We screwed up - leaving Thailand on the 18th for the US but forgot to make a Thai passport for our 2 year old

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

Imagine a child-smuggling operation, they could obtain foreign passport for a child and take any child out of Thailand if the authorities don't check for entry stamp on the foreign passport. 

Obtaining  a Thai passport for a child require consent or presence of both parent at least

Any foreign national exiting Thailand without a corresponding entry stamp on their passport would be very suspicious indeed, how did they enter? if they had other passport they used why did they switch? 

That makes sense, and the fastest and easiest remedy would be to get an emergency travel document, My wife got one and it only took two days . It was three years ago , so not sure what the situation is now. 

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Both guardians listed in the Birth Certificate need to be present when applying for the First passport for a Thai minor.

In the Ops case its safe to assume both 'parents' are.

[so you are correct - however, both parents are not required to be present for subsequent Thai Passports - just wanted to add clarification for others who may have a related question].

Yes, both parents also for subsequent passport for a minor; I'm talking from 2022-experience, my daughter was 16 years old. Of course, it might be that some passport-offices have different rules, but I wouldn't take the risk without prior confirmation. Same applies to my Danish home country, both parents needed to be present for the second passport; also 2022.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, both parents also for subsequent passport for a minor; I'm talking from 2022-experience, my daughter was 16 years old. Of course, it might be that some passport-offices have different rules, but I wouldn't take the risk without prior confirmation. Same applies to my Danish home country, both parents needed to be present for the second passport; also 2022.

I wasn't there for my Son's last replacement Thai Passport.

But, as you mention, different Passport Offices may have different rules (which is an common cause of debate on these fora).

My Son's Thai Passport is due a replacement soon - so I'll see if the Wife can get it done on her own or not (its not an issue for us if we have to got back together and get it). 

• Thanks 1

Thai passport from MBK office takes about a week.

I think if the child leaves on the US passport it will not be a problem, except that you will have to pay (I think) 20K for the overstay. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

To reiterate what others have said. 

When my wife went back to Thailand last year, she realized upon entry her passport would expire in two months, right after she returned to the US.

She went to the passport office in Khon Kaen, did the application, picked up the passport the next day.

This isn't a problem you need to sweat about

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think if the child leaves on the US passport it will not be a problem, except that you will have to pay (I think) 20K for the overstay. 

children don't pay overstay fines

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Have you not read the rest of the thread.... any of it ?

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

To reiterate what others have said. 

When my wife went back to Thailand last year, she realized upon entry her passport would expire in two months, right after she returned to the US.

She went to the passport office in Khon Kaen, did the application, picked up the passport the next day.

This isn't a problem you need to sweat about

100% agree.

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
22 minutes ago, steve187 said:

children don't pay overstay fines

Something has changed? My boy did. 

How old is 'your boy' ???

If he's younger than 15 - no overstay fine applies (but they'll still get an overstay stamp).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you not read the rest of the thread.... any of it ?

Is that a trick question? I would have to have read at least some of it to respond as I did, yes? 

100% agree.

Thanks 

How old is 'your boy' ???

Now? 20

If he's younger than 15 - no overstay fine applies (but they'll still get an overstay stamp).

I think he was over 15. 

On 1/15/2024 at 8:01 AM, norbra said:

If all else fails, Your 2 yo can leave and return on US passport.

On your return sort a new passport.

Do a border hop leave on US passport return on Thai Passport

Cannot change passports at border. Need to fly out and back.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:00 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Both guardians listed in the Birth Certificate need to be present when applying for the First passport for a Thai minor.

In the Ops case its safe to assume both 'parents' are.

[so you are correct - however, both parents are not required to be present for subsequent Thai Passports - just wanted to add clarification for others who may have a related question].

Both parents are needed until the passport applicant is 21.

On 1/17/2024 at 7:23 AM, Yellowtail said:

What overstay?

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

@jakow Any update? Hope all went well.

Perhaps enjoying his holiday and too busy to log on and offer feed back....  either that, or can't be bothered... the forums had its use for him, it doens't matter if recent first hand experience is of use to others or not.

• Sad 1