A bump in the road to full EV adoption - EV Battery Factory Will Require So Much Energy It Needs A Coal Plant To Power It

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm more worried about throwing $6.8 billion of tax money up against a wall and hoping it sticks.  To a foreign company, no less.  And doing that hundreds of times.  When we have a $34T deficit.  And millions of new hungry mouths, with crappy employment prospects.

But it fits with biden's 'made in USA' stance, even though a company with HQ in JP :cheesy:

Top 10 states for auto manufacturing & coal fired power plants

Michigan ... 5 coal fired power stations

Ohio ... 5

Indiana ... 13

Texas ... 12

Illinois ... 10

Tennessee ... 4

Missouri ... 9

Kentucky ... 9

Alabama ... 3

Mississippi ... 2

Hypocrisy - the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BenStark said:

On Saturday night, the AESO had to issue an emergency alert asking households to conserve power to avert a “high risk” of rotating power outages, CBC wrote. That meant turning off unnecessary lights and appliances, minimizing use of electric space heaters, avoid cooking with a stove, and delaying plugging in electric vehicles or block heaters.

https://www.theenergymix.com/alberta-premier-blames-renewables-after-cold-snap-idled-gas-plants-trigger-grid-emergency/

And BTW there are similar issues in other parts of the world.

Time to wake up.

Have you read the latests Telegraph article about EV's in the UK dropping FIFTY % in second hand value at only the third year, and sales of new EV's dropping like a stone?

And that would be the EV owners' fault that govt/utility companies don't plan for unfavorable weather with a larger natural gas reserve.

That's like blaming the EV owners in TH, or anywhere, because gov't/utility companies didn't expand use of renewables, so they have to burn coal or oil for electric, instead of renewable energy they failed to provide.

With that failed thinking ahead, invite 40M tourist to visit when you're still doing brown outs for lack of proper electric service to Thai homes & business.

EVs been around for decades.  Time for govt and utilities to step up their game was decades ago also.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

link please

On Saturday night, the AESO had to issue an emergency alert asking households to conserve power to avert a “high risk” of rotating power outages, CBC wrote. That meant turning off unnecessary lights and appliances, minimizing use of electric space heaters, avoid cooking with a stove, and delaying plugging in electric vehicles or block heaters.

https://www.theenergymix.com/alberta-premier-blames-renewables-after-cold-snap-idled-gas-plants-trigger-grid-emergency/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And methane, don't forget they belch, a lot!!

They could be however, be rivaled by some AN members :whistling:

I know I am doing my part :tongue:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Not citation to support your figures? Must be made up then.

C02world.jpg.507c315d9b33a1f7876a37b4430293df.jpg

It's a figure calculated by John Cadogan. I could find the video if I wanted to waste my time for you. I don't.

The transportation sector includes everything - aircraft, trains, shipping, heavy haulage. I specifically said ICE vehicles being replaced by EV's, which most reasonable people would take to mean passenger vehicles.

In your rush to dump on me, you forgot to parse the data. Try to do better next time.

• Like 2