60 day tourrist visa problem

Any feed back would be helpful please.

A friend of mine, a UK resident, but working in the USA applied for the 60-day tourist visa, included in his application was the flight from US to Thailand, gave proof of UK address, proof of accommodation in Thailand

He just received this asking for these details

"Flight details showing the applicant’s name, departure date, all flights en route from UK/Ireland/UK territories to Thailand and onward flights to another destination (E-ticket)."

I can't understand the request for return flight details, I thought you don't need with a visa coming in

Thanks

• Confused 1

Seems like the problem may be that he is applying for the Visa from the Thai embassy in the UK but his flight to Thailand is from the US. Not sure what the answer to this is. I don't know if he should be applying for the Visa from a US embassy. I wouldn't have thought so as he is merely working there, not permanently residing.

Hopefully, someone will be along shortly who can provide a definitive solution. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seppius said:

"Flight details showing the applicant’s name, departure date, all flights en route from UK/Ireland/UK territories to Thailand and onward flights to another destination (E-ticket)."

A bit strange, but maybe just give them details of the flight(s) he took from the UK to the US, as well as the flight itinerary from the US to Thailand. The fact that he's a UK national living/working in the US may be lost on the pedants at the MFA processing the visa.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A bit strange, but maybe just give them details of the flight(s) he took from the UK to the US, as well as the flight itinerary from the US to Thailand. The fact that he's a UK national living/working in the US may be lost on the pedants at the MFA processing the visa.

The other thing is they are asking for 2 new docs, but you can only attach one on the message they sent via his application.

I guess he will just have to come in on a 30 day, he has 3 months off, so wanted 60 plus 30 day extension

are they asking for a ticket showing a departure from thailand ?  you mention to thailand but not leaving thailand.  at one point when i got tourist visas from the thai consulate in los angeles, i had to show a roundtrip ticket or two one ways, coming to thailand and leaving thailand.  other times, the flights weren't required to get the visa -  i think they were promoting tourism during those periods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, buick said:

are they asking for a ticket showing a departure from thailand ?  you mention to thailand but not leaving thailand.  at one point when i got tourist visas from the thai consulate in los angeles, i had to show a roundtrip ticket or two one ways, coming to thailand and leaving thailand.  other times, the flights weren't required to get the visa -  i think they were promoting tourism during those periods.

Yes on their follow-up asking for more, this was the second issue, return flight, it was not asked for on original application

His company pay his flights, so he won't get that for a while yet, I understand it can be got over by buying a cheapie out, but the whole point was to cover that angle with a visa

1 minute ago, Toby1947 said:

If you're applying to the Thailand embassy in London UK. You must be resident with proof,  in the UK at the time of application. They've obviously picked up he is flying from the US. Not doable 

OK, thank you, just makes it harder for offshore workers to do the right thing and get a visa, he has 1/2 million quid house in the UK.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Yes on their follow-up asking for more, this was the second issue, return flight, it was not asked for on original application

His company pay his flights, so he won't get that for a while yet, I understand it can be got over by buying a cheapie out, but the whole point was to cover that angle with a visa

i don't know how many things your friend has left to satisfy on the 'requirements list'.  but it seems like the throw away ticket option is a good option.  that way one gets 60 days with a 30 day ext and have 90 days total.  if one wants 90 days after coming in visa exempt plus ext, you've got 60 covered but will need a side trip.  which is fine if one plans on traveling somewhere.  the other thing is it adds a visa exempt entry to the record.  if one visits often, immigration doesn't like to see those add up.  so two visa exempts - those go on the bad side of the ledger !!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, buick said:

i don't know how many things your friend has left to satisfy on the 'requirements list'.  but it seems like the throw away ticket option is a good option.  that way one gets 60 days with a 30 day ext and have 90 days total.  if one wants 90 days after coming in visa exempt plus ext, you've got 60 covered but will need a side trip.  which is fine if one plans on traveling somewhere.  the other thing is it adds a visa exempt entry to the record.  if one visits often, immigration doesn't like to see those add up.  so two visa exempts - those go on the bad side of the ledger !!!

Thanks, I think @Toby1947 has hit the nail on the head, he is applying from outside the UK due to work, so he is stuffed. He will have to get 30 day on arrival, extend 30 days, then do border run for his third month

• Confused 1

As a US citizen, I got my first Thailand visa at the Thai Embassy in Beijing.  Just 'cause that's where I was staying- I didn't know any better.  Beijing is also where I got my first Russian visa.  In each case, there was a little 'splaining (why I was in China) but no big problems.

In his circumstances, I wouldn't worry because there are so many great cheap weekend side trips he can take to reset his 30 day clock.  And it doesn't sound like he's skint.  But I'd suggest next time trying the nearest Thai consulate in the USA.  TBH, I don't know if that's do-able, but maybe someone will chime in here who has actually done it.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Seppius said:

A friend of mine, a UK resident, but working in the USA applied for the 60-day tourist visa, included in his application was the flight from US to Thailand, gave proof of UK address, proof of accommodation in Thailand

He should have applied online through the UK Thai Embassy. He could have uploaded a screenshot of a flight from the UK to Thailand, ie an intinary right up to the payment page. This would have been accepted and visa issued. He could then book and fly from the US to Thailand as planned.

• Thanks 1

Having just got a SETV from London (I'm Brit, living in UK), I recall one of the questions asked was "What nationality are you?" - obviously my passport proved that.

Another was asking  for "Document indicating current location" and I showed the proof of my UK residence. (Council Tax bill)

I was also asked for Travel booking confirmation – I used my return ticket UK-Thailand-UK. 

You say that he has a ticket  "flight from US to Thailand" but can he show himself leaving Thailand or is that a single ticket? You did say that he's been asked to show "onward flights to another destination"

That's usual for a tourist visa - they want to know you're going to leave after the permission to stay expires, I imagine.

This is probably what has tripped the applicant up.

If it was me, I would reply to the email explaining the situation - can he show a "Document indicating current location" do you know? US hotel bill perhaps.

Another approach might be to waste the 30 UKP and apply again to the appropriate Thai Consulate in USA, who might of course deny it for similar reasons!

His last resort, as others have said, is to enter without a visa, get 30 days and either extend it or do a border hop.

I think to do that, he'll need to show the airline a booking leaving Thailand within 30 days.

All a right PITA!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, VBF said:

Having just got a SETV from London (I'm Brit, living in UK), I recall one of the questions asked was "What nationality are you?" - obviously my passport proved that.

Another was asking  for "Document indicating current location" and I showed the proof of my UK residence. (Council Tax bill)

I was also asked for Travel booking confirmation – I used my return ticket UK-Thailand-UK. 

You say that he has a ticket  "flight from US to Thailand" but can he show himself leaving Thailand or is that a single ticket? You did say that he's been asked to show "onward flights to another destination"

That's usual for a tourist visa - they want to know you're going to leave after the permission to stay expires, I imagine.

This is probably what has tripped the applicant up.

If it was me, I would reply to the email explaining the situation - can he show a "Document indicating current location" do you know? US hotel bill perhaps.

Another approach might be to waste the 30 UKP and apply again to the appropriate Thai Consulate in USA, who might of course deny it for similar reasons!

His last resort, as others have said, is to enter without a visa, get 30 days and either extend it or do a border hop.

I think to do that, he'll need to show the airline a booking leaving Thailand within 30 days.

All a right PITA!

Thank you for the detailed reply, and yes he just emailed them an explanation, which I helped him compile, as he is flying Saturday from the states probably out of time now, so as you say write off the £30 and try on his next rotation. He is also thinking about the SETV, he has the financial requirement

22 minutes ago, jimn said:

He should have applied online through the UK Thai Embassy. He could have uploaded a screenshot of a flight from the UK to Thailand, ie an intinary right up to the payment page. This would have been accepted and visa issued. He could then book and fly from the US to Thailand as planned.

Thank you, next time, this way

It is normal that they require flight out of Thailand during visa application process. I always had to provide it. As far as I know it doesn't have to be return flight, it can be any onward flight out of Thailand. 

When one has a visa then the flight is not required by the airlines. But it is normally required for a tourist visa by the embassy. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seppius said:

The other thing is they are asking for 2 new docs, but you can only attach one on the message they sent via his application.

I guess he will just have to come in on a 30 day, he has 3 months off, so wanted 60 plus 30 day extension

This allows you to combine multiple PDFs (assuming tickets were bought online and received as such) into one, which you can then load onto the visa site:

https://www.foxit.com/merge-pdf/?utm_source=client-app&utm_medium=ReaderAd&utm_campaign=merge-onlin

If you have a ticket PDF which includes a load of other stuff besides the basic ticket-including-itinarary you will have to go further and find yourself some PDF editing software to isolate the most important info.

This does that, but I have not used it:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=foxit+pdf+editor+free+download&sca_esv=598740777&source=hp&ei=DUumZcDzBZyhseMP1cGEoAc&

I have used the PDF combiner......previously only combined 2  but just combined 3 to assure myself I wasn't sending you the wrong direction.

PS Also possible to do the same with JPEGs using appropriate software......useful if you only have paper docs and make photo copies of them. 

I had a bit of Russian software that did that but deleted it a while back.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Not entirely convinced this would work. They do specify on the website that they want to see a confirmed E-Ticket (as stated in the OP's initial post). I don't think an itinerary without confirmed ticket would work.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dougball said:

On Dec. 8th, I applied for a Tourist visa (Ottawa) and the fee was taken the following day.  It is still in processing.  Reviewing documents.  This delay is very upsetting as my room and flight had to be paid for in advance. Almost every year from 1988 to 2015, I visited Thailand with an easily obtained tourist visa.  I was hoping to start vacationing in Thailand again but this visa application experience will cause me to seek other beaches. I don't understand Thailand rational in making the visa application so difficult and worrying.

According to Ottawa website, the processing time is up to 25 business days once all supporting documents have been received.

You applied 42 day ago, but 16 of those days were not business days, so you're now at 26 waiting days.
I'd be giving them a nudge.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Seppius said:

I think he's caused confusion by submitting flights from the US, but giving a UK address, when he should have stated his US address.

He doesn't need to be a resident of the US to apply for a TV at a US Embassy/Consulate.

The e-visa application sites are 'smart' sites. His application I suspect was forwarded to the London Embassy due to giving a UK address, but flight details from the US.
They're looking at how he's getting to the US, not realising he's already there.

He should email the Embassy explaining his circumstances to clear any confusion, quoting any application/reference number.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

If he applied for an e-visa online thru the embassy i believe one of the main requierments is you must apply in your home country and be in your home country. All his info is indicating he's in the USA but his from the UK. I'd check into that first. He may be better off just going visa exempt and get an extension

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alldar said:

It is normal that they require flight out of Thailand during visa application process. I always had to provide it. As far as I know it doesn't have to be return flight, it can be any onward flight out of Thailand. 

When one has a visa then the flight is not required by the airlines. But it is normally required for a tourist visa by the embassy. 

Does not ask for it, only after review have they asked

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Almost all nationalities can apply for a Tourist visa at any Thai Embassy where they may be temporarily located, as others have noted above.

In the past I've had a Tourist visa for Thailand from China, Germany and Spain, with a UK passport.

Thank you. i will update the thread if we hear anything, hoping the email we sent will work

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Almost all nationalities can apply for a Tourist visa at any Thai Embassy where they may be temporarily located, as others have noted above.

In the past I've had a Tourist visa for Thailand from China, Germany and Spain, with a UK passport.

I was speakng about the on-line evisa system , not walking into an embassy and applying

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I was speakng about the on-line evisa system , not walking into an embassy and applying

No difference.

Only for certain visa types, you have to be a national or a permanent resident of the Country you're applying, such as the Non Imm O-A.

The requirements whether you need to be a national, have PR, or not, will be posted on the Thai Embassy websites for the specific visa types.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1