12 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I like that description of a wife and it caused a big smile. I've read enough of your posts to know you make very few spelling mistakes so it's clearly intentional and quite humourous.

Also a great piece of fiction. 

• Confused 3

Slightly off topic bit I've been wondering about the 13 digit numbers on the TINs.Somewhere I've seen a useful breakdown of how these numbers are allocated for foreigners - but I can't track it down.Can any one help?

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is just my opinion.

I would hold fire on getting a Thai tax ID number until you've been here 180 days (or whatever it is) starting from January 1st 2024.  In theory, that is when you, become a Thai tax resident.....

You don't want to put yourself in the Thai taxation system if there ends up being no need.

Who knows what is going to happen over the next few months bearing in mind it has been reported in the Thai Enquirer that these new amendments are going to be contested. 

Even there is only 1% chance that things will change again it is worth hanging on until the second half of the year just to see how everything unfolds.

Just one teeny weeny bit of tax law for you to ignore or digest:

When to Apply for  TIN (Tax Identification Number)

"Within 60 days from the date he derives assessable income".

https://www.rd.go.th/english/21987.html

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

"Within 60 days from the date he derives assessable income"

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't fully understand what this means.

4 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't fully understand what this means.

No problem....have you read the link below?

Assessible income is money that is received that is not exempt from tax for any one of a number of reasons and is eligible to be assessed for tax, even though it may not ultimately be taxable. So if you receive money that you know to be the subject of a tax return in Thailand, you have 60 days from when you reach the minimum threshold, to obtain a TIN. 

20 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes you can.

No you are not, many people need a Thai TIN because their home country bank requested one.

I have 6 bank accounts in the UK, only one of them 'pestered' me for a Thai TIN, and when I say pestered I mean the 'request' came with a strongly worded 'ignore this OFFICIAL request at your peril, doing so will have dire consequences including several years of punitive hard labour possibly in a North Korean prison.'

I can't write my response here due to aseannow rules , however the essence was 'No I don't have a TIN, I don't need one..go away'.  That was at least a year ago....and they respected my answer.

I maintain my initial advice on this subject. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 12:27 PM, The Cyclist said:

Took less than 5 minutes for them to tell me I had no need to file a tax return.

Why did you think you might have to?  Assessable income over 120,000 baht? And what was their reason for saying you didn't have to file a return? Thanx.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:08 PM, Mike Lister said:

No problem....have you read the link below?

Assessible income is money that is received that is not exempt from tax for any one of a number of reasons and is eligible to be assessed for tax, even though it may not ultimately be taxable. So if you receive money that you know to be the subject of a tax return in Thailand, you have 60 days from when you reach the minimum threshold, to obtain a TIN. 

@Dmaxdan are you a bit clearer with this? If not, feel free to ask or to PM me if questions.

13 hours ago, JimGant said:

Why did you think you might have to?

I didn't, but it was no skin off my nose to go and find out

Assessable income over 120,000 baht?

Therein lies the rub. What constitutes assessable income.

To my way of thinkingI

Government Pension, covered by DTA and not assessable income.

Private Pension, not covered by a DTA and might be considered assessable income.

And what was their reason for saying you didn't have to file a return?

They didn't give one, to the best of my knowledge.

As a side note.

I only went as I was fairly certain that my 2 UK pensions, both taxed in the UK would not be subject to further taxation in Thailand.

What I did not know, was if I was required, as a tax resident of Thailand to file anything.

For 2023, according to my local RD Office the answer is no.

I also now have an A4 envelope, containing  all the paperwork for filing a 2023 tax return, should any issues arise in the future.

For me, it was a base covering exercise. I was pretty certain of the outcome before I left the house and headed over there.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 1:34 PM, MartinL said:

I like that description of a wife and it caused a big smile. I've read enough of your posts to know you make very few spelling mistakes so it's clearly intentional and quite humourous.

Very intentional 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

To my way of thinkingI

Private Pension, not covered by a DTA and might be considered assessable income.

As a side note.

I only went as I was fairly certain that my 2 UK pensions, both taxed in the UK would not be subject to further taxation in Thailand.

What I did not know, was if I was required, as a tax resident of Thailand to file anything.

I also now have an A4 envelope, containing  all the paperwork for filing a 2023 tax return, should any issues arise in the future.

For me, it was a base covering exercise. I was pretty certain of the outcome before I left the house and headed over there.

Was your income from your "Private Pension, not covered by a DTA and might be considered assessable income", in excess of the 120,000 baht threshold? I'm sure @JimGant will  want to know that answer also.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Mike Lister said:
20 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

To my way of thinkingI

As a side note.

Expand  

Was your income from your "Private Pension, not covered by a DTA and might be considered assessable income", in excess of the 120,000 baht threshold? I'm sure @JimGant will  want to know that answer also.

I would be interested in the answer to that as well.

19 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I cannot answer that question, as it will be deemed

* Not pertinent to the thread

* Off Topic

* Argumentative.

I'm sure @JimGant has seen the figures, they were posted in the 200 page long thread.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

I cannot answer that question, as it will be deemed

* Not pertinent to the thread

* Off Topic

* Argumentative.

I'm sure @JimGant has seen the figures, they were posted in the 200 page long thread.

Try hard, for all the other posters who need to understand.

4 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Try hard, for all the other posters who need to understand.

Do you really think I would have driven to the RD Office, asking questions about a sum of money that falls below the Thai Tax threshold ?

Which is now a moot point as it is now banked in the UK until the RD extract their finger and issue further questions.

2 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Do you really think I would have driven to the RD Office, asking questions about a sum of money that falls below the Thai Tax threshold ?

Which is now a moot point as it is now banked in the UK until the RD extract their finger and issue further questions.

Nothing you do would surprise me.

To summarize, your assessable income was over 120k but because filing would have resulted in a nill return, you were told not to file, is that correct?