to foist your own inapplicable ethnocentric viewpoint onto Thais. Not that you're alone, of course, if there's comfort in numbers. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I'll take your word for it   but maybe the water was just turned off,  It does look like it was trying to "control its stream" directionally  though don't you think ? 

We may as well accept your expertise from personal experience. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

The reverse, then: the girls lacked common sense about what conduct might be culturally inappropriate. Not uncommon among tourists

The is BS. 

They were sitting on the grass and they weren't naked. They weren't drinking or smoking or anything.

What should they have considered before doing that?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Perhaps with Thailand's cannabis shops, ladyboys, goo bars, beer, all-night parties, endemic corruption and simple-minded populace, they didn't think they were doing much wrong by sunbathing on a patch of grass.

Exactly 💯 

And being ripped off by virtually every taxi and tuk tuk driver, not to mention being almost killed by any average citizen at almost every pedestrian crossing.

You'd maybe not care too much for locals' feelings after that anyway.

Offended by sitting on grass? lol. But it's okay to lie, cheat, steal, and cause manslaughter? Mai pen rai.

People ought to practice what the Buddha taught if they want to criticise others.

As I said, this was just a racial gripe about farang. Probably jealously.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, parallelman said:

image.png.e54011d3def77c9473fbbb3a999f7c2b.png

Wonder if they are the same women?

Australia - says it all really about the mentality of the natives. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

8 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

Much fuzz about nothing.

Im sure, if the thai person, instead of taking time to take photo, posting on facebook and getting annoyed, would instead informed the 2 ladies that sunbathing at temple was inpropriate, they would apologized and leave.

But then, of course, the thai didnt learn english at school, and would not have gained "own moment of "clicks":-)

From the article: “… Due to time constraints, the witness couldn’t personally caution the foreign women. After leaving the temple for personal affairs, the witness returned to check on the foreigners, only to find that they had already left. It remains uncertain whether someone informed them about their inappropriate behaviour or if they left of their own accord.“

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Definitely could if you continue posting... 13 posts and counting:violin: on one single article:coffee1:

My posts aren't on the article, but about the nonsense written by other posters. I'll continue as long as they're good for a laugh.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

The is BS. 

They were sitting on the grass and they weren't naked. They weren't drinking or smoking or anything.

No, exactly right. It's irrelevant whether YOU or the girls think they were behaving entirely appropriately. The Thais didn't. It's their country, their culture, their Wat, and they decide what's appropriate or not. They didn't see others, especially Thais, out sunbathing on the grounds and never have at any Wat. So they should have figured out it might be a good idea, just as you'd be cautious when accepting hospitality at a stranger's home. They were just thinking about themselves, not the Thais. Surprise!

Oh, lighting a joss stick, saying a little prayer, going over to the eating area, or leaving.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

in a country with 'ping pong shows' there is a strong degree of irony at the puritanical response to showing a little shoulder and leg.

I don't know that Thais find it ironic, do you? That idea, as well as "puritanical," appears part of your own unrelenting attempt to foist your own inapplicable ethnocentric viewpoint onto Thais. Not that you're alone, of course, if there's comfort in numbers. 

It seems that your point is because I'm not Thai I am 'foisting my view point onto Thai's'....  Which implies Thai's would not have the same opinion...  Do YOU know, they don't ??? all of them ?

... I know a very many Thai's and it may surprise you that on the vast majority of subjects the viewpoints of both educated Thai's and educated Westerners (foreigners) is incredibly similar. 

It may also surprise you that on forums such as Panthip similar subjects have come up before and just as this forum there is a wide ranging and varying degree of opinions on such subjects.

You have read Panthip and also integrated into society to understand the degree of similar in opinions between Thai's and Westerners haven't you ?????... have you ???

While I haven't asked my Thai friends about this thread, we've discussed enough similar subjects for me to guess that their reaction would be... 'Yes, mildly inappropriate, but big deal' (much as mine is) so yes, they'd find it as ironic as not being able to buy a beer from a 7-11 after midnight while the nation continues to drink drive. 

So.. are you 'foisting your viewpoint' on to Thai's that each and every one of them would find this issue culturally inappropriate and they'd fail to see the irony of some in society getting upset at such behavior in the shadows of hedonism ?

Exactly 💯 

And being ripped off by virtually every taxi and tuk tuk driver, not to mention being almost killed by any average citizen at almost every pedestrian crossing.

You'd maybe not care too much for locals' feelings after that anyway.

Offended by sitting on grass? lol. But it's okay to lie, cheat, steal, and cause manslaughter? Mai pen rai.

Irrelevant whataboutism for the enjoyment of bashing.

People ought to practice what the Buddha taught if they want to criticise others.

Then you could set the example by refraining from criticizing the Thais. Hypocritical, of course.

As I said, this was just a racial gripe about farang. Probably jealously.

It was nonsense then and still is. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No, exactly right. It's irrelevant whether YOU or the girls think they were behaving entirely appropriately. The Thais didn't.

All of them???  there you go 'foisting' your own opinion on to all Thai's !!!!!

It's their country, their culture, their Wat, and they decide what's appropriate or not.

It seems you are deciding what they decide is appropriate or not...     Have you asked a lot of Thai's about this ? - this article is about one person who took objection. 

I'm sure some Thai's would find this inappropriate, while others will find it no big deal at all... 

I'm sure most Thai's wouldn't give this a second thought... 

Its just clothed girls sitting on the grass after all...  

What is the issue you have with it ?... Are you outraged on behalf of any Thai's who may find this culturally insensitive ?

Are you looking to be outraged at the behavior of foreigners here because you live here and feel the need to prove how 'Thai you've become' ???

They didn't see others, especially Thais, out sunbathing on the grounds and never have at any Wat. So they should have figured out it might be a good idea, just as you'd be cautious when accepting hospitality at a stranger's home. They were just thinking about themselves, not the Thais. Surprise!

Out of touch with reality much ????

Have you ever seen Thai's sitting in the sun in a park or on a beach at 3pm ????....      Does that mean foreigners shouldn't ???

Oh, lighting a joss stick, saying a little prayer, going over to the eating area, or leaving.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The girls were in shorts and a top... (tank top), had kicked off their shoes and were relaxing on a grassed area outside of the Wat (temple) but within the grounds....   its hardly a grossly inappropriate offence to Thailand's cultural sensitivities - I wonder if the same complaint would be drawn if it were Thai's behaving the same way (not that we'd see Thai's sitting in the sun).

I also think this is blown way out of proportion.

I have often been with larger groups of Thais visiting famous temples, and quite often they had blankets in their pickup and we then sat there to eat something on similar temple grounds.

I am much more offended by tourists shouting in full disregard of their surroundings and shoving each other around nice photo spots than I would ever be of two tourists doing their own thing in comparable silence. Why should one not rest at a temple and soak in the peaceful feeling?

Quite a different thing if they were -- on the suggestion of a monk -- asked by a layperson in white if they please could move. This would have been the *only* proper Thai way of dealing with this situation, but the story gives no hint of such. So I would suggest, that the Thais themselves did not behave appropriately here.