Social Media Uproar Over New Sanam Luang Sign Showing Two Foreign Women

webfact

Bangkok is sooo lacking in green spaces and parks...  heck, just patch of dirt with grass.... that seeing a bit of green must seem like a hallucination.

The insipid rules: besides no sunbathing, people can't even just sit on the grass. How can a person tell it is part of the temple, and if it were, why shouldn't people be allowed to take a load off their feet instead of baking on concrete? If these numbskulls were in charge 2500 years ago, they would have arrested the Buddha for sitting under a tree without a permit!

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2024 at 7:28 AM, ChrisY1 said:

Any more proof needed as to the xenophobic ways of many Thais?

Stop trying to push your messed up countries pathetic behaviour onto the rest of the world...you know, this just ain't Arkansas 

Firstly, I was outraged that this is a news issue in the first place...

Then, I was outraged at the outrage...

Now, I'm outraged at outrage to the response...

Or am I ??... No, of course not....   and neither is anyone else, they just have an opinion, but I very much doubt its anywhere near outrage or uproar, its just an opinion some people are voicing which is a far cry from uproar - in fact, Thailand does the 'absence of uproar' very well !!! 

Again, this is just the media sensationalising an extremely insignificant and minor event to drum up attention...    perhaps I should be outraged at the media themselves then !!!

On 1/20/2024 at 4:40 AM, 2baht said:

Please netizens, we don't need convincing that you are lowly educated fools, we know that already!

By association and the fact that you are 'commenting' on this story, you are one of those netizens you so criticise....

... Or is it just everyone else contributing to any online story who is a netizen, but not you... ?... hmmm...

• Sad 1

On 1/20/2024 at 3:54 AM, gomangosteen said:

Who are all these permanently outraged Thai netizens?

Exactly... the 'media' and often people on this forum use an unverifiable 'they' as a consensus which is rarely true.. 

- Netizens - they...  as in 'netizens were outraged'.... (often quoted by the media)

- Thai's - they... as in 'They don't want us here'.... (often quoted by posters in this forum)

Who exactly is 'they' in such contexts ?...   its the use of an exaggeration, often of an extreme minority in an attempt to strengthen a weak argument or point that otherwise could not be made.. 

... its hardly headline grabbing.."some online posters expressed distaste"...  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/20/2024 at 4:04 AM, bamnutsak said:

I finally saw a photo of these women. One was wearing a mid-length sports top and tight black shorts.

You can see dozens of women similarly attired in Benjakitti or Lumphini this morning.

There were two separate events recently.

1) Two females sunning themselves on the grassed area of a Temple grounds in Chiang Mai - wearing a tank-top and shorts.

- This resulted in a Thai member of public sending a photo to Chanel 3 who ran with the story. 

- 4 Police went to the Western Tourists guest house to slap them on the wrist and provided another news bite.

2) Two females sunning themselves on Sanam Luang in Bangkok - one of them in a G-string Bikini.

- Again, this resulted in Photo's reaching the media who ran with the story.

- This resulted in the 'officials' clumsy response to erect a ridiculous sign.

Both situations were inflated in the media, some argue with a sense of 'of bad foreigner' borderlining on xenophobia, both handled in a clumsy manner....

Its the latter situation; two women sunbathing in Sanam Luang in Bangkok to which this thread and story refers. 

On 1/20/2024 at 4:55 AM, NanLaew said:
On 1/20/2024 at 3:28 AM, ChrisY1 said:

Any more proof needed as to the xenophobic ways of many Thais?

Xenophobic? Hardly. The netizens are carping on about the city fathers having not asked the foreign ladies permission to use their picture.

What's the Thai word for woke?

I think you missed his point... 

The suspected xenophobia is on the part of the 'city' officials who reacted in this manner and used 'foreigners' in their example. 

Had they erected a sign that said....

- no swimwear

- no sleeping

Without any allusion to this being a 'foreigner only' issue then the response would be less of a clumsy back-fire. 

The official response is clumsy, thats all, its what advisors are for...  

Sun bathing ie :"Tanning" is certainly not a Thai thing to do as they cover up and avoid the sun like vampires desiring the Hi-So white skin look.... They must think these big nosed, rich white women are crazy and will easily take there money for such ridiculous behavior.

On 1/20/2024 at 1:55 AM, NanLaew said:

Xenophobic? Hardly. The netizens are carping on about the city fathers having not asked the foreign ladies permission to use their picture.

What's the Thai word for woke?

ตื่น