Concerns after two foreign women sunbathe in Chiang Mai temple

webfact

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Nonsense just about when and how long one does it. After 3pm makes perfect sense

Thailand would hope we all became monks.

Read again. It was at 1.30pm.

3 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

Much fuzz about nothing.

Im sure, if the thai person, instead of taking time to take photo, posting on facebook and getting annoyed, would instead informed the 2 ladies that sunbathing at temple was inpropriate, they would apologized and leave.

But then, of course, the thai didnt learn english at school, and would not have gained "own moment of "clicks":-)

A bit dangerous, if the women were British he may have got a kick in the nuts for his trouble.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, riclag said:

In and around the temple visiting tourists should adhere to the rules, as mentioned previously!

You don't know what your jabbering on about.

Tell that to the millions of Thais and falangs who visit Temples year around. Screenshot_20240115_153414_Google.jpg.9dacee51e78afe99b709ebf56c4caab3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

They don’t hesitate to snitch on farangs, do they?

Brits don't hesitate to snitch in the UK if what little sense of propriety they have left is offended, such as by public sex. The article doesn't say if they were farangs. But if they were Thais, then they'd be reported as well. Nothing particularly Thai here, sorry.

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

How many temple regulars such as monks obey the guidelines of Buddha?

Pathetic. So we first got to verify that every monk obeys Buddha strictly before we ask any farang to stop offending Thai customs in public. And we got to first bring justice to the Red Bull heir, too?

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

wish they were equally concerned with things like obeying traffic laws and such....rather than feeling culturally offended by people sitting on grass at a temple. Lol

Whataboutism justifies all misconduct by farang. 

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

She is really just projecting her own racism to foreigners anyway with this little complaint. 

Oh, you're just expressing your own bigotry with this nonsensical excuse.

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

there is no accounting for cultural sensitivity and self awareness... but this is only news if they where asked to behave according to local customs, and then refused. 

Our members are absolutely loving this! That's why it's reported here. Could go on 10 pages. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Equally likely, of course, is that these 2 pathetic specimens of female Western humanity could instead have told the Thai tourist to f*** off (or worse).

Highly unlikely.

I've worked and lived all over the world and on a couple of occasions have politely been told about customs etc that i had not followed, once i was told i then acted accordingly.

you sound like a lovely chap by the way, your boyfriend must be proud.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is common sense balance and this lady clearly lacks that judgement.

No, it was a reasonable judgement with which the monk agreed.

Residents in the vicinity hold the site in high regard, making sunbathing there culturally inappropriate.

The concerned witness brought the matter to the attention of a monk, who assured that the message would be relayed to the tour guide responsible for bringing the foreign women to the temple.

The reverse, then: the girls lacked common sense about what conduct might be culturally inappropriate. Not uncommon among tourists. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BigStar said:
32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is common sense balance and this lady clearly lacks that judgement.

Residents in the vicinity hold the site in high regard, making sunbathing there culturally inappropriate.

The concerned witness brought the matter to the attention of a monk, who assured that the message would be relayed to the tour guide responsible for bringing the foreign women to the temple.

The reverse, then: the girls lacked common sense about what conduct might be culturally inappropriate. Not uncommon among tourists. 

I agree - the girls lacked some cultural sensitivity...  But you, clipped my comment to suit your rhetoric... 

The complaint such that this has reached the media is out of balance with the innocent and naievely ignorant faux-pas.

The girls were in shorts and a top... (tank top), had kicked off their shoes and were relaxing on a grassed area outside of the Wat (temple) but within the grounds....   its hardly a grossly inappropriate offence to Thailand's cultural sensitivities - I wonder if the same complaint would be drawn if it were Thai's behaving the same way (not that we'd see Thai's sitting in the sun).

------------

When I first came here I recall a Thai colleague going berserk at me for pointing at something with my foot - his response was far more offensive and impolite than my naively ignorant faux-pas - Some people (of all nationalities) are constantly on the search to be outraged and offended by something... 

------------

This is hardly the newsworthy offence to Thailands pristine culture....  what, women with bare shoulders at a temple ????? 

Say it isn't true...   

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 13.27.26.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 13.27.33.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 13.27.46.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 13.27.53.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 13.28.02.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 13.28.10.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Our members are absolutely loving this! That's why it's reported here. Could go on 10 pages. 

Yes.  Loving to argue about a load of rubbish to start with, and already 3 pages after 6 hours. Wait till your suggested 10 pages in about the usual 3 days and will all be forgotten and nothing achieved. The advertisements are probably more interesting ??

3 minutes ago, Jing Joe said:
1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Yes.  Loving to argue about a load of rubbish to start with, and already 3 pages after 6 hours. Wait till your suggested 10 pages in about the usual 3 days and will all be forgotten and nothing achieved.

How many of those 10 pages will be filled up with people having arguments and discussions about something they feel doesn't need arguing about and discussing.. ??...  :whistling:

3 minutes ago, Jing Joe said:

The advertisements are probably more interesting ??

Yet you considered the thread interesting enough to feel the compulsion to express your opinion....   Excellent stuff !!!!... :clap2:

Naive tourists on holidays abroad can do incredibly stupid things. Goa, in the 80s , 2 girls topless on a very quiet beach . I approached and said to be careful, local lads are not used to that. They looked at me as if I was mad and ignored. Off I went for my walk . An hour later I saw the 2 girls running with their clothes and bags in hand, and 20 odd amazed young men looking on. I doubt they did that again in India. Same .the tourists who climb on temple statues to get “ that photo” , or the strange compulsion of some to have their photos on cliffs edge, as one young man apparently did lately in the Grand Canyon and lived to regret it. 

Sunbathing at Sanam Luang draws mixed reactions

sun.jpg

A picture posted on social media of two foreigners sunbathing in Sanam Luang, in front of the Grand Palace, has drawn mixed reactions, with some Thai netizens suggesting that the pair may not have been aware of the site’s significance.

They argue that it is the duty of officials to inform them that the site is not meant for such purposes, otherwise more people will do the same.

A commentator wrote that for foreigners, it is usual to relax or sunbathe in public parks, so they may have assumed, without signage informing them otherwise, that they could do the same in Sanam Luang.

Caption: Photo : Kamron Petprayoon FB

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, new2here said:

I think it’s fair to acknowledge that as the worlds most visited city, invariably there will be some who just plain don’t know … others will be lack of compliance… 

Either way, I think it’s fair play for the authorities to post relevant signage saying what is and what isn’t ok.

True, you can’t really post EVERYthing that’s not allowed - you can take that past the nth degree, but I think a reasonable list of prohibited actions is necessary.. and then i’d be ok with the authorities taking punitive/enforcement action; as proper notice was given in advance   

Consider that signs are not posted because there's no reason to do so? Buddhism is about tolerance.

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its hardly a grossly inappropriate offence to Thailand's cultural sensitivities

Nor did anyone say it is. Exaggerating to trivialize won't help. It was sufficiently offensive.

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The girls were in shorts and a top... (tank top),

Looks like a thong in the latest pic.

47 minutes ago, Jing Joe said:

Yes.  Loving to argue about a load of rubbish to start with, and already 3 pages after 6 hours. Wait till your suggested 10 pages in about the usual 3 days and will all be forgotten and nothing achieved. The advertisements are probably more interesting ??

The advertisements are the whole point, you see.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Thats correct

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Consider that signs are not posted because there's no reason to do so? Buddhism is about tolerance.

Probably couldn't imagine people are such idiots as to need a sign. Rather, tourists should be tolerant and respectful of local customs.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Sunbathe yes, They had clothes on Not Bikinis or Topless  and they weren't In the temple.

What's the problem than, can't anyone do anything without the stupid locals go berserk.

One can see a lot worse on the street or anywhere .

“A Thai tourist called on the authorities to put up warning signs after spotting two foreign women sunbathing inside Chiang Man Temple in the northern province of Chiang Mai”.

They were inside temple grounds , not suppose to disrespect the Temple’s rules, as mentioned before .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1