Bristol backpacker in bar brawl bloodbath: Brit stabbed in neck in Koh Pha Ngan

webfact

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

AN is not allowed to change anything from a news source so we have to accept the garbage that Thaiger tosses at us on a daily basis. Some of their writers try to demonstrate they are skilled journalists by indulging in flamboyant language. but it just makes them look like kids playing a game.

Exactly like the senile script from GG.!!.

56 minutes ago, Morch said:
1 hour ago, uttradit said:

You normally have to declare cash over $10k. They don't want bank robbers and druggies taking large sums. Just say you were a crime victim, here's the paperwork. I got paid out. No problem.

I doubt it's anything as straightforward.

It is as long as Customs officers are happy with the explanation.  There are no restrictions on carrying of legal cash into the UK.

18 minutes ago, Antti said:

100k euros is a decent payout but how do you make sure you get the money? Jews are known to be very stingy. How do you know he will hold his end of the bargain?

Although that is just a racial stereotype and peoples generosity  with money isn't defined by their Religious  beliefs 

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Is there any country in which money is not a requirement for bail?

Yes, unknown concept in most European countries. You can be released to wait court proceedings but it is solely a decision made by police and/or prosecutor.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Morch said:

Could be many things. Maybe he's got Israeli friends around who can fork/loan. If they took his passport then dealing with banks here could be a problem, so goes back to source of funds maybe not 100% legit.

He could also have friends from other Countries ?

28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If it is cash he declares it as he has evidence of its source.  Easy.

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Declare it as the compensation for injuries because that's what it would be and there is proof.

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is as long as Customs officers are happy with the explanation.  There are no restrictions on carrying of legal cash into the UK.

It was in reference for this case (and similar ones) in which the details are published. It's obviously hush-money, and I don't think he gets a receipt to show. It's kinda dodgy. I don't know if they actually go after such things, I guess they can make trouble if they want to.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

He could also have friends from other Countries ?

Could, but Israelis often stick together. Especially of his sort.

Again, it's not clear if he's a tourist or a longer-term stayer.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Morch said:

Could, but Israelis often stick together. Especially of his sort.

Again, it's not clear if he's a tourist or a longer-term stayer.

From the report from the girl, seems he's been there a while , from her  FB account 

"We seek justice for the undeserved harm inflicted on the victim, and there is a genuine concern for our safety, given Eliran Alias’s previous convictions and past dangerous acts we fear for our safety and the safety of others."

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

From the report from the girl, seems he's been there a while , from her  FB account 

"We seek justice for the undeserved harm inflicted on the victim, and there is a genuine concern for our safety, given Eliran Alias’s previous convictions and past dangerous acts we fear for our safety and the safety of others."

I posted earlier, that there was a person with the same name, having serious criminal past including rape and violence toward women. I don't know if it's indeed the same guy - or when he got to Thailand. Also not sure what the girl's comment refer to (whether to previous convictions in Thailand or not, for instance).

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, impulse said:

200,000 baht, indeed.

According to the article, the Brit's part of the Israeli's settlement was over 3 million baht to make him go away.  No telling what the popo got out of the deal, but I suspect it was more than 3 million.

BTW, I'd check the veracity of the Israeli's ID.  With a name like "Alias", I wonder if he just got an ID off the shelf and didn't pay extra to give himself a real name.

It may have been a translation error, and perhaps the Israeli's name was Elias and not Alias.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

The fact that the victim is British is totally irrelevant, the fact that the attacker is Israeli is very relevant. (Israeli national Eliran Alias targeted his female friend with unwelcome advances.)
Israeli (in general) are bad tourists with very bad reputation, not loved by anyone! (Yes, their money is welcome of course...)

Since when did you speak on behalf of "everyone" ?

Some people behave badly and its not Country specific and "bad" Israelis are just as prolific as any other Country's people 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

It's a misspelling of Elias - which is a common name for Israelis of Spanish/Portuguese descent. Unfortunately in Israel the legal system is extremely lenient towards violent crimes, so psychos like this walk free even when they commit heinous acts of violence. Stabbings and worse offences are common.

A lot of these goons are also involved in mafia/criminal organizations, which would explain how this human trash had that much money to settle the case. Sadly it seems like he'll walk to commit another atrocity in the future - until one day he actually murders someone, which he will, and money won't be able to solve it.

Although a couple of Burmese kids may be able to solve his problem ?

8 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

It's a misspelling of Elias

I suspect it is.  I was just tickled with the idea of an ID with the name "Alias". 

Kind of like I feel sorry for anyone actually named John Doe.  Because you know they take a lot of scrutiny each time they pull out that ID.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Morch said:

It was in reference for this case (and similar ones) in which the details are published. It's obviously hush-money, and I don't think he gets a receipt to show. It's kinda dodgy. I don't know if they actually go after such things, I guess they can make trouble if they want to.

Whatever you want to call it, it is compensation but, even if it called "hush money" (your words, no one else's), it would be money obtained legally and publicly and its source would be established easily.  Customs are only concerned that large amounts of cash have been obtained legally, that is not part of a money laundering exercise and that any necessary tax has been paid.  But he probably would not be carrying that amount of cash, anyway.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, uttradit said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You think that you're entitled to free entertainment at the expense of others?

No ads on mine

Mine neither!  Must be something wrong with my laptop.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

13 hours ago, sambum said:

I thought the injured party was from Bristol, and the attacker was an Israeli.

Where do the Germans come into it? Apart from the fact they started WW2 (John Cleese 😀)

Sambum, I was replying to another poster who commented on my anecdote of witnessing a similar incident in a bar in Phuket in the early 1980s.  It involved a drunken German tourist in a fight over a girl, and nobody got harmed fortunately.  I'm well aware this latest incident involved a Briton and an Israeli and that the Israeli was the aggressor.  Germans wielding broken beer bottles can be just as dangerous as Israelis, or any other nationality for that matter.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Morch said:

Tried to look up the name on Israeli media.

I think spelling/pronunciation is more like Elias, which is not an uncommon name surname.

Found a couple, one an aspiring new singer (from some reality show), the other a criminal with a history of rape/abuse/violence toward women plus other stuff. Last report on the latter is from 2009. Could be he served time in prison, then moved here - there were stories about such in the past.

Also, having this sort of cash on hand is suspicious, and knowing how to work the payment angle may indicate some experience in this department.

There is an Instagram account in the name of "Eliran Alias" which is set to "private".  It could be him judging by the profile picture (i.e. right age group).  If 100,000 Euros has been offered to make the case go away, he's likely some rich kid with rich parents, like those who raped that girl in Cyprus a while back. 

EDIT - Looking at his picture on the Reddit thread posted earlier, the Instagram account I found is his.  It also says he tried to set fire to his girlfriend in Israel 15 years ago.  Nice guy - not!  It also says he has been fined THB 2500 by the Samui Court after confessing to the crime.

Edited by IslandLover
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JulesMad said:

The fact that the victim is British is totally irrelevant, the fact that the attacker is Israeli is very relevant. (Israeli national Eliran Alias targeted his female friend with unwelcome advances.)
Israeli (in general) are bad tourists with very bad reputation, not loved by anyone! (Yes, their money is welcome of course...)

Some are, some are not. Blanket statements are often nonsense. Like this one.