Glorious Tomatoes.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I agree

They just started turning red. I have a bunch of very big Green tomatoes, lets keep our fingers crossed.

and talking about Green tomatoes have you tried frying them in tempura flour? 

Arroy mak mak. in fact I was thinking of what to have for lunch , maybe I will make some. 

Never been able to get any fruit so all tomatoes have been bought here, varying from bright red to a mixture of red, orange and yellow.

Sounds quite good, I have had a variety of baked stuffed tomatoes and quite partial to anything along those lines.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Never been able to get any fruit so all tomatoes have been bought here, varying from bright red to a mixture of red, orange and yellow.

Sounds quite good, I have had a variety of baked stuffed tomatoes and quite partial to anything along those lines.

Where we are in Khon Kaen it is very hard to find tomatoes big enough to make stuffed tomatoes, and when you find ones that are big enough and you want to make salad , you don't need cucumbers because the tomatoes taste like cucumbers, LOL

Next time you try to grow your own, start in October to avoid the rains,and when it is cooler and dryer. 

If you still have trouble try sterilizing the soil. 

Why sterilize the soil ? I have read that there are microorganisms in the soil in Thailand (nematodes) non-native tomatoes  have no defence against 

Google , How sterilize the soil. 

It is recommended that you bake the soil for 20 min at 200 degrees, this should eliminate bugs but not cause chemical changes to the soil. 

Obviously I did not sterilize my soil ,(too much) and I am no expert , so I guess I was lucky .

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

Where we are in Khon Kaen it is very hard to find tomatoes big enough to make stuffed tomatoes, and when you find ones that are big enough and you want to make salad , you don't need cucumbers because the tomatoes taste like cucumbers, LOL

Next time you try to grow your own, start in October to avoid the rains,and when it is cooler and dryer. 

If you still have trouble try sterilizing the soil. 

Why sterilize the soil ? I have read that there are microorganisms in the soil in Thailand (nematodes) non-native tomatoes  have no defence against 

Google , How sterilize the soil. 

It is recommended that you bake the soil for 20 min at 200 degrees, this should eliminate bugs but not cause chemical changes to the soil. 

Obviously I did not sterilize my soil ,(too much) and I am no expert , so I guess I was lucky .

Our soil, if you can call it that, like talcum powder at the moment and it is infested with termites. I realised later that was probably the problem with the potatoes. We lose a lot of papaya to the termites and they are slowly killing the barometer bushes. Wish they would turn their attention to the weeds.

All attempts to grow tomatoes was done in pots using what was sold as "compost" and that became problematic, even with domestic seeds. We are in rural Chonburi and climate a bit different to where you are.

Will just keep on buying what we can get, wife won't pay for the imported and a bit hit and miss in the market,  majority are only good for cooking.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Our soil, if you can call it that, like talcum powder at the moment and it is infested with termites.

Same here which is why I made raised beds.

I am fortunate that not too far from me, is a farm that makes those green diamond fertilizer pellets , so I stop by and by their compost before they make it into pellets, It is actually pretty good .  I also got a big load of cow manure that I mixed up with dirt and am leaving it there for a few months to get seasoned, 

I mix 1 part of that to 3 parts of .sandy dirt, and a bunch coconut  husk grinded fine,  and ,or rice husks to fluff the soil up, otherwise it packs like cement. 

There is a powder my wife buys that we put around the roots of new trees when we plant them, We also have a termite problem here. 

You right, the tomatoes for sale here are only good for cooking. That's why I got so excited when I finaly grew some, after many years of failures. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/21/2024 at 6:52 AM, sirineou said:

Do it in rich soil , with good drainage, and start your seed late October, that way the grow during the dry season.

If you grew them on the balcony in an area out of direct rain you could grow all year?

Great news! I too love tomatoes! It's a great feeling to eat the produce you have grown yourself. 

I collect the seeds from my toms to sow the following season. If interested, drop me a PM and I'll email you a list of what I'm currently growing/collecting. The only thing I would ask for in return is some of your seeds. The same goes to anybody here who would like to swap tomato seeds. 

I have tried, and failed to grow tomatoes (and capsicum) in compost pots. They always get off to a great start then fail at about 6 weeks. Reading this topic I suspect I've been over watering, but insects underground could also be the cause.

About 2 weeks ago I started to experiment with hydroponics, using store bought tomato seeds (beefsteak) and capsicum seeds straight from the peppers. I bought a starter kit off Lazada.

24 seeds in all, and about 15 of them are sprouting in their tiny foam cubes. Later I will transfer the healthiest 12 into small pots and start them on the liquid feed.

Mrs C has had great results with her various leafy veg, basil, and mint using the same kits, so I'm full of hope.

7f9938dcdfddba92091e8cce936556ee.jpg_400x400q75.jpg_.webp.42291a45acf1682478ede5b782ae69d5.webp

Edited by chickenslegs

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

I have tried, and failed to grow tomatoes (and capsicum) in compost pots. They always get off to a great start then fail at about 6 weeks. Reading this topic I suspect I've been over watering, but insects underground could also be the cause.

About 2 weeks ago I started to experiment with hydroponics, using store bought tomato seeds (beefsteak) and capsicum seeds straight from the peppers. I bought a starter kit off Lazada.

24 seeds in all, and about 15 of them are sprouting in their tiny foam cubes. Later I will transfer the healthiest 12 into small pots and start them on the liquid feed.

Mrs C has had great results with her various leafy veg, basil, and mint using the same kits, so I'm full of hope.

I would be interested to hear more about your system

I have been told that the problem with some varieties of tomatoes  here in Thailand, is the nematodes in the soil that the tomato plants have no natural resistance to,

The  Hydroponic system eliminates the soil. si there is that,  But increases hydration  .

Initially I had a problem with some of my tomatoes, while in the green stage developing a black spot under them , I thought it was some sort of fungus , ot decease .  What I found out was that neither of these things were true, but that I was overwatering , and that it disrupted the plants ability to absorbed calcium. There was plenty of calcium on the soil but the plant could not process it . 

I was told to cut down my watering to every three or four days depending how dry it was.

So I am wondering how would hydroponics which depends on frequent watterings would work for tomatoes,  

If I understand hydroponics correctly  there is a timer that delivers liquid nutrients for a short length of time, and then the roots are allowed to be in air to adsorb oxygen. 

am I correct?   I really don't know much about hydroponics. 

I would not mind playing around with a beginner system if you know any. 

On 1/24/2024 at 6:29 PM, sirineou said:

Never mind not an expert, I am not even a novice , but I think temperature has also a lot to do with some strains of tomatoes.

I attribute my success  to luck and it could have nothing to do with anything I did. 

but the toms are coming in fast and furious now 

image.thumb.png.70041ca23b936b928e55800d5451b0fe.png 

It's a pity tomatoes don't taste good.

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Great news! I too love tomatoes! It's a great feeling to eat the produce you have grown yourself. 

I collect the seeds from my toms to sow the following season. If interested, drop me a PM and I'll email you a list of what I'm currently growing/collecting. The only thing I would ask for in return is some of your seeds. The same goes to anybody here who would like to swap tomato seeds. 

I lan to save the biggest tomato for seed , do you think I should leave it on the vine until it is very ripe, or take it of the vine when red and let it get over-ripe on the self? I really need to watch a vid on YouTube  , I would not mind sending you some seeds. 

I am not sure why I was successful this year.

Part of the reason was timing,  I started my seeds late  october,  so by the time my young tomatoes were ready to be put in my raised bed, it was dry and was getting a bit cooler. I also put  green sunscreen  fabric over it, 

I brought the seeds with me from our Greek vacation, so that might had something to do with it. 

We had caterpillars eating everything to the point that we had to spray. Yet nothing was touching these tomato plans , weird right? Right next to it I had string beans and they were being eaten alive!!

Perhaps the string beans were the sacrificial crop. By the time they finished eating my sting been pant leafs they were so full they could not eat another thing :cheesy: 

anyway,its a learning experience for me, any advice or ideas is always appreciated. 

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I would be interested to hear more about your system

I have been told that the problem with some varieties of tomatoes  here in Thailand, is the nematodes in the soil that the tomato plants have no natural resistance to,

The  Hydroponic system eliminates the soil. si there is that,  But increases hydration  .

Initially I had a problem with some of my tomatoes, while in the green stage developing a black spot under them , I thought it was some sort of fungus , ot decease .  What I found out was that neither of these things were true, but that I was overwatering , and that it disrupted the plants ability to absorbed calcium. There was plenty of calcium on the soil but the plant could not process it . 

I was told to cut down my watering to every three or four days depending how dry it was.

So I am wondering how would hydroponics which depends on frequent watterings would work for tomatoes,  

If I understand hydroponics correctly  there is a timer that delivers liquid nutrients for a short length of time, and then the roots are allowed to be in air to adsorb oxygen. 

am I correct?   I really don't know much about hydroponics. 

I would not mind playing around with a beginner system if you know any. 

This is my first attempt, but I have read that tomatoes can do well with hydroponics. I intend to let some plants develop fully in the hydroponics pots and others I will try to transfer to soil pots (peat moss) when they look sturdy enough.

All of this is completely new to me and, unlike Mrs C, I don't have green fingers, so I'm just experimenting.

The basic kits are inexpensive and comprise a styrofoam box with holes in the lid, small pots that fit into the holes, a tray with foam cubes* into which the seeds are placed to germinate, and the liquid food.

* alternatively, the small pots can be filled with damp coconut fibre for the seeds to germinate.

This sort of kit ... Lazada Hydro Tech Shop

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

This is my first attempt, but I have read that tomatoes can do well with hydroponics. I intend to let some plants develop fully in the hydroponics pots and others I will try to transfer to soil pots (peat moss) when they look sturdy enough.

All of this is completely new to me and, unlike Mrs C, I don't have green fingers, so I'm just experimenting.

The basic kits are inexpensive and comprise a styrofoam box with holes in the lid, small pots that fit into the holes, a tray with foam cubes* into which the seeds are placed to germinate, and the liquid food.

* alternatively, the small pots can be filled with damp coconut fibre for the seeds to germinate.

This sort of kit ... Lazada Hydro Tech Shop

Thank you, I will give it a try, let us know how it goes for you.

I am only familiar with grow tubes where the already started plants are placed and and nutrient water is sprayed on the roots periodically. allowing for them to also absorbed oxygen from the air. 

I am very interested in the udea and hope to learn more, so I would appreciate you thoughts. 

image.png.f3f6889ab22fb2b907b70b8f5c3cbf25.png

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you, I will give it a try, let us know how it goes for you.

I am only familiar with grow tubes where the already started plants are placed and and nutrient water is sprayed on the roots periodically. allowing for them to also absorbed oxygen from the air. 

I am very interested in the udea and hope to learn more, so I would appreciate you thoughts. 

image.png.f3f6889ab22fb2b907b70b8f5c3cbf25.png

That set up looks good but for a more serious grower. Mine is shown in the link I posted above. I would guess that the periodic spraying of the roots will work much better than keeping them dipped into the water/food mix. That is why I want to try planting some of my seedlings into pots of soil, then I will know what works best.

As I have said, I know very little about growing, I'm just experimenting.

So far I have quite a few seeds that have germinated in their little foam cubes ...

20240201_104611.thumb.jpg.044008da800489f63d143c9093bb5ab3.jpg

The foam looks like a single sheet but it is pre-cut into cubes that easily pull apart for transplanting ,,.

20240201_104707.thumb.jpg.c3c6423555e74b331cef2a464c58764e.jpg

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

As I have said, I know very little about growing, I'm just experimenting.

welcome to the club :smile:

I saw this video on Youtube  (I am sure there are many)  start at 7:30  time stamp  , it  will give you an idea how to make your own, it looked easy. 

I think it will be my next project

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

LOL 

I do that all the time, you will ne able to tell when they get their true leaves, they look totally different, and if you are to crush a tomato leave the smell is unmistakable. I love the smell of tomato plants.

... yep, and apparently the mozzies don't (love the smell) which is another plus ...

Pretty sure your homegrown ones will have more taste than almost all that's on sale these days. That's why my mother's also growing her own (in Austria) now, dark red & very tasty but getting quite sturdy skin because of rather fresh nights there even during summer ...

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife took seeds back from the UK last year and they've grown amazingly well, our biggest problem is squirrels nicking them before we can get them. Has anyone bought a poly tunnel in Thailand?.

1 hour ago, MyThai1 said:

My wife took seeds back from the UK last year and they've grown amazingly well, our biggest problem is squirrels nicking them before we can get them. Has anyone bought a poly tunnel in Thailand?.

I  don't really have a squirrel at our farm, which, now that you mentioned it . makes me wonder why . because at our house not too far away I see them all the time. We cut the bananas down when they start ripening. otherwise the squirrels will eat a bunch of them.   Strange that we don't have them at the farm where it is a more natural setting and on one side the are a lot of trees. 

I seen the  poly tonnels for sale at Global House and at Lazada

I am wondering if it might get too hot for tomatoes in them. If it might be a good idea to make one on your own with shade cloth. and 1/2 inch PVC pipes. 

image.png.b4b8906ea202123802243d442a86e12a.png

https://globalhouse.co.th/product/Tree’Oโรงเรือนเพาะชำขนาด3x8x2M.รุ่น1HS0018-i.3922007041169?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAiP2tBhBXEiwACslfnt0G-7blTIdYTU8Z9GwXdxx6TplqpYoq0cNRhQrLan-iZJRuzRvYXBoCjTkQAvD_BwE

image.png.da0e8d61310c4fa9ab2a54c7fe8e227c.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=poly tunnel gardening

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Today I transferred the seedlings to the growing box. Still not sure which are tomato. They all had a good amount of roots, even the 3 that have no leaves yet.

thumbnail.jpeg.280fe6e0aa14243e4f99107927fc6945.jpeg

The fertilizers (A&B) came with the kit. The third one I bought separately, it's specially for fruit, and I added a helping o that too.

thumbnail.jpeg.998632f0e186b54ef3f2c2941c8299df.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Today I transferred the seedlings to the growing box. Still not sure which are tomato. They all had a good amount of roots, even the 3 that have no leaves yet.

thumbnail.jpeg.280fe6e0aa14243e4f99107927fc6945.jpeg

The fertilizers (A&B) came with the kit. The third one I bought separately, it's specially for fruit, and I added a helping o that too.

thumbnail.jpeg.998632f0e186b54ef3f2c2941c8299df.jpeg

Looks good.

Ap to what level did you bring the waTer and nutrients in relationship to the plant roots? are they fully submerged, or only partially ?

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Looks good.

Ap to what level did you bring the waTer and nutrients in relationship to the plant roots? are they fully submerged, or only partially ?

The tips of the roots are in the mixture (10mm or so). As the mixture is used up or evaporates, the level will go down and the roots will grow to reach it.

I'll post progress here.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The tips of the roots are in the mixture (10mm or so). As the mixture is used up or evaporates, the level will go down and the roots will grow to reach it.

I'll post progress here.

Looking forward to your posts and following with interest. I will be trying something like this also and hope to learn as much as possible from your experience.:smile:

i was watching this video on YouTube (Hydroponics for beginners) and it had a lot of good information. 

You might find it interesting. 

23 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Looking forward to your posts and following with interest. I will be trying something like this also and hope to learn as much as possible from your experience.:smile:

i was watching this video on YouTube (Hydroponics for beginners) and it had a lot of good information. 

You might find it interesting. 

Some good info there, but a bit much for me at the moment. What I did pick up on is the importance of oxygenating the water. My system is described in the video as "deep water culture" and requires oxygenation, which I don't have. So I'm now looking at small aquarium pumps with an air stone which can be easily installed.

Thanks.

On 2/7/2024 at 11:06 AM, chickenslegs said:

Some good info there, but a bit much for me at the moment. What I did pick up on is the importance of oxygenating the water. My system is described in the video as "deep water culture" and requires oxygenation, which I don't have. So I'm now looking at small aquarium pumps with an air stone which can be easily installed.

Thanks.

Got this 3w/220v air pump with 2 air stones from Lazada (95 Baht) just 10cm long. Ordered yesterday and delivered this morning. On the low setting puts out plenty of air for my 20L box.

image.jpeg.1f61197c0cba8f0039a4e829cb26e506.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Got this 3w/220v air pump with 2 air stones from Lazada (95 Baht) just 10cm long. Ordered yesterday and delivered this morning. On the low setting puts out plenty of air for my 20L box.

image.jpeg.1f61197c0cba8f0039a4e829cb26e506.jpeg

Lazada, or I should say the vendors,  are getting very good with shipping. I ordered two items yesterday morning and much to my amazement they were both delivered today. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One week on.

Most of the seedlings are looking healthy. Back row far left, and front row 2nd from left looked like they were going to die, but they are slowly recovering.

image.jpeg.1c3d59f4fd7b50a73237fd757f341362.jpeg

Unfortunately, only one of the tomato seeds made it (store bought from Home Pro),. All the others are capsicum, straight from the fruit to the foam cubes.

image.jpeg.1913f99a9cfb63438f243d7701f3cbb9.jpeg

I've put cantaloupe seeds in the 3 empty pots, from a really nice sweet one we had a few days ago. Nothing moving as yet.

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

One week on.

Most of the seedlings are looking healthy. Back row far left, and front row 2nd from left looked like they were going to die, but they are slowly recovering.

image.jpeg.1c3d59f4fd7b50a73237fd757f341362.jpeg

Unfortunately, only one of the tomato seeds made it (store bought from Home Pro),. All the others are capsicum, straight from the fruit to the foam cubes.

image.jpeg.1913f99a9cfb63438f243d7701f3cbb9.jpeg

I've put cantaloupe seeds in the 3 empty pots, from a really nice sweet one we had a few days ago. Nothing moving as yet.

What you got looks good and healthy, 

Some times seeds are not good.

I had some dandelion greens seed, form one package not one came out, and from the the other package they sprouted like crazy.  (Dandelion greens are very good boiled and served with olive oil and lemon. very healthy , and full of antioxidants.) No rust on this old boy!:laugh:

I would start my tomatoes in  seeding soil.  three to each little section, and then choose the best one of the three. once they have their true leaves in the seeding soil, they will have long enough roots to place in your hydroponic system.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

What you got looks good and healthy, 

Some times seeds are not good.

I had some dandelion greens seed, form one package not one came out, and from the the other package they sprouted like crazy.  (Dandelion greens are very good boiled and served with olive oil and lemon. very healthy , and full of antioxidants.) No rust on this old boy!:laugh:

I would start my tomatoes in  seeding soil.  three to each little section, and then choose the best one of the three. once they have their true leaves in the seeding soil, they will have long enough roots to place in your hydroponic system.

Next time I see big tomatoes I'll buy some. If they are tasty I'll take some seeds and see if they will grow in the foam cubes. I will try some in soil too. I used peat moss last time but all failed after they got to the 4-leaf stage - not sure why.