Glorious Tomatoes.

I decided to transfer all the seedlings to soil pots. I started with just potting 2 but they were doing so well that I was tempted to pot them all. I have about 30 more tomato seeds (beef steak from a packet) starting to germinate in foam cubes - nothing to show yet.

image.jpeg.289e6f8fd31b6e0a2f7f46b8c510c889.jpeg

My only tomato plant has developed these markings on its leaves. Does anyone know the cause and treatment?

image.jpeg.49375d79258e0141f4754f2b10f7fb1e.jpeg

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

I have about 30 more tomato seeds (beef steak from a packet) starting to germinate in foam cubes - nothing to show yet.

The problem you will have IMO (not very educated opinion) will be temperature. You should certainly give it a try, I could be totally wrong. 

My tomatoes were growing like gang bangers, nice big tasty. then it started getting hot again. First I noticed that their skin started to get thicker, I researched it and discover that after a certain temperature, cant remember which but I think it was mid to high 80s  their skin starts getting thick to retain moisture in the tomato fruit. Then my tomato size started decreasing, I speculate also for the moisture retention reason. One advantage you might have with hydroponics might be that because the Fluid might be lower than ambient temperature you might be able to mitigate the temperature issue.

Perhaps you might want to try a hydroponic box that you put a couple of ice cubes in it every day.

Anyway I am fowing you progress with interest and hope to learn from your mistakes and successes .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

My only tomato plant has developed these markings on its leaves. Does anyone know the cause and treatment?

Never seen that before , look like insect tracts. 

Ok so I googled it and it seems like they are indeed insect tracts. (leaf miners)

https://gardeninminutes.com/dealing-with-leaf-miners-easy-growing-episode-4/#:~:text=We see these little white,they're easy to fix.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The problem you will have IMO (not very educated opinion) will be temperature. You should certainly give it a try, I could be totally wrong. 

My tomatoes were growing like gang bangers, nice big tasty. then it started getting hot again. First I noticed that their skin started to get thicker, I researched it and discover that after a certain temperature, cant remember which but I think it was mid to high 80s  their skin starts getting thick to retain moisture in the tomato fruit. Then my tomato size started decreasing, I speculate also for the moisture retention reason. One advantage you might have with hydroponics might be that because the Fluid might be lower than ambient temperature you might be able to mitigate the temperature issue.

Perhaps you might want to try a hydroponic box that you put a couple of ice cubes in it every day.

Anyway I am fowing you progress with interest and hope to learn from your mistakes and successes .

Temperature inside the poly box is hardly affected by the outside temperature, but I nearly lost some seedlings when I forgot to put shade over them. I didn't look at them until mid day and they looked very sad ...

image.jpeg.01b74c587d2a9a2598a89713a8713bab.jpeg

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Temperature inside the poly box is hardly affected by the outside temperature, but I nearly lost some seedlings when I forgot to put shade over them. I didn't look at them until mid day and they looked very sad ...

image.jpeg.01b74c587d2a9a2598a89713a8713bab.jpeg

Yea I had a similar issue and used green shade cloth outside and resolved the problem 

I always had a problem growing cilantro  until I covered the whole raise bed with shade cloth , then both the cilantro and scallions took off. I will take a picture when I go there later today and post. 

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Temperature inside the poly box is hardly affected by the outside temperature,

as I said , this is also a learning experience, so take most things I say with a grain of salt. 

I am not sure if it is the root temperature, the Plant temperature . or a combination of both that cause the high temperature reaction issue. Or even the percentage of the day under high temperatures. 

That's why I suggest you try things different ways and see what works best. 

I am going to the States in a couple of months for a month and I dont want to start any new projects that require my attention.

but when I come back. I want to try a hydroponic box of tomatoes inside the house where it is airconditioned most of the day, under a grow lamp.  

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

I'd be interested to know how that pans out.

Ok so I just came back from my farm/garden.

Bell peppers are starting to come in 

bellpepper.jpg.3439ab00fe4c5f602f647a434fecaaa8.jpg

Jalapeno peppers starting to come in, first time I tried growing them so we will see

Halopemis.jpg.fc4a4c7d68525730dea66182e6d13813.jpg

chives and cilantro doing better. Notice the shade cloth. 

cilantroandonions.jpg.8baf9798d6634111511a73726191edb8.jpg

Tomatoes are almost done for. 

• Like 1