A bump in the road to full EV adoption - EV Battery Factory Will Require So Much Energy It Needs A Coal Plant To Power It

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Were I to be a disciple of anyone it would probably be Patrick Moore. 

Please enlighten me why an eminent astronomer has any relevance to this thread.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Please enlighten me why an eminent astronomer has any relevance to this thread.

I do realize that they walk amongst us. I didn't until now know you were one of them. But hey...

27 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I will admit I had to google Patric. seems his an  amateur astronomer who attained prominence in that field as a writer, researcher, radio host. 

I can s see the logic in reducing pollution in urban communities

Why only in Urban communities?

It is the abandonment of science and logic in favor of emotion and sensationalism that bothers me.

Then may I suggest that you stop abandoning science and logic. 

Do you think it is logical to expect  all large clean energy sector to run on solar power?  

I don't know this Patric guy but don't you think it might be more logical to listen to an actual Astronomer, than an amature one? not that i know what any astronomer has to do with clean energy. 

Oh I get it . Solar energy. 5555

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I will admit I had to google Patric. seems his an  amateur astronomer who attained prominence in that field as a writer, researcher, radio host. 

Lord save us 🤔 Me give up logic etc. I think you should give up using a search engine. But in your defence you are not the only challenged one. 

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Lord save us 🤔 Me give up logic etc. I think you should give up using a search engine. But in your defence you are not the only challenged one. 

You can say that again . LOL

On 1/19/2024 at 7:38 AM, retarius said:

Someday we will get a real assessment of the benefits and drawbacks of EVs. One that has not been written to sell more EVs, but a realistic assessment of the scale of the environmental damage done and the real benefits that EVs bring. I have not been very convinced by the arguments so far, and the 'results' of 'studies' paid for by manufacturers don't share their assumptions. 

I view that as a similar argument to using nuclear power to alleviate CO2 production. In the both cases the by product waste problem is enormous but the argument is that it's a lesser evil than the direct global warming caused by excessive CO2. It also doesn't take into account newer battery technologies that are inevitably flowing from the billions in incentives provided by the chinese government. Warranted battery life of a BYD is 8 years. Not bad compared to an ICE vehicle. We could also talk about the environmental damage from oil extraction too but why bother?

Edited by ozimoron

50 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I do realize that they walk amongst us. I didn't until now know you were one of them. But hey...

Feel free to think of me as someone who does not suffer fools gladly....

7 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

And nobody mentions the disposal of the batteries after they are no longer viable, another environmental disaster.

EV no thanks.

Yes, we do, you're simply not paying attention 😎

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Very much so, we use one to provide better than 80% of our domestic electricity needs.

You could too, for a modest investment.

True but if you were to decide to build a new fusion reactor same as the current model, from scratch, your financiers would have to wait billions of years for their return on investment.

Like you, I'm going to stick with our shared reactor which does 100% of my domestic electricity needs and, being such a versatile reactor, it also plays an important role in growing my rice.

• Like 1

I still think the main problem with electric vehicles will be the electricitydemand and distribution for recharging as the uptake of new EVs grows.

A fast charger uses as much electricity as 100 houses. Ten fast charger use the electricity of 1000 houses. Imagine the demand if 1000 fast chargers (100,000 houses) in a city were suddenly switched on. I doubt if any electricity system in any city in any country would be able to cope.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:37 PM, Lacessit said:

Solar, wind and tidal renewables have been delayed by political foot-dragging.

You sure about that?

Massive expansion of renewable power opens door to achieving global tripling goal set at COP28

The world’s capacity to generate renewable electricity is expanding faster than at any time in the last three decades, giving it a real chance of achieving the goal of tripling global capacity by 2030 that governments set at the COP28 climate change conference last month, the IEA says in a new report.

The amount of renewable energy capacity added to energy systems around the world grew by 50% in 2023, reaching almost 510 gigawatts (GW), with solar PV accounting for three-quarters of additions worldwide, according to Renewables 2023, the latest edition of the IEA’s annual market report on the sector.

https://www.iea.org/news/massive-expansion-of-renewable-power-opens-door-to-achieving-global-tripling-goal-set-at-cop28

On 1/20/2024 at 8:08 AM, Lacessit said:

It's a figure calculated by John Cadogan. I could find the video if I wanted to waste my time for you. I don't.

The transportation sector includes everything - aircraft, trains, shipping, heavy haulage. I specifically said ICE vehicles being replaced by EV's, which most reasonable people would take to mean passenger vehicles.

In your rush to dump on me, you forgot to parse the data. Try to do better next time.

John Cadogan is the Australian car salesman who repeatedly predicted the demise of Tesla. Enough said. Get back to us with analyses offered by genuine experts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/20/2024 at 6:53 PM, VocalNeal said:

I can s see the logic in reducing pollution in urban communities after all it worked in post-war London. It is the abandonment of science and logic in favor of emotion and sensationalism that bothers me.  

Right. Pretty much the entire scientific community has abandoned science and logic leaving only a few enlightened folks like yourself to support it.