Personal Accident Insurance

As my bike is classed as 'too old' it is almost impossible to get 1st Class insurance for it and even when I could, the accident insurance covering personal injury wasn't that high.

I believe its possible to get stand alone accident insurance that covers using a bike - does anyone have any recommendations?

I have Axa personal accident insurance, 5k premium for 200k medical cover, motorcycle use covered. Even covered a friend for rabies injections after a dog bite.

Roojai has motorbike insurance where you can raise the cover of accident medical expenses to something like 200k

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have Axa personal accident insurance, 5k premium for 200k medical cover, motorcycle use covered. Even covered a friend for rabies injections after a dog bite.

Roojai has motorbike insurance where you can raise the cover of accident medical expenses to something like 200k

Thanks, do you know if the Axa cover can be increased for a higher premium?

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes, can double it for double the premium

Cheers, that would be better, I can't see 200k going far in terms of hospital bills. 400k probably won't go far either but its better.

Both a far cry from my travel insurance that gives me up to £15 million (GBP) in emergency treatment - total premium £144.  Sadly that will not be valid after I make the move to Thailand later this year.

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Cheers, that would be better, I can't see 200k going far in terms of hospital bills. 400k probably won't go far either but its better.

10kbht got me repaired for 5 broken ribs, broken clavicle, collapsed lung, various cuts and bruises, and now a month of physiotherapy.

Still got 20kbht left in credit from my government minimum m/c insurance.

I was wearing a decent helmet though.

Better off spending the money on helmet, gloves and protective clothing IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Both a far cry from my travel insurance that gives me up to £15 million (GBP) in emergency treatment - total premium £144.  Sadly that will not be valid after I make the move to Thailand later this year.

Travel insurance is great value unlike health insurance, my last travel insurance was for 18 months, condition of being in UK previous 6 months

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

10kbht got me repaired for 5 broken ribs, broken clavicle, collapsed lung, various cuts and bruises, and now a month of physiotherapy.

Still got 20kbht left in credit from my government minimum m/c insurance.

I was wearing a decent helmet though.

Better off spending the money on helmet, gloves and protective clothing IMHO.

Can't agree with that.  I've been riding more years than I care to admit (20 in Thailand) and never had an accident on a bike that I've been in control of. I ride in Thailand as I did in the UK - except in Thailand I use 3 pairs of eyes instead of the 2 I used in the UK but no matter what care you take or how defensively you ride, there is always a chance of an accident.

I have however, been knocked off the back of a motorbike taxi in Bangkok that eventually cost me 200k baht in hospital fees - and that was almost 13 years ago. Being unconscious and bleeding, I wasn't in a position to argue about which hospital I was taken to.

I of course have a good quality helmet and an armoured jacket but even so, bikers remain very vulnerable if they are hit by a car or truck - protective clothing or not.  If I can find it (doubtful), I'd like to try and find insurance that will pay for repatriation if I am seriously injured.

Almost every car/motorbike insurer let you bend the insurance to your needs.
I have Viriyah for my car insurance and I adjusted the hospital claim from the standard 200K baht to 500K baht.
The difference in price is worth the hassle when it comes to an accident.

I have also a PA policy with MTL and I am glad I took it almost 10 years ago.
Had a few accidents in all these years (not car/motorbike accidents but dog attacks and house accidents) and the footed the bill without discussion.

4 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I have also a PA policy with MTL and I am glad I took it almost 10 years ago.
Had a few accidents in all these years (not car/motorbike accidents but dog attacks and house accidents) and the footed the bill without discussion.

Interesting - did then not increase your premiums following those claims?  My house (Thai) was broken into a couple of years back - my insurance had been 7000 per year but at the renewal following the break-in the premium increased it to 21,000.  I'd been insured for 8 years with the same company (MSIG) and never had a previous claim.

I dumped it and spent the money on extra security.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Interesting - did then not increase your premiums following those claims?  My house (Thai) was broken into a couple of years back - my insurance had been 7000 per year but at the renewal following the break-in the premium increased it to 21,000.  I'd been insured for 8 years with the same company (MSIG) and never had a previous claim.

I dumped it and spent the money on extra security.

If you are talking about my PA insurance, the premium increase was only the Age increase as listed in their insurance.

No other increase.

I have no burglar insurance on the house I rent, but I have a fire insurance and an Insurance for my belongings by flood or a fire.

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

If you are talking about my PA insurance, the premium increase was only the Age increase as listed in their insurance.

No other increase.

Yes, I just wondered if they'd loaded your policy as a result of the claims you mentioned - like they did with my house insurance.