Water kettle

BenStark

1.7 liter is very big for a kettle,we bought a smaller one in Thaiwatsadu for around 400 baht.

People are free to ask how much they want,looking around can save you a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, BenStark said:

How can a company justify such a price for a simple water kettle, and who in his right mind would spend that kind of money on it?

Companies/people sell forks/sheets/gadgets online for big money, some people will buy them some won't. Maybe buying expensive items strokes some people's egos.

Edited by bbko
  • Thumbs Up 1

for some reason SMEG is really expensive. they have retro looking fridges that are really nice... but a bit toooo expensive imho 1500 canadian... about 34000bht

just bought a brand new toshiba 4 door 18 Q inverter fridge for 26000bht. could have got for 21000bht at thai watsadu.. point is... smeg is way over priced.  buy a kettle you can heat on your oven... 

smeg.jpg

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My 3 year old water kettle, which I bought from Lazada for 140 baht, just gave up. So as I wanted to have a replacement quickly I did a google for what is available in the local electronics shops/

I notice that most well known electronics brands are around 1000 baht, until I stumbled on this.

It isn't a misprint of the price, as it is available at other stores at the same price. How can a company justify such a price for a simple water kettle, and who in his right mind would spend that kind of money on it?

All it does is heating up water, isn't it?

https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/en/product/กาต้มน้ำ-SMEG-รุ่น-KLF03GOEU-ความจุ-17-ลิตร-สีทอง-60349395?cate=630103

image.png.21d6b1658c9705745d746e85186d40f5.png

You will find high ball priced items on many platforms - often the same seller using many names - as they hope to fill the search page with only their 10x normal price items and get a person to not check further - if using Lazada I always go to side or bottom of page after selecting an item as then you will find many more choices at various prices.

• Agree 2

On 2/4/2024 at 12:20 PM, hotandsticky said:

You are not a brand name person, why waste your time looking at SMEG which is a high end Italian brand.

Get back on Lazada and look for Thailand produced kettle.

If you really want to focus on saving money go boil a saucepan of water.

Who said I'm not a brandname person.

I'll help you a little

On 2/4/2024 at 11:31 AM, BenStark said:

I notice that most well known electronics brands are around 1000 baht, until I stumbled on this.

Edited by stats
off topic and trolling comments removed
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You will find high ball priced items on many platforms - often the same seller using many names - as they hope to fill the search page with only their 10x normal price items and get a person to not check further - if using Lazada I always go to side or bottom of page after selecting an item as then you will find many more choices at various prices.

I think you, as most others on here, missed the point of the OP.

The water kettle I bought for 140 baht lasted 3 years, that is 47 baht a year.

I don't mind to pay more for brandname, as I expect them to last longer. A Sharp is 690 baht everywhere.

image.png.c9e29b2695f894289d209e1cb0a6a423.png

12.900 baht for a water kettle is simply ridiculous

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Seems kinda daft to put that anywhere near an oven.

not really... depends on where you are from. 

Does a stove need an oven?
There is a lot of confusion surrounding the above kitchen appliances as many people often refer to a stove as an oven. An oven is a chamber for cooking without external burners, a stove is a cooking appliance without an oven and a range is typically a combination of both.Aug 11, 2017

in my family we call it an oven and dont bother going into the semantics... like potato... some say potahto... no need to have an issue over such a small detail... but thanks for pointing it out

british english and canadian/american english are quite different and never mind the colloquialisms... 
Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

not really... depends on where you are from. 

Does a stove need an oven?
There is a lot of confusion surrounding the above kitchen appliances as many people often refer to a stove as an oven. An oven is a chamber for cooking without external burners, a stove is a cooking appliance without an oven and a range is typically a combination of both.Aug 11, 2017

in my family we call it an oven and dont bother going into the semantics... like potato... some say potahto... no need to have an issue over such a small detail... but thanks for pointing it out

british english and canadian/american english are quite different and never mind the colloquialisms... 

You did say oven though... not stove.

image.png.cd766a07e6a1a1a1fc78fe37e527683e.png

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I've seen Americans put an electric kettle on the gas stove, jing jing 

I read that about an older Thai lady who put the rice cooker on the gas. 555

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

this...

Aluminum-Kettles-Traditional-Kettle-Pot-3.webp

Just reminded me of an electrician friend of mine in Oz doing some work in a customers kitchen, so leky was turned off, she said said to him Oh I'm sorry I can't make you a cup of he tea, he just stared at her and at her gas stove, and informed her she could use a saucepan. :post-4641-1156694572:

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

I think you, as most others on here, missed the point of the OP.

The water kettle I bought for 140 baht lasted 3 years, that is 47 baht a year.

I don't mind to pay more for brandname, as I expect them to last longer. A Sharp is 690 baht everywhere.

image.png.c9e29b2695f894289d209e1cb0a6a423.png

12.900 baht for a water kettle is simply ridiculous

I've only bought two electric kettles since I've been here (17 years) and both of them were Sharp and both of them were plastic – – the reason being is that although the stainless steel kettles are "double insulated", I always steer clear of them since I got a bit of a "tickle" off one a few years ago!

Never had a problem with anything made by Sharp.

• Like 1