Teenagers and Foreigner Injured in Pattaya Motorcycle Crash

webfact

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

If I as a pedestrian is injured by an uninsured motorbike rider, say one who broke a red light, and I am taken to hospital, will I have to pay my hospital bill? I know, stupid question. I would probably be expected to pay the motorbike rider if he/she is also taken to hospital.

Por Ror Bor will cover expenses up to a certain amount, assuming the bike has up to date road tax that is.

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Por Ror Bor will cover expenses up to a certain amount, assuming the bike has up to date road tax that is.

Yes, but I would still be out of pocket if I was stupid enough to pay anything.

13 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

If I as a pedestrian is injured by an uninsured motorbike rider, say one who broke a red light, and I am taken to hospital, will I have to pay my hospital bill? I know, stupid question. I would probably be expected to pay the motorbike rider if he/she is also taken to hospital.

IMO Yes you would have to pay your bill unless the rider does, which is unlikely, I would refuse to pay their bill  of the rider, and if a Thai they should be covered by the 30b scheme but that would depend on the hospitals managers decision.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah for sure.

Best to do a runner and don't pay the bill !

I would not need to do a runner, this is one of the many reasons I only keep enough money in Thailand for living expenses.

20 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I would not need to do a runner, this is one of the many reasons I only keep enough money in Thailand for living expenses.

ok so you would pay the bill then.

Glad we got that cleared up.

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

ok so you would pay the bill then.

Glad we got that cleared up.

It is not cleared up. As I said, I only keep enough money in Thailand for living expenses, I do not call any hospital bills living expenses.

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

It is not cleared up. As I said, I only keep enough money in Thailand for living expenses, I do not call any hospital bills living expenses.

So you would leave the hospital without paying your bill ?

Aka do a runner.

In an accident in Thailand (motorcycle or car) its quite unlikely that the other party has insurance... Por-ror-bor or otherwise. 

Thus, the only sensible option is to have our own Medical Insurance that covers the costs of our treatment. 

As far as getting stitched up to pay for others when the fault of an accident is theres, then we 'should' be very firm in that rejection or even take measures to avoid such possibilities.... i.e. I have forward and rear facing cams on my bike that are hard wired and record 100% of the time I'm riding (Innov K2).

Thus... IF we are going to get heavily into the debate of who pays, where under what scenario, getting stitched up etc... we could also discuss how to ensure we protect ourselves from that.

That said: I've had 3 car accidents here (luckily never a motorcycle accident) and ultimately, the Police were fair.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So you would leave the hospital without paying your bill ?

Aka do a runner.

No, I would just walk out normally. Keep this debate going, I am enjoying it.:laugh:

40 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

IMO Yes you would have to pay your bill unless the rider does, which is unlikely, I would refuse to pay their bill  of the rider, and if a Thai they should be covered by the 30b scheme but that would depend on the hospitals managers decision.

I agree... but I think one of the issues with the 30B scheme is that it only works in the Province of ID issue and many people work outside of their province (I'm not 100% sure of this but recall reading such on this forum). 

I too would also refuse to pay for someone elses' care, especially as my sympathy would be pretty much non-existent if they were riding dangerously and recklessly to cause the accident.

Just now, NoshowJones said:

No, I would just walk out normally. Keep this debate going, I am enjoying it.:laugh:

OK.. So you, NoshowJones...   IF injured in a motorcycle accident would not be able to pay for your medical care, and once able, would just walk out hospital (assuming they can't physically stop you)... and then get on a flight and go back to your home country never to return.

Its not impossible to do this..... I guess it depends on the cost of the hospital bill of course and assuming you are fit for air-travel.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

If I as a pedestrian is injured by an uninsured motorbike rider, say one who broke a red light, and I am taken to hospital, will I have to pay my hospital bill? I know, stupid question.

If no other insurance, I'm guessing you'd end up having to foot the medical bill yourself ( just one reason to have insurance or the funds to self insure... or as you highlight, be prepared to do a runner if you are fit to do so)

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I would probably be expected to pay the motorbike rider if he/she is also taken to hospital.

No you wouldn't... thats just bar-stool talk.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. So you, NoshowJones...   IF injured in a motorcycle accident would not be able to pay for your medical care, and once able, would just walk out hospital (assuming they can't physically stop you)... and then get on a flight and go back to your home country never to return.

Its not impossible to do this..... I guess it depends on the cost of the hospital bill of course and assuming you are fit for air-travel.

I have first class motorbike insurance, I am referring to an accident as a pedestrain who is not at fault, I know how these things work in Thailand, I would do everything I could not to pay and tell them the get any expenses they are due from the person at fault, if the police cannnot track the guily person down then it is not my fault.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If no other insurance, I'm guessing you'd end up having to foot the medical bill yourself ( just one reason to have insurance or the funds to self insure... or as you highlight, be prepared to do a runner if you are fit to do so)

No you wouldn't... thats just bar-stool talk.

Glad to hear that, but this is Thailand. I have heard and read of both good and bad stories of how the police react to farangs involved in traffic accidents.

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... but I think one of the issues with the 30B scheme is that it only works in the Province of ID issue and many people work outside of their province (I'm not 100% sure of this but recall reading such on this forum). 

I too would also refuse to pay for someone elses' care, especially as my sympathy would be pretty much non-existent if they were riding dangerously and recklessly to cause the accident.

I seem to remember the Thai govt has now made it OK for Thais outside of their province.

Just asked the Missus "yes can any hospital, ☝🏻 'first time' 30b."  I'm not quite clear what that means though.

A friend of mine was knocked of his M/C by a Thai taking a bend to wide, they were taken to the hospital and put in adjoining beds 😱🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by brianthainess

29 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What debate ?

We have established the type of person you are and that is not a decent one.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

What debate ?

We have established the type of person you are and that is not a decent one.

Oh we have another coward who can only say negative things about a poster while hiding behind a keyboard. You have every right to disagree with me,

but you do not have the right to say I am not decent in a public forum.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Glad to hear that, but this is Thailand. I have heard and read of both good and bad stories of how the police react to farangs involved in traffic accidents.

I too have heard the bad stories... but I wonder how much of a spine those 'victims' had when facing blame & how honest they were with their version of events (when blame was placed at their feet).

There is one story (of a poster on this forum) within the last couple of years, whereby his Wife was turning right into a junction from a small road into a side soi... and a motorcyclist travelling the wrong way down the road on the wrong side of the road (i.e. the wrong way down the shoulder) rode into the turning car - Police deemed the driver of the car (posters Wife) was at fault.... 

(nothing to with nationality)... 

...  In these cases the BiB often blame the car driver as they have insurance and the bike doesn't - so their logic is that the insurance covers the costs so no one loses etc - or that the car driver has more money etc...   BUT, that is still not following the law, so we don't have to give in to this way of doing things if we don't want to.

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I seem to remember the Thai govt has now made it OK for Thais outside of their province.

Just asked the Missus "yes can any hospital, ☝🏻 'first time' 30b."  I'm not quite clear what that means though.

A friend of mine was knocked of his M/C by a Thai taking a bend to wide, they were taken to the hospital and put in adjoining beds 😱🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thats good to know....  So theoretically, there is no need for anyone else to have to 'cover the costs' of someone else's medical bills, unless that 'other person' is not Thai of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Oh we have another coward who can only say negative things about a poster while hiding behind a keyboard. You have every right to disagree with me,

Decent people pay their bills, I thought this was common knowledge.

I too have heard the bad stories... but I wonder how much of a spine those 'victims' had when facing blame & how honest they were with their version of events (when blame was placed at their feet).

There is one story (of a poster on this forum) within the last couple of years, whereby his Wife was turning right into a junction from a small road into a side soi... and a motorcyclist travelling the wrong way down the road on the wrong side of the road (i.e. the wrong way down the shoulder) rode into the turning car - Police deemed the driver of the car (posters Wife) was at fault.... 

(nothing to with nationality)... 

...  In these cases the BiB often blame the car driver as they have insurance and the bike doesn't - so their logic is that the insurance covers the costs so no one loses etc - or that the car driver has more money etc...   BUT, that is still not following the law, so we don't have to give in to this way of doing things if we don't want to.

Excellent post and I agree with everything you have said.

So theoretically, there is no need for anyone else to have to 'cover the costs' of someone else's medical bills,

I expect someone would still try to get money out of you though, like their family.

28 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:
39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have first class motorbike insurance, I am referring to an accident as a pedestrain who is not at fault, I know how these things work in Thailand, I would do everything I could not to pay and tell them the get any expenses they are due from the person at fault, if the police cannnot track the guily person down then it is not my fault.

But it seems you don't have medical insurance.....     I agree with you, firstly, given the numbers of motorcyclists riding down the pavement here your scenario isn't far fetched...  in such circumstances the BiB should make the culprit pay for your medical bills etc..

But, its unlikely the 'culprit' has any money to pay in the first place, so what can you do then ?

But, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be in a government hospital unless I had to... so the only option is to ensure we have our own cover to protect ourselves when authorities can't.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

This binary view point could be considered unfair... 

IF someone is injured through the illegal and careless actions of others, why should that person be financially accountable or have to pay their own medical expenses ?

IF the government fail to adequately enforce the law and ensure that people have insurance, and if they fail to enforce the law such that people can flagrantly ride with disregard for regulations and cause injury, why should the injured party (victim) be out of pocket ?

I agree with you, we 'should' all pay our bills, however, this is also a grey area when we consider fault and accountability.

I actually agree with you, yes, decent people pay their bills. But you cannot accuse someone of not being decent paying a bill if it is not a fair one. 

Do keep this debate going, I am enjoying it.

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did you read the report? The kids attempted to change lanes. And, on top of that, they were too young to be riding a motorcycle. So why is Igor to blame>

Yes, I read the report, the girls are under 16yo. 

You don't know Thai law? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

There is also the facet of dual charging....

As we know, many Government Hosptials employ dual-charing, charging more for Westerners than Thai's (i.e. two price lists)...  the Government ruled that this was legal (in a recent case with a Westerner receiving Cancer treatment in Hua Hin a couple of years ago).

If the non-Thai (i.e. Westerner) victim of an incident through no fault of their own needs medical care....    Should they have to pay for that medical care which may be charged at elevated rates because they are foreign  ????