Mercedes engine fire causes frenzy in Udon Thani

webfact

image.jpeg

A Mercedes engine burst into flames in downtown Udon Thani, causing a stir among locals and fitness enthusiasts in the area. The incident occurred yesterday, January 27, at 8.13pm near a shop along Nong Prachak Silapakom Park within the Udon Thani city municipality.

Upon notification of the fire, Police Lieutenant Colonel Tanawat Thongwilai, an investigating officer at the Mueang Udon Thani Police Station, coordinated with municipal firefighters who rushed to the scene along with rescue workers from the Udon Sawang Mettha Tham Foundation.

At the scene, firefighters encountered the blue Mercedes with the license plate number ขต 9791 Udon Thani engulfed in flames, particularly in the engine compartment. The sudden blaze shocked onlookers and passersby.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

It took firefighters around 20 minutes to extinguish the fire using water and chemical agents. Amidst the firefighting efforts, the vehicle’s horn alarm sounded incessantly, prompting the use of an axe to sever the electric circuit from the battery, silencing the alarm and preventing further electrical short circuits, reported KhaoSod.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

In Thailand you don't need an EV to have a car on fire 😁Irregular/botched service/repair is enough.

And yes, it happens in other countries too.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dpcjsr said:

Electric car? We do not know and they will not say...

Looks like an old Merc, probably "maintained" by a shade tree mechanic.

If it was an EV it would probably still be burning.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

So an Abbot can afford a Merc. Did he drive it himself also?  Professional Mechanic fixed the A/C ...Errr     He'll need a lot of Merit to get out of that. Nice to see the donations going to a fuel guzzling high end car, no doubt they'll were all out begging for food from the poor again this morning. Then back to sit around while someone else cooks for them. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So an Abbot can afford a Merc. Did he drive it himself also?  Professional Mechanic fixed the A/C ...Errr     He'll need a lot of Merit to get out of that. Nice to see the donations going to a fuel guzzling high end car, no doubt they'll were all out begging for food from the poor again this morning. Then back to sit around while someone else cooks for them. 

Its an older merc, worth Bt300,000 on a good day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit cynical that... 

One of the Wife's uncles is a Monk...  he was given him a Merc by the family - are they not allowed to accept gifts such as cars ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A bit cynical that... 

One of the Wife's uncles is a Monk...  he was given him a Merc by the family - are they not allowed to accept gifts such as cars ?

Not a bit cynical, I am very cynical of this whole government funded cult. 

Monks are not supposed to drive or have worldly goods, he should have refused the gift, or sold it and donated the money. I'd like to see his bank account, bet he has a top of the range Phone too, even better your wife's family could have sold it and given it to a much more worthy cause not to someone who lives rent and food free, and never cook their own food, they are just beggars who sit around chanting for some of the day.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Its an older merc, worth Bt300,000 on a good day.

How can you tell what model it is from the Photo, it is still a fuel guzzling big car and the older it is the more fuel it will use, The point is what is a monk doing with a car anyway.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A bit cynical that... 

Not a bit cynical, I am very cynical of this whole government funded cult. 

Monks are not supposed to drive or have worldly goods, he should have refused the gift, or sold it and donated the money. I'd like to see his bank account, bet he has a top of the range Phone too, even better your wife's family could have sold it and given it to a much more worthy cause not to someone who lives rent and food free, and never cook their own food, they are just beggars who sit around chanting for some of the day.

Your being just a bit virtuous then...  

I agree with your cynicism...     but also understand that much of Thailand operates very much in a 'grey area' where rules for anything are concerned...    

.. Ok, so by their own rules, Monks are not 'supposed' to drive - how old are the rules ? from before cars ?.. does this come from them not being allowed to transport themselves ??? 

I get the no personal belongings things.. perhaps the car was 'owned by the temple itself' and him being the head monk had most use of it, I don't know...  but they have to get around somehow right ?... they could have sold it and got a van... but then people like you may suggest thats too comfortable and they should be in a songthaew etc... where is the limit ?

I see Monks upgraded to Business Class number of times - should that not be permitted ?  why not ??

Its a grey area and none of it really bothers me until some use their 'position of moral authority' to gain advantage or influence others.. or worse still, fiddle kids etc.. 

How can you tell what model it is from the Photo, it is still a fuel guzzling big car and the older it is the more fuel it will use, The point is what is a monk doing with a car anyway.

It looks like a circa 1996-2000's E-Class Merc...    But whats fuel efficiency got to do with it ?

Did the Monk own it ? or the was it donated to the temple and they use it ?

You mentioned they are not allowed to drive (I didn't know that).. but is that really so ? Monks are not allowed to drive cars ???  

I think this comes from 'back in the day' (of Bhuddha) travelling was seen as an extravagance...   but travel is no longer an extravagance, so is travel / driving still frowned upon ??...   Is having a 20+ year old vehicle at your disposal considered an extravagance ?

I just learned a little about this here: https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=8992#:~:text=A strict application of this,on alms round by boat.)

... I see that the actual driving part is not permitted... 

Like everything in Thailand I guess... 'up to you' is prevalent throughout all - I wouldn't be so upset at a Monk driving through, neither would most Thai's I guess.

Edited by richard_smith237

it is still a fuel guzzling big car and the older it is the more fuel it will use

Might be running on BBQ gas.

Might even have a more fuel efficient 2JZ fitted.

How do you know it a fuel guzzler ?

Edited by Ralf001

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But whats fuel efficiency got to do with it ?

Who's money is paying for it?

32 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Might be running on BBQ gas.

Well if you read the full story....... oh why do I bother

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It wasn't gas fuelled, as stated in the link.

"Jit confirmed that the car was not fitted with a gas system, which could have exacerbated the situation.".

I stand corrected.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But whats fuel efficiency got to do with it ?

Who's money is paying for it?

So Monks should be riding around in EV's ???....  who pays for the electricity ???

Aren't more fuel efficient vehicles more modern ? who pays for those ?

How are they transported otherwise ??...  a Mini-van is the norm, but isn't that a gas guzzler when its only one or two monks require transport ??

Where do you draw the line ??....    I get it that you think the whole 'Monk' thing is a sham... but I'm wondering why it seems to bother you so much ?  that you are bringing up such insignificant points and even the thought of them being transported in less fuel efficient vehicles is an issue for you.

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So Monks should be riding around in EV's ???....  who pays for the electricity ???

How are they transported otherwise ??...  a Mini-van is the norm, but isn't that a gas guzzler when its only one or two monks require transport ??

Where do you draw the line ??....    I get it that you think the whole 'Monk' thing is a sham... but I'm wondering why it seems to bother you so much ?  that you are bringing up such insignificant points and even the thought of them being transported in less fuel efficient vehicles is an issue for you.

Now you are just trolling, stop trying to find excuses for monks.

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now you are just trolling, stop trying to find excuses for monks.

Its not trolling Brian I assure you...   I'm just wondering why you are going to such a stretch bringing up such points as fuel efficiency... 

Its just odd...    There are sensible points to be made... such as why was a monk driving etc...    but your fuel efficiency point.. thats just really over egging it..  they have to get places just like everyone else... 

... so the question is valid - were do you draw the line ?

I'm mot making excuses for Monks, its very likely we agree on the whole idea of Monk-hood (and religion in general)

But..  I'm picking holes in a rather silly argument of yours... it weakens other points you may have.