Massive crackdown on scam calls: Over 13,000 SIM cards suspended

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“Since January 20, a total of 13,237 SIM cards have been suspended, rendering it impossible to make calls from the associated phone numbers. This drastic action was taken in response to the alarming volume of calls emanating from these SIMs.”

Necessary action...

18 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

amazing news. i keep getting spam on my phone

Do you block the number when you do..... ? I always do and must admit it has gone down of late.... hardly any SMS's with dodgy links... still get a few live calls but they are Thai speakers so I just hang up.

• Agree 1

Go after the phone companies you ass^*^%#%!!!!! 
One has to ACTIVELY tell them to not allow marketing messages/calls through. Ok, anyone can call anyone, but they are absolutely complicit here (and likely getting backhanders) with letting your number out willy-nilly.

#2 DO NOT ANSWER PHONE OR MESSAGES FROM UNRECOGNISED CONTACTS

• Like 1

A few months back I was getting a flood of calls from Malaysia I dont know anyone from there, I would block that number then up pops another one it went on for days, 3 or 4 calls a day, at the same time I was getting messages on the Line app, "Are you still in Thailand" "Are you still in Bangkok" I did the same with them blocked them, all coming from poo ying and not in my friends list, 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Do you block the number when you do..... ? I always do and must admit it has gone down of late.... hardly any SMS's with dodgy links... still get a few live calls but they are Thai speakers so I just hang up.

dont ask me how, but it automatically gets blocked (sms) and I get a message stating that i received spam but that it was blocked... go figure :wacko: i dont know if my wife changed settings, but i doubt it she is an iphone fan but i know for sure i didnt do anything   I have a samsung a52s

same as you with the phone calls... i dont have any reason to get any as i am most inactive,but when i do it is either a wrong # or my internet provider. other than that i just say... falang and either they hang up or i do

about my op in this thread... i apologize for i forgot to mention that it gets blocked automatically... but i do get a lot

Edited by Pouatchee

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

But how is that going to stop the continual +60 and +697 calls that I keep getting?

It might not be ideal for people who receive a lot of phone calls, but my phone is on silent 24/7 unless I'm expecting a call. People can message me on multiple apps if they need my attention.

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So what cards are they using for +64 +67 spam?

Heaven knows, there seems to be no shortage of facilities for them to get so called phone numbers. I see +66  (Thailand ) too.

22 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

dont ask me how, but it automatically gets blocked (sms) and I get a message stating that i received spam but that it was blocked

I think there are some automatic features that can be turned on that come with android... but I have  bit of  a fear some legitimate ones will get caught up in them. My banking alerts for example. 

On 1/27/2024 at 9:32 AM, zhounan said:

Whatever you do here they want your telephone number. There's zero data protection and privacy. 

that's why i give them a fake number unless i actually want to hear from them, no one ever checks.

Edited by it is what it is

22 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I get a message stating that i received spam but that it was blocked

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

but I have  bit of  a fear some legitimate ones will get caught up in them

i still see the message and the phone number... but there is a red exclamation point telling me it was blocked. so, for you, all you need to do is check the message and contact the phone number it came from. im too lazy/dumb to do a screen capture on my phone and edit it but it does work

Edited by Pouatchee

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

i still see who sent me the message and the phone number... but there is a red exclamation point telling me it was blocked. so, for you, all you need to do is check the message and contact the phone number it came from. im too lazy/dumb to do a screen capture on my phone and edit it but it does work

You said something about an Iphone, but then mentioned having a Samsung phone, which would be android... so this is some android feature (or perhaps something Samsung add, or you installed)? I use a Samsung too but it is getting old now.....

50 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Heaven knows, there seems to be no shortage of facilities for them to get so called phone numbers. I see +66  (Thailand ) too.

And yet all the calls I have had all speak Thai, I guess they are able to re-route calls somehow.

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You said something about an Iphone, but then mentioned having a Samsung phone, which would be android... so this is some android feature (or perhaps something Samsung add, or you installed)? I use a Samsung too but it is getting old now.....

iphone is for my wife.

I use android e.g. samsung

Via notifications

1. Swipe down from your home screen to open the notification shade.
  2. Locate the Caller ID and spam protection notification.
  3. Tap on it to activate the setting.

Via your phone app

1. Open your dialer app.
  2. Head to the Call settings menu.
  3. Find the Caller ID and spam protection option.
  4. Toggle it to On.

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-phones-block-scam-fraud-calls-1170841/

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

iphone is for my wife.

I use android e.g. samsung

Via notifications

1. Swipe down from your home screen to open the notification shade.
  2. Locate the Caller ID and spam protection notification.
  3. Tap on it to activate the setting.

Via your phone app

1. Open your dialer app.
  2. Head to the Call settings menu.
  3. Find the Caller ID and spam protection option.
  4. Toggle it to On.

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-phones-block-scam-fraud-calls-1170841/

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I recall seeing this now, but I think I left it off as I use Lazada a good bit and delivery involves calls from many different numbers.