GOP delivers death blow to bipartisan border bill

Social Media

12 hours ago, heybruce said:

Posted with genuine echo-chamber ignorance.  International law, which the US is following, allows legitimate asylum seekers to cross the border.

"The right to apply for asylum is enshrined in U.S. and international law. The qualifications resemble those for refugee status, but asylum seekers follow a different process. "  https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/seeking-protection-how-us-asylum-process-works

Really? I was under the impression that asylum seekers should stop in the first safe country they enter. In most cases, that would be Mexico, wouldnt it?

Not to mention the bill AFAIK did not have any provisions at all for detaining and housing asylum seekers. The current facilities are obviously inadequate.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Really? I was under the impression that asylum seekers should stop in the first safe country they enter. In most cases, that would be Mexico, wouldnt it?

Not to mention the bill AFAIK did not have any provisions at all for detaining and housing asylum seekers. The current facilities are obviously inadequate.  

Do you think the asylum seekers felt safe in Mexico?  I have my doubts.

The bill wasn't perfect, but it would have improved on the current situation.  Holding out for perfect is an excuse to do nothing.  Trump wants nothing done.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Do you think the asylum seekers felt safe in Mexico?  I have my doubts.

The bill wasn't perfect, but it would have improved on the current situation.  Holding out for perfect is an excuse to do nothing.  Trump wants nothing done.

It doesn't matter if they felt "safe" or not. Mexico is a large step up for them and a perfectly viable safe country. Certainly safer than where they are coming from supposedly. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, heybruce said:

"In a new report, the Washington-based organization Human Rights First has registered 6,356 violent attacks against migrants in Mexico since January. These include rape, kidnapping, extortion, human trafficking and other assaults against migrants who were deported to Mexico or people who were prevented from seeking asylum at the U.S. border under Title 42, a health ordinance implemented during the coronavirus pandemic."  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/-live-fear-6000-migrants-mexico-violently-attacked-rcna1783

In another report, 1.6 million American expats call Mexico home;

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/12/americans-relocating-mexico-city-better-life.html

Must be a pretty terrible place...

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/12/americans-relocating-mexico-city-better-life.html

If you have a moderate amount of income, Mexico is okay. If you are poor, it's very bad, due to the lack of social services.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Four times the murder rate of the US, and that's just assuming that Mexico properly counts the number of murders.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

I'm sure those expats don't live in places with high murder rates.  Are you sure the migrants have that luxury?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Because both parties can't agree even within the parties on how to deal with asylum seekers, the system is broken.

Of course, MAGA Republicans can't provide any solutions, from fear of alienating their base.

Technically MAGA Republicans could try to offer a solution, but choose not to.  What bill did they offer as an alternative to the one they shot down?

They much prefer to keep the border as chaotic as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Four times the murder rate of the US, and that's just assuming that Mexico properly counts the number of murders.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

I'm sure those expats don't live in places with high murder rates.  Are you sure the migrants have that luxury?

I know where the migrants live in Tijuana. I wouldn't go there at night, it's no man's land. Daytime is not much fun, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Because both parties can't agree even within the parties on how to deal with asylum seekers, the system is broken.

Of course, MAGA Republicans can't provide any solutions, from fear of alienating their base.

More like not giving Biden a win, and letting him swim in a stew of his own creation.

After the Donald wins they will finish the wall, sack the federal agents that cut the wire to let illegals through ( I hope ), and make a new deal with Mexico to keep them there.

All good.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The Republicans have a chaotic border policy. They complain, but do nothing.

Every republican attempt to close the border and restore order to a legal immigration policy has been thwarted by joe and the newly impeached mayorkas... how does this relate to "the republicans have a chaotic border policy"?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Every republican attempt to close the border and restore order to a legal immigration policy has been thwarted by joe and the newly impeached mayorkas... how does this relate to "the republicans have a chaotic border policy"?

Nonsence. They are not allowed to close the border and restore immigration policy by order of their Dear Leader. Isn't that clear and plain to see for the regular people. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They are not doing nothing. IMO they are letting Biden look like an incompetent loser.

Quite the contrary judging the Maga lost in NY special election. Thanks Trump. Too much losing. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

What Republican attempts are you referring to?  What bills have they proposed?

12 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

There IS a process for doing something about the border. It starts with the Housing drafting a bill and passing it.

That's the part the Republicans won't do.

A child could see that the border is only an election issue for the Republicans.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

There IS a process for doing something about the border. It starts with the Housing drafting a bill and passing it.

That's the part the Republicans won't do.

A child could see that the border is only an election issue for the Republicans.

Bullpucky... there are laws already on the books... just enforce them... which joe and mayorkas refuse to do... answer me this... why is a new law required?