Nato has to steel itself for Russian strikes on targets across Europe

I expect when they come, the strikes will come thick and fast and accompanied by thousands of drones to defend against local air defences. Welcome to WW3 brought to you any NATO.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's all a bit pointless making lists, as any NATO vs Russia conflict is almost certainly going MAD.

Frankly, I don't think Putin is that insane and IMO it's all sabre rattling by some NATO cold warriors trying to make themselves seem important.

No. to imagine there will never be a conflict because they are both nuclear powers or that if they have a conflict then it necessarily will result in a nuclear war is a false assumption.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, rabas said:

You may like to see this before counting your Russian chickens. Also note Russia is hopelessly behind the West in computers, drones, and AI software to control them.  

Item   -   NATO  -   Russia. 

Total military personnel

Active soldiers 3,358,000   830,900
Reserve forces 1,720,700 250,000
Paramilitary units 738,400 250,000
Air Force - -
Total aircraft 20,633 4,182
Fighters / interceptors 3,398 773
Ground attack aircraft 1,108 744
Transport aircraft 1,506 444
Special aircraft ( recon.)    970 147
Tanker aircraft 615 19
Total helicopters 8,614 1,531
Combat helicopters 1,439 537
Ground combat vehicles - -
Main battle tanks 12,408 12,566 
Armored vehicles 1,004,844 151,641
Self-propelled artillery 4,532 6,575
Tower artillery 6,554 4,336
Self-propelled rocket launchers 3,272 3,887
Naval forces - -
Total military ships 2,151 598
Destroyers 112 15
Frigates 135 11
Corvettes 55 86
Helicopter Carriers 13 0
Aircraft carriers 16 1
Submarines 143 70
Patrol boats 295 59
Minesweepers 151 49

source

The only count that matters is nuclear warheads. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Morch said:

Wasn't it Putin who chose guns over butter and functioning pensions, healthcare system?

He did much to the chagrin of his assembled oligarchs. I have great sympathy for Ukraine all of this would have been better it had never happened and we all try to get along peacefully. But here we are. I don't buy the belief that Putin is the new Hitler and he presents an existential threat to the west. Its abundantly clear now to even the dimmest he would never attack NATO and he is happy to keep his beef as to what he sees as his fraternal brothers which is Ukraine. And it's clear that we won't put boots on the ground nor have sufficient military kit to enable the Ukrainians to finish the job. So to continue to put more petrol on the fire is to prolong the suffering to achieve the same outcome on the end. Another by product of this is Russia has now permanently pivoted and as the largest country in the world with the most natural resources to China and the global south who care not a jot for our moralising. I have mentioned before that the Pentagon's think tank the Rand Corporation snuck out a report early last year outlining various scenarios as to end this war not all putting Ukrainian agency as the primary concern. Its now time to dust this off and begin a process to end the war as unpalatable that is to many. 

https://www.rand.org/pubs/perspectives/PEA2510-1.html

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

This is a very interesting article causing considerable controversy amongst the Ukrainian maximalists for its unvarnished portrayal of life inside the country. Understandably a lot of folks are just tired of war and want it to end. https://t.co/0R9hPNnPjt

It's an column by Masha Gessen....

:coffee1:

1 minute ago, Morch said:

It's an column by Masha Gessen....

:coffee1:

And.... she has been there and spoke at first hand with a variety of sources. A lot of the criticism is from folks outside the country taken umbrage that a Russian speaking journalist should deal in anything other than propaganda. A lot of journalists have forgotten their role is to speak truth to power not be a pr agency for the state department. RIP John Pilger.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Morch said:

Never said anything about Putin being anything like Hitler. Most of them Nazi references are lame, anyway, regardless of what they relate to. That said - Putin and Russia are a threat to Europe. If you don't want to accept that, you'll have to make do with a whole lot of governments, representing a whole lot of people feeling very differently about it.

I don't know what is 'obvious' to you, but I do no it is not 'obvious' to anyone - that would be you co-opting some general faux agreement. And Putin does not need to directly attack NATO head on. A crisis here, a crisis there. Walking that fine line, checking boundaries, exploiting rifts and so on.

Russia might turn out to be China vassal, in the long run. That's still a ways away. I'm sure you had some cunning plan to divert it to a more pro-Western attitude. Maybe this would have involved 'sacrificing' Ukraine or some other piece of appeasement. But in reality, Putin was not going to be anyone's best friend and partner.

Think tanks are a dime a dozen, reports are cheaper.

Well if you won't read the report you will never know. They make a point of saying that US interests are different from Ukraine and that the relief of sanctions can be tools to delivering an uneasy end to hostilities. Currently it is thought that 700k men have fled the country many to join their refugee partners and children who will probably never return that and further mobilisation will cripple what's left of the economy. An election would be helpful as well as a ceasefire and then let's take it from there. Trump is reported he may be minded to continue the war but Europe would have to match the funding dollar for dollar. I'm afraid we're bust and just a bond market strike away from perdition. You picked a good place to sit this out smoke and taxation notwithstanding as did the 100s of thousands of Russians have too.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

You sound positively delighted if that were to happen.

Your spin not mine. If you can't be bothered to read it and it's a long one it basically suggests that each European country should get its own nukes for its own security. Mankind will destroy itself eventually or at least the alphas will and then retire to their own bunkers in New Zealand.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

And.... she has been there and spoke at first hand with a variety of sources. A lot of the criticism is from folks outside the country taken umbrage that a Russian speaking journalist should deal in anything other than propaganda. A lot of journalists have forgotten their role is to speak truth to power not be a pr agency for the state department. RIP John Pilger.

She/he/they/whatever is not so much a reporter as a journalist, or political activist. Not impressed, sorry. Same goes for Pilger, by the way. Same thing. Can cover some things decently, but on others gets into weirdo land.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Your spin not mine. If you can't be bothered to read it and it's a long one it basically suggests that each European country should get its own nukes for its own security. Mankind will destroy itself eventually or at least the alphas will and then retire to their own bunkers in New Zealand.

Well I have to say that looking back on your recent posts my spin as you call it, or as I call it my take on you, is that it stands

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Well if you won't read the report you will never know. They make a point of saying that US interests are different from Ukraine and that the relief of sanctions can be tools to delivering an uneasy end to hostilities. Currently it is thought that 700k men have fled the country many to join their refugee partners and children who will probably never return that and further mobilisation will cripple what's left of the economy. An election would be helpful as well as a ceasefire and then let's take it from there. Trump is reported he may be minded to continue the war but Europe would have to match the funding dollar for dollar. I'm afraid we're bust and just a bond market strike away from perdition. You picked a good place to sit this out smoke and taxation notwithstanding as did the 100s of thousands of Russians have too.

You're assuming, of course. But be that as it may, it's not much of debate point to claim the understanding of a single post requires the reading of a chunky report. Rand is conservative thing tank, and their reports would reflect that. I'm sure there's no shortage of other points of view.

I don't know who's the 'we' you're talking about. More co-opting?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1