Motorists asked to use public transport until Tuesday to ease air pollution

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Air Pollution Coordination and Resolution Centre is appealing for motorists to reduce the use of their private vehicles and switch to public transport until Tuesday, to limit the accumulation of PM2.5 dust in and around Bangkok.

Useless people.. 

To be honest I don't think vehicles are the main problem, a low % at best, construction sites, crumbling concrete buildings and structures, and the lack of cleanliness everywhere are the main causes of dust. If Thailand kept everything clean, regulated all construction projects and took care of the concrete structures around from crumbling I'm certain the PM2.5 levels would significantly drop.

• Haha 1

So the people who are NOT the problem are being asked to spend additional time, money, and endure inconvenience to help solve the problem. 

While the polluters continue polluting which is the problem.

Brilliant. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The main problem with transit is the lack of parking space

If they want to solve it they need to get old buses and commercial vehicles off the road.

Banning large vehicles during the day is also a start

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The Thai govt. could help by enforcing laws about vehicles with modified exhaust system that pump out excessive amounts of pollution. Especially diesel pickup trucks belching excessive black smoke. The laws are already in place. Modified exhausts on motorcycles are another source of excessive pollution. In the province where I stay, about 30 % or more, vehicles are in violation of the law. The traffic police could collect a very large amount of money and use it to put vehicles in violation back to stock factory exhaust systems.

Not likely to happen in my lifetime but hope for the next generation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All you have to do is fly into Thailand on an uncloudy day like I did a couple of weeks ago to realize that clamping down on auto exhaust to reduce PM2.5 will be futile.

Notice I said "uncloudy day" and not a clear day.  I counted over 200 agricultural fires, some of which blanketed hundreds of square kilometers with a toxic haze.  I quit counting about half an hour inside the Cambodian border.

Well that has to be the understatement of all time

Asking Thais to restrict the use of their cars motor  bikes ect 

Never going to happen 

They will  still be discussing PM2.5 dust in the future and solutions to curb it 😱

With nothing changing 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Air Pollution Coordination and Resolution Centre is appealing for motorists to reduce the use of their private vehicles and switch to public transport until Tuesday............

No chance of that!  I know several Thais that use their car to go to the shops, not more that 150mts away.

Presumably, pollution is not restricted in its penetration to riff-raff like us?  So, how do the people who ...er..."run" the country plan to evade the high levels of pollution?

5 minutes ago, blazes said:

Presumably, pollution is not restricted in its penetration to riff-raff like us?  So, how do the people who ...er..."run" the country plan to evade the high levels of pollution?

Their cars will be less polluting at that time because the roads will be clearer and they'll get to their destinations more quickly !!!!... 

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

So all of the senators, MP's and hangers on are going to catch buses?

A bet not one person in any position of authority uses public transport at all over this period.

The announcement is a virtue signal.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, blazes said:

His Majesty Rama IX used to go to the Royal Palace at Hua Hin.