Teenagers and Foreigner Injured in Pattaya Motorcycle Crash

webfact

On 1/28/2024 at 7:16 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe I'm not as cynical as you, and CCTV will show the kids riding illegally were also to blame. Hard to argue with a birth certificate.

It doesn't make any difference if they were uninsured, underage, going the wrong way without lights on an unregistered scooter that doesn't belong to either of them.

It's not cynicism, it's reality. This is Thailand.

On 1/27/2024 at 3:57 PM, Ralf001 said:

Barry is correct.

My insuranace would be chasing the girls/bike owner.

They won't.

My experience with two unlicensed fourteen-year-olds on an unregistered scooter with no lights running a red light and t-boning Mrs NL at a 4-way.

Once they assessed the net worth(lessness) of the victims, the insurance company didn't chase anyone but the assessor handling the case was dragging his feet, thus allowing the family of the girls to try and get the police to shake my wife down. I complained to the insurance broker, who then spoke with the insurance company. Two days later, they replaced the assessor with one who was more proactive, less in awe of the cops and unfazed by the family's histrionics. Once the police issued a no-fault finding against my wife, the insurance company focused on getting her car repaired as quickly as possible. The insurance premium didn't change on renewal, and the no-claims bonus stayed intact.

I'm sure that's not a unique happenstance. With 80% of road traffic accidents in Thailand probably involving mostly uninsured, underage and unlicensed riders on unregistered bikes, the insurance companies realize that eating such charges is a part of doing business in Thailand. It's factored into their business model and base premiums.

43 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It doesn't make any difference if they were uninsured, underage, going the wrong way without lights on an unregistered scooter that doesn't belong to either of them.

It's not cynicism, it's reality. This is Thailand.

And you think that's always the case, even to demonstrate to a foreigner that the law is always for Thais and never for foreigners, even when evidence to support the foreigner is available? Might happen now and then, but you seem to believe the myth that it is always. I don't, so we'll just have to differ on that.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And you think that's always the case, even to demonstrate to a foreigner that the law is always for Thais and never for foreigners, even when evidence to support the foreigner is available? Might happen now and then, but you seem to believe the myth that it is always. I don't, so we'll just have to differ on that.

It's not about believing any myth. It's more about being able to accept the status quo here.

Accordingly, another thing that probably differs are our blood pressures.