Thai Airways: A Downward Spiral of Service, Accountability, and National Pride

webfact

THAI will blame their ranking decline on Covid and their bankcruptcy. Nothing else. 

THAI were, in my opinion, much better before Covid and all the cost cutting through bankcruptcy. As they shed staff, the onboard service and smiles declined. Food and beverage declined too. Still no menu cards in transcontinental business class and less quality choices. With the now higher fares being charged, there is no excuse for THAI not to be back in the top 10 globally. Just goes to show how poorly managed the airline still is.

The cut in mileage redemptions awards in 2019 was dissapointing, but back then I would suspect that very few passengers in business or first class were paying for their seats. Also, the rumours of freebies for "connected individuals" was rife.  

Having said the above, it is still my favoured airline for LHR/BKK/LHR due to scheduling and ease of travel (and until my ROP Gold expires).

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Agree 2

Thai have also made it much harder to earn points in economy -- and that, and the new higher prices, are the reason I've stopped flying them. It's a shame, I flown them since not long after their inception. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... yep, just look at their 'opening' price, that's FROM 41k thb upwards, round-trip supposedly but haven't looked into it ... too freakin' expensive in comparison anyway & always have been ... no thanks, no more questions, 555 ...

goosearchthai2vie.thumb.jpg.5540cead4032ee76282869d3c116c472.jpg

I was usually continuing to KLU, so I took Austrian most of the time, but their price was higher than this a few months back, about 50k on promo, about 70k normally. Used to be about 35-40k before COVID.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of their main issues are that they are offen late on schedule.

Last time I flew with them was Bangkok<->NewChitose/Japan 

First flight of the morning, still got delayed 40 minutes.

Attendant "forgot" my meal, lol, i got skipped. 

My luggage arrived with no wheel, broken and torn off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

Domestic - no idea how but since taking over Thai Smile they always seem to be late and staff (ground and air) not up to the Thai Smile standard

I’m at the departure lounge about to fly Thai to Hong Kong. OK, the plane’s an hour or so late, but I class that as being on time by standards of international travel (my Qantas flight to Bangkok was over an hour late). The Thai ground staff were lovely, doing everything for me without my asking at a self check-in kiosk (way better than waiting for ages at Qantas self check-in at Sydney airport when there’s a problem).

Across the board economy catering has got worse over the last decade, the applies to everything from Qatar Airways to Emirates, but Thai Airways catering is something else, absolutely horrendous on international. I wouldn't fly them international again even if they were the cheapest.

The only good thing is that they cancel and reschedule domestic flights so often that you can generally bet on a free flight change if you got something booked a few months out..

And always late, gets worse as the day goes on, but sometimes they can't even get their noon flights out on time.. Also annoying is they don't declare it's late until the last possible moment, even if they are fully aware of a long delay as inbound flight is nowhere to be seen, on domestic the lounges are prior to security so that's annoying as hell.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

Domestic - no idea how but since taking over Thai Smile they always seem to be late and staff (ground and air) not up to the Thai Smile standard

Yes I reckon Smile were better too. I just flew Thai domestically and they were pretty poor a very old plane worn out and shabby.Thai were good for me when they flew from Brisbane and I knew the airport and office staff but that was different times.It took 3 and a half years to have money [$2,400] refunded.I said then no more international with them.A Potemkin airline

Edited by findlay13
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, eyeman said:

Across the board economy catering has got worse over the last decade, the applies to everything from Qatar Airways to Emirates, but Thai Airways catering is something else, absolutely horrendous on international. I wouldn't fly them international again even if they were the cheapest.

The only good thing is that they cancel and reschedule domestic flights so often that you can generally bet on a free flight change if you got something booked a few months out..

And always late, gets worse as the day goes on, but sometimes they can't even get their noon flights out on time.. Also annoying is they don't declare it's late until the last possible moment, even if they are fully aware of a long delay as inbound flight is nowhere to be seen, on domestic the lounges are prior to security so that's annoying as hell.

I was on them last year (Eco Int'l) to Japan and didn't notice anything negative, I didn't notice anything great either... flying sucks !!..

I have fairly low expectations anyway - a couple of beers, edible food, noise canceling headphones on and watch my iPad.

I'm flying them again in a couple of weeks (Airmiles Buisness Class ticket).. its been a while, but again, my expectations are not hight.. 

I just expect a comfortable functioning seat, a couple of beers, edible food on a slightly larger tray so I'm not so scared of spilling something all over-myself... and again, watching something on my iPad...  Eco again on the return, standard expectations... 

10 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’m at the departure lounge about to fly Thai to Hong Kong. OK, the plane’s an hour or so late, but I class that as being on time by standards of international travel (my Qantas flight to Bangkok was over an hour late). The Thai ground staff were lovely, doing everything for me without my asking at a self check-in kiosk (way better than waiting for ages at Qantas self check-in at Sydney airport when there’s a problem).

International quite different to Domestic

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

My last flight with TG was from Zurich to Bkk in 2008. I was on a business trip and any Co trip over 4 hours I flew business class. Typically we'd fly Singapore Airlines as we were based in Singapore, but this was what they got me. The lass next to me was TG staff. They were overstaffed and she got the short straw for not working that leg. They put her in business class and did not upgrade one of many regular gold-card holding customers. When I asked her why she was not in economy and an upgraded customer in her place she simply asked 'Why would we do that?' In her experience, customers never got upgraded.

That is the attitude you get with Thai Airlines. They were there for their benefit alone. Passengers are just along for the ride. Pay up, shut up, and be grateful for the privilege of being allowed on their ageing and poorly maintained aircraft. 

To be fair they do have some relatives new planes, I was on 787 to London recently and it seemed clean and fresh, but yeah the service is atrocious, I asked for a beer whilst watching a movie in the afternoon to be told that the bar will be open in roughly 6-7 hours, ask again then!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Like the economy this airline has been sliding backwards ever since Covid. High prices, terrible food, patchy service, prehistoric IT.

I'm surprised they aren't lower than 40th

• Agree 2