British man arrested in Bangkok for buying sex from underage girls in Hua Hin

webfact

15 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

How did they track this guy and find him? What kind of evidence is there about this alleged act? How can they positively ID this guy?

?

How bout she went to his hotel and they have is ID and video. Duh...

• Confused 1

part of that investigation police say they found evidence that Mr James purchased sexual services from minors working at the bar.

Sounds like he committed multiple offenses.

lock him up.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I am not sure about deliberate setups

In my old village, there was a 13 year old who used to go around sleeping with guys.

Her dad would show up at the guy's house the next day to extort 30,000 baht.

He was clearly just pimping her out.

17 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

On what planet does that make sense?

So, if an adult has sex with a minor, which is statutory rape, the minor should be held liable if they lied about their age?

The point is they aren't old enough to know what they are doing. That's why the law protects them.

nonsense ....   an 18yr old know if they are 18 or 17 ....    it's that simple.   But if they are 17yrs old and become involved in the sex trafficking, then the bar owner or hire authority in liable.   It depends if ... the girl is 18yrs .... and she knows what she's getting into ....    That's it ...    she is 18yrs old and understands the job she has undertaken ....   otherwise others should go to jail. 

don't make it complicated.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, proton said:

By their ID cards, most going with a minor actually seek them out rather than make a mistake, of course his apologists will claim ID cards can be faked etc

Proton if he is new to the sceen, a tourist, he wouldn't even know Thai girls have ID cards or have to be 20 years old.

If he actually sought young girls out then he deserves what he gets.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

nonsense ....   an 18yr old know if they are 18 or 17 ....    it's that simple.   But if they are 17yrs old and become involved in the sex trafficking, then the bar owner or hire authority in liable.   It depends if ... the girl is 18yrs .... and she knows what she's getting into ....    That's it ...    she is 18yrs old and understands the job she has undertaken ....   otherwise others should go to jail. 

don't make it complicated.  

It's you who is complicating things.

The guy broke the law. And if they were under 18, it's not a complicated law to understand. 

Maybe they lied about their age. Maybe they were close to 18. In any case, he saw young pussy and he did it. He must have known he was taking a risk.

You are doing a lot of mental gymnastics here, lol. Why? A bit sus. 🤨 

Didn't the article say they were under 18 anyway?

And even at that, I think this "profession" is for 20 and older, right?

Pretty sure Thailand's human trafficking laws protect them up to 20 regarding prostitution.  I mean, they aren't old enough to drink, never mind sell their body.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Proton if he is new to the sceen, a tourist, he wouldn't even know Thai girls have ID cards or have to be 20 years old.

If he actually sought young girls out then he deserves what he gets.

Every country has ID cards or drivers licence. That is how you open a bank account.

Why do you think tourists are all idiots?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, HauptmannUK said:

Your post doesn't make sense. And you don't seem too sure on the law yourself. He would need to know the Thai law to know he was breaking it.  If I was to go into a bar and barfine a girl (bar employee) out of the bar I would expect her to be 'legal' - however old she looked (within reason, obviously).  Its the bar's responsibility to vet their employees, not the customers...

So, if someone sold you cocaine in a bar,  you'd expect cocaine to be legal in Thailand?

It's you who doesnt make sense, buddy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Every country has ID cards or drivers licence. That is how you open a bank account.

Why do you think tourists are all idiots?

Many countries do not have ID cards and many people don't drive.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Many countries do not have ID cards and many people don't drive.

You are from the UK, right?

You are aware that people need to show ID to get into a nightclub, right? Or to buy cigarettes or alcohol. 

Why are you playing stupid?

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, uttradit said:

How do they open a bank account? Wave a magic wand?

Surprisingly in the UK we don't have ID cards and many people don't drive.  Those individuals use things like utility bills, electoral register etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Surprisingly in the UK we don't have ID cards and many people don't drive.  Those individuals use things like utility bills, electoral register etc.

Thailand has ID cards. Thailand has driver licenses and passports.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

You are from the UK, right?

You are aware that people need to show ID to get into a nightclub, right? Or to buy cigarettes or alcohol. 

Why are you playing stupid?

In the UK we DO NOT have ID cards. And many people (especially young people) do not have a driving licence. If they look young they MAY be asked for some proof of age - often a college or university ID card.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

In the UK we DO NOT have ID cards. And many people (especially young people) do not have a driving licence. If they look young they MAY be asked for some proof of age - often a college or university ID card.

So the UK does have ID cards.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

Not even legal for an under 20 to be in a bar, not very 'ethical' of the guy, although i'm sure some on here will have sympathy for him

Actually I think i misunderstood the article. I thought the police set up a sting with underagw girls offering sex.

54 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

In my old village, there was a 13 year old who used to go around sleeping with guys.

Her dad would show up at the guy's house the next day to extort 30,000 baht.

He was clearly just pimping her out.

Her father was making an effort to redefine the word lowlife, and he did a pretty damn good job of that. 

Somebody should give that so called man a beat down. 

• Thanks 1