Bristol backpacker in bar brawl bloodbath: Brit stabbed in neck in Koh Pha Ngan

webfact

15 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

3 million baht bribe ????

Where would a backpacker get 3 million baht.

Sounds like total BS.

Where does it sat the backpacker had 3 million Baht???????

100,000 Euro

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Where did you read he was 'some drunken British pub knob'? What I read was he was in the pub and someone tried it on with his girlfriend, the Brit protested (as would you, I'm sure, sober or not) and was attacked. So you either 1 - made up what you wrote from your own imagination and wrote it as fact, or 2 -  you were unable to understand what you read, or 3 - you have a different news source. I'd go with 1, probably 2, and not 3.

If you read it then it must be true. Backpackers never lie.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The Daily Mail UK article gives a bit more detail and in less juvenile language.

Horrifying moment British backpacker almost bleeds to death after he's attacked and stabbed in the neck in Thai bar 'after telling another tourist to leave his female friend alone' | Daily Mail Online

It reminds me of the time, many years ago (early 1980s on my first visit to Phuket), when I was sitting at a beach bar and a drunk German next to me smashed a beer bottle on the bar and started threatening someone with it - again over a girl.  Fortunately nobody was injured but it was a scary incident.  The police were called and my husband and I beat a hasty retreat, having been warned not to get involved with the local cops. 

Edited by IslandLover

15 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

The Daily Mail UK article gives a bit more detail and in less juvenile language.

Horrifying moment British backpacker almost bleeds to death after he's attacked and stabbed in the neck in Thai bar 'after telling another tourist to leave his female friend alone' | Daily Mail Online

It reminds me of the time, many years ago (early 1980s on my first visit to Phuket), when I was sitting in a beach bar and a drunk German sitting next to me smashed a beer bottle on the bar and started threatening someone with it - again over a girl.  Fortunately nobody was injured but it was a scary incident.  The police were called and my husband and I beat a hasty retreat, having been warned not to get involved with the local cops.  We had no wish to be interviewed as potential witnesses.

Israelis can fight. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It was then, as alleged by Mooney, that Israeli national Eliran Alias targeted his female friend with unwelcome advances.

Why am I suddenly hearing voices talking about an unfinished business?

And why do the offender's fellow people always keep wondering about this??

If he's got 100,000 Euros to throw at him so easily, he's got 200,000 Euros. Ask for 300,000 and see what the counter offer is. If I were him, I'd take 200,000 Euros and paid medical expenses and you'd never have to hear from me again. Not like any justice is ever going to happen....

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Is this not just another case of rampant alliteration on TV?

Here is what I am talking about: Bristol backpacker in bar brawl bloodbath: Brit 

Shouldn't there be some rule against posting such blatant alliteration on this forum?

Why?

48 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

And Germans can't?

I thought the injured party was from Bristol, and the attacker was an Israeli.

Where do the Germans come into it? Apart from the fact they started WW2 (John Cleese 😀)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Fortunately, providence intervened in the form of a vacationing Canadian doctor, who administered vital first aid, pulling Mooney from the brink of death.

The Israeli guy ought to be giving this Canadian doctor a chunk of change too, saved him from a murder charge.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, impulse said:

200,000 baht, indeed.

According to the article, the Brit's part of the Israeli's settlement was over 3 million baht to make him go away.  No telling what the popo got out of the deal, but I suspect it was more than 3 million.

BTW, I'd check the veracity of the Israeli's ID.  With a name like "Alias", I wonder if he just got an ID off the shelf and didn't pay extra to give himself a real name.

Tried to look up the name on Israeli media.

I think spelling/pronunciation is more like Elias, which is not an uncommon name surname.

Found a couple, one an aspiring new singer (from some reality show), the other a criminal with a history of rape/abuse/violence toward women plus other stuff. Last report on the latter is from 2009. Could be he served time in prison, then moved here - there were stories about such in the past.

Also, having this sort of cash on hand is suspicious, and knowing how to work the payment angle may indicate some experience in this department.

Edited by Morch
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1