Bristol backpacker in bar brawl bloodbath: Brit stabbed in neck in Koh Pha Ngan

webfact

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Whatever you want to call it, it is compensation but, even if it called "hush money" (your words, no one else's), it would be money obtained legally and publicly and its source would be established easily.  Customs are only concerned that large amounts of cash have been obtained legally, that is not part of a money laundering exercise and that any necessary tax has been paid.  But he probably would not be carrying that amount of cash, anyway.

Obtained 'legally' how? Is there actually a law in Thailand which allows suspects to pay victims in order to avoid facing charges? I think there's a practice, but that's not the same thing. The source of the money is not 'established' - and if the perpetrator had a criminal past, the source would be suspect.

From your post above:

Whatever you want to call it, it is compensation but, even if it called "hush money" (your words, no one else's),

There's this:

"However, I kept saying that I don't care about money, I just wanted him in jail. When I left the police station to go to the hospital, one of his friends attempted to speak with me. He told my friend at the police station that he would offer me 100,000 Euros if I dropped the case, but I said no I wanted the man in jail.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-backpacker-almost-bleeds-death-32058642

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Morch said:

"However, I kept saying that I don't care about money, I just wanted him in jail. When I left the police station to go to the hospital, one of his friends attempted to speak with me. He told my friend at the police station that he would offer me 100,000 Euros if I dropped the case, but I said no I wanted the man in jail.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-backpacker-almost-bleeds-death-32058642

So the discussion is academic if that's what you're now going with as to what happened. 

Paying compensation in return for not being prosecuted is not illegal.  If he did receive bona fide compensation with the agreement of all parties, and it can be evidenced as such, it does not matter how the person paying the compensation obtained the money.  That would be a different investigation between the police and whoever paid if the RTP suspected that something illegal had happened in the procurement of that money.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So the discussion is academic if that's what you're now going with as to what happened. 

Paying compensation in return for not being prosecuted is not illegal.  If he did receive bona fide compensation with the agreement of all parties and it can be evidenced as such it does not matter how the person paying the compensation obtained the money.

Well, if you say so...:coffee1:

• Confused 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:50 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Is this not just another case of rampant alliteration on TV?

Here is what I am talking about: Bristol backpacker in bar brawl bloodbath: Brit 

Shouldn't there be some rule against posting such blatant alliteration on this forum?

You forgot to include the Bamboo Bar

• Confused 1

On 2/7/2024 at 7:26 PM, IslandLover said:

There is an Instagram account in the name of "Eliran Alias" which is set to "private".  It could be him

It's him for sure. His name is a misspelled translation of Elias in Hebrew so unlikely two people by the same name would make that mistake. And yes it does seem like he's had a dozen assault, stalking, and drug charges in Israel and spent time in jail. Thailand really should be a bit more viligant on letting people with an extensive criminal record in the country - this kind of guy doesn't belong anywhere other than jail or a mental institution - zero control when he gets angry.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 11:21 PM, Nordic summer said:

It also says he was offered 100 000 Euro to drop the case. 

Wonder if the local police were offered something as well.

Strangely this is often the case in Thailand - in some cases even the courts frown on people that have refused to agree to an 'out of court settlement'. The fact that they may have committed a serious offence doesn't seem to be considered.  Cash can settle anything!

This Israeli is dangerous and needs to learn how to control his drinking/behaviour. A spell behind bars in a Thai jail might just help him with that.

It shouldn't be 100,000 Euros instead of jail, it should be 100,000 + jail.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

Further information on this incident is reported in Vice News.

"Two days after the incident, at Koh Samui District Court, 43-year-old Israeli national Eliran Alias, was found guilty of assault and also confessed to his crime. But Alias was handed a one year suspended prison sentence and a 2,500 Thai baht ($70) fine. Despite the court ordering his deportation, sources told VICE News that Alias is still holidaying on Koh Samui, the island next to Kho Pha Ngan."

I find this totally unacceptable.  This man has (allegedly) a criminal record back in Israel for assault and violence against women.  The girlfriend of the victim had a lucky escape.

A Brit Nearly Died Defending a Woman in a Thai Bar. His Attacker Was Fined $70 (vice.com)

• Thanks 1