Iran launches missile strikes in northern Iraq and Syria, claims to destroy Israeli spy base

stats

Screenshot_19.jpg.89f0db9d63e50b36157b11cef59577f7.jpg

(CNN) -- Iran’s Revolutionary Guards on Monday launched ballistic missiles at what it said was a spy base for Israel’s intelligence agency Mossad in northern Iraq, and at “anti-Iran terror groups” in Syria, in the latest escalation of hostilities that further risks spiraling into a wider regional conflict.

The strikes were condemned by the United States as “reckless” and imprecise.

Iranian forces said the midnight missile strike in Iraq destroyed “one of the main espionage headquarters” of Israel in Erbil, capital of the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, in response to what they said were Israeli attacks that killed Iranian Revolutionary Guard commanders and members of the Iranian resistance front.

At least four civilians were killed and six others injured in the attack, according to a statement early Tuesday by the Security Council of the Kurdistan region.

(more)

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/16/middleeast/iran-missiles-kurdistan-syria-israel-intl-hnk/index.html

• Thanks 2

On 1/16/2024 at 12:33 PM, stats said:

The strikes were condemned by the United States as “reckless” and imprecise.

Hmm.  Does that mean that they didn't hit the target, more than the target......but that the target was infact there ?

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Iran attacking Pakistan is problematic. 

The Sunni-Shiite conflict has great potential for becoming a catastrophe.

They are attacking Baluchistan seperatists, with whom also Pakistan has severe issues.

But you are right: In the Teheran-Baloch conflict, the Sunni-Shia question is involved

The seperatists are deemed terrorists by the US.....so probably aren't all bad

:smile:

• Confused 1

Last night’s unprovoked and blatant breach of Pakistan’s sovereignty by Iran is a violation of international law and the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations.

This illegal act is completely unacceptable and has no justification whatsoever. Pakistan reserves the right to respond to this illegal act. The responsibility for the consequences will lie squarely with Iran.

https://mofa.gov.pk/press-releases/statement-by-the-spokesperson-on-last-nights-violation-of-pakistans-sovereignty-by-iran

• Thanks 2

Pakistan has hit back. Iran should probably wind its neck in a bit. Although they've long held animosity to one another and lobbed firecrackers here and there, Pakistan is a proper nuclear power and also a bit twitchy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Last night’s unprovoked and blatant breach of Pakistan’s sovereignty by Iran is a violation of international law and the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations.

This illegal act is completely unacceptable and has no justification whatsoever. Pakistan reserves the right to respond to this illegal act. The responsibility for the consequences will lie squarely with Iran.

https://mofa.gov.pk/press-releases/statement-by-the-spokesperson-on-last-nights-violation-of-pakistans-sovereignty-by-iran

Well, Pakistan is harboring groups that do launch attacks on the Iranians.

Iran Targets Terror Outfit Jaish Al-Adl Inside Pakistan

https://www.voanews.com/a/iran-targets-terror-outfit-jaish-al-adl-inside-pakistan/7444873.html

Are you claiming that Iran doesn't have the right to defend itself from terrorists?

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, Pakistan is harboring groups that do launch attacks on the Iranians.

Iran Targets Terror Outfit Jaish Al-Adl Inside Pakistan

https://www.voanews.com/a/iran-targets-terror-outfit-jaish-al-adl-inside-pakistan/7444873.html

Are you claiming that Iran doesn't have the right to defend itself from terrorists?

I did a copy and paste quote, I am not claiming anything but I do agree with the statement made by Pakistan. Clear enough for you?

Just now, placeholder said:

You don't see the implications of your stance on all of Israel's strikes on other countries? 

What do you not agree with in this statement?

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

What do you not agree with in this statement?

Ah the irony. Why is it a violation of international law for Iran to attack terrorist groups in a sovereign nation but not for Israel to do the same against a sovereign nation?

• Confused 2

The irony is that you have an obsession with calling out Israel all the time. Israel is fighting a war because of being invaded by terrorists and is not the topic of this thread.

I'm not referring to Israel's current engagement. I am referring to its attacks on what it calls terrorist groups harbored in, say, Syria and Lebanon. You don't think a nation has the right to defend itself from attacks by retaliating against groups that find safe harbor in another nation?

• Confused 3

I'm not referring to Israel's current engagement. I am referring to its attacks on what it calls terrorist groups harbored in, say, Syria and Lebanon. You don't think a nation has the right to defend itself from attacks by retaliating against groups that find safe harbor in another nation?

This is not about Israel and I am not getting drawn in by your off topic deflection, start your own topic on that or go to tome of the dozens currently running on Israel already.

Again I agree with the statement by Pakistan as I would for any state for whatever reason being hit by another country. 

Back in your box

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is not about Israel and I am not getting drawn in by your off topic deflection, start your own topic on that or go to tome of the dozens currently running on Israel already.

Again I agree with the statement by Pakistan as I would for any state for whatever reason being hit by another country. 

Back in your box

Good to know that you condemn any nation should it retaliate against terrorists in any country where they are harbored. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Good to know that you condemn any nation should it retaliate against terrorists in any country where they are harbored. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Great, you do that, everyone has a right to self defense no matter what or who they are. I look forward to it. 

I also agree with the US and UK hitting the houthi's but they also have a right to retaliate back on the US and UK.

Edited by Bkk Brian

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Great, you do that, everyone has a right to self defense no matter what or who they are. I look forward to it. 

I also agree with the US and UK hitting the houthi's but they also have a right to retaliate back on the US and UK.

I'm sure you think that this statement is reconcilable with your support for the Pakistani statement. But how you got there is mysterious.

• Confused 3

Quite right too. Iran needs to feel the heat

Pakistan launches retaliatory strikes into Iran, with reports of seven killed

Pakistan has launched retaliatory missile strikes into Iran, reportedly killing seven people, after Iran carried out strikes in Pakistan late on Tuesday.

Pakistan said its strikes had hit "terrorist hideouts" in Iran's Sistan-Baluchestan province.

Three women and four children were killed, Iran state TV said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68014882

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I'm sure you think that this statement is reconcilable with your support for the Pakistani statement. But how you got there is mysterious.

You have nothing then only more deflection

• Agree 1

You have nothing then only more deflection

If you can't see the contradiction between your support of Pakistan's statement on the one hand, and the right of Iran to retaliate against terrorists harbored in Pakistan on the other, I don't know what there is that I can say to help you understand.

By the way, I'm not defending Iran's decision. I think it was stupid and self destructive. But that's a different question than whether or not it's legally justifiable.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

If you can't see the contradiction between your support of Pakistan's statement on the one hand, and the right of Iran to retaliate against terrorists harbored in Pakistan on the other, I don't know what there is that I can say to help you understand.

By the way, I'm not defending Iran's decision. I think it was stupid and self destructive. But that's a different question than whether or not it's legally justifiable.

By the way, I'm not defending Iran's decision :cheesy:

Good, I am defending Pakistan's decision to hit back at terrorists in Iran.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

By the way, I'm not defending Iran's decision :cheesy:

Good, I am defending Pakistan's decision to hit back at terrorists in Iran.

So, it's okay for Pakistan to attack terrorists in Iran but not okay for Iran to attack terrorists in Pakistan? 

• Confused 3

So, it's okay for Pakistan to attack terrorists in Iran but not okay for Iran to attack terrorists in Pakistan? 

Yes it was fine for Iran to do that and expect the consequences. Which it just has. Back in your box yet?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Pakistan has hit back. Iran should probably wind its neck in a bit. Although they've long held animosity to one another and lobbed firecrackers here and there, Pakistan is a proper nuclear power and also a bit twitchy.

Kinda doubt Pakistan contemplates anything on this level. It will take a major escalation and threat to national security to even come near to that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes it was fine for Iran to do that and expect the consequences. Which it just has. Back in your box yet?

So now it's fine for Iran to have done that but you also back Pakistan's statement? Squaring the circle much?

• Confused 3

So now it's fine for Iran to have done that but you also back Pakistan's statement? Squaring the circle much?

Of course I back Pakistan's statement, its International Law and they have a right to strike back which is exactly what they did. 

It seems it is being reported that both sides have maybe targeted the same group of insurgents, located on either side of their mutual border.

The Jaish al Adl group and/or associates, an outlawed Sunni Muslim separatist group that has a goal of an independent Baluchistan.

Lets see if thise initial reports are correct, or was just a tit for tat move.

May allow both sides to now step back and reduce tensions.

IMG_1999.jpeg

• Confused 1