You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Dead or alive ?

madox66

On 2/6/2024 at 8:11 AM, madox66 said:

Would it be easier and cheaper to give my condo to my wife during my lifetime instead of waiting for my death knowing that anyway she’s the only heiress on my will.

Would we need a lawyer ?  Are there any fees, taxes…?

Thank you.

You don't need a lawyer, you can transfer the title deed at the local land office.

There will be sales tax, stamps and transfer fee; there is a calculator for all that in the link HERE.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BenStark said:

Perfect description of the relationship and trust between you and your wife.

I assume you sleep in different bedrooms, with the armoured door of yours locked, and still pay her a monthly salary.

Couldn't have said it better.

What sad lives some people have that they live with that mentality.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

You don't need a lawyer, you can transfer the title deed at the local land office.

There will be sales tax, stamps and transfer fee; there is a calculator for all that in the link HERE.

Thank you

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 4:52 PM, BigStar said:

In theory, she could keep it a secret from her family to avoid that problem.

But Thais seem unable to do that, unless she's a rare exception.

The minute after he dies she is gong to get hounded by family bbecause they will think she is rich and can pay all their luigi's as wella s put alltheir kids through school

All the sob stories will start.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, save the frogs said:

yes, it's true. we cant fully trust our spouses or anyone.

i was just ranting. 

But, you still can be generous and give them things that will make them feel better and be secure... you just don't have to give them everything... 

• Agree 1

On 2/6/2024 at 2:39 PM, ezzra said:

Never, wait until your demise, because once you transfer the property to her name you HAVE NOTHING, and knowing

Thai people and the influence their families put on them once it is out that this is the situation now, you'll be sorry you did...

It must be so satisfying to be in a long term loving and trustful relationship. I feel sorry for you, really do.

'Our' house is in her name, and after 13 years together she's not shown any inclination to throw me off the balcony .... mind you the balcony is only one floor up.😀

But I decided to not go with the complexity of company ownership or leasing the land, as I want her to have the house after I've gone.  We also have a will in case she goes before me ... unlikely as she's quite a bit younger than me.

I trust her completely, and she's never given me any doubts. 

However, the post about family pressure is a highly valid one.  She is regularly asked to give financial support to various family members, and as she's the youngest in the family, there's an expectation she should help - simply because her sisters are entitled by being born before her.

She's smart and tough enough to either just say no, or structure it as a loan, with no further support given until it's paid off.  To my surprise they eventually do pay her back, but not without mounting resentment and friction.

My wife is no longer on speaking terms with her older siblings.  (The nieces and nephews are very different and more independent, but the older generation clings to the idea of 'gert gorn' entitlement).  

I've given up trying to explain the destruction of value by providing interest free loans, and the amounts are not huge, but the family's perception of her 'wealth' has created many issues.

I should add that she project managed the design and build of the house, so it's right that it's at least partially hers ..... and she's super hot - so I tend to do as she asks anyway 🙂.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:28 AM, BenStark said:

Maybe for reasons explained by others here, because even if there is a will, it cost money for the probate and the transfer costs of the condo at that time.

This is of concern for me. The GREEDY lawyers, whilst offering a Thai Will at just 5,000 Baht, will charge 100's of thousands to do probate. Better to to arrange transfer of assets while alive rather than leaving hassle to loved ones and profit to lawyer scum. The only problem is the uncertainty of one's demise - sudden or through long term illness. Probably best to have that will in any case.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:11 AM, madox66 said:

Would it be easier and cheaper to give my condo to my wife during my lifetime instead of waiting for my death knowing that anyway she’s the only heiress on my will.

Would we need a lawyer ?  Are there any fees, taxes…?

Thank you.

Give it to her now,you will be dead by the morning beware.

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cooking, cleaning, sex and a bit of laundry.

sex is a big one.

cooking can be outsourced cheaply nowadays.

laundromats are cheap too and all you have to do is stick it in the machine.

1 out of 3 ain't bad.

depends how much you pay.

haha, just (half) joking.

I know some couples love each other.