Khon Kaen buffet fines diner 9000 baht for uneaten food

webfact

These BBQ Buffets are popular here in Phuket and the ones I have been in have a sign some where about a charge for un eaten food, quite right as well, 

Over a 1000 baht seems expensive, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

These BBQ Buffets are popular here in Phuket and the ones I have been in have a sign some where about a charge for un eaten food, quite right as well, 

Did you miss this part in the OP?

"Staff members confirmed the orders and reiterated the restaurant’s policy on food wastage, which includes a fine of 300 baht per 100 grammes for excessive leftovers, with the option to take the excess food home."

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't see why it's described as a "buffet". Every buffet I've ever been in you helped yourself and only got one plate, so the amount of wastage would be minimal.

yes,  agree that's the normal,  but I've seen folks fill a plate and take it to their table,  go back and get another plate full of food and take it back to their table, then go get soup, take it back .... etc ...   

so they have their buffet meal and when their group sits down they don't have to go back again.     just saying ...  

I eat at Sizzlers buffet weekly and I just get one plate then eat it then get another and so on .... 

Edited by steven100
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A buffet restaurant in Khon Kaen made headlines after a customer was faced with a hefty fine of 9,100 baht for leaving an excessive amount of uneaten food. However, the situation was amicably resolved, resulting in satisfaction on both sides.

Oshinei Khon Kaen, a Japanese buffet restaurant in Khon Kaen, took to Facebook to recount an incident where a group of customers ordered more food than they could consume. The four diners had taken advantage of a come four, pay for three promotion, priced at 1,150 baht per person.

It was their first visit to the restaurant, and perhaps driven by hunger, they ordered a significant quantity of food through the restaurant’s automated system. Staff members confirmed the orders and reiterated the restaurant’s policy on food wastage, which includes a fine of 300 baht per 100 grammes for excessive leftovers, with the option to take the excess food home.

by Samantha Rose 

Photo courtesy of Sanook

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

typical...

3 hours ago, petermik said:

Pigs at the trough....disgusting :crying:

A Thai friend used to take me to an "all you can eat style buffet" place for a set price.

His co-worker friend would sometimes come along, he was 6ft and skinny as a rake buy boy could he eat.

Many places apparently got to know him and would double his set-price.

It was in fact so embarrassing I stopped going, one place the girl came out with a tray of freshly fried chicken legs, he picked up the whole tray and took it to the table.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not when it is for 20 persons. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

300 baht per 100 grammes for excessive leftovers

That's expensive, it's 3000 Baht per KG.

The 8000 Baht 'fine' suggests they over ordered and had 2.6 KG of uneaten food which is a massive amount of food.

What are we talking here? Chicken feet soup or steak & lobster?

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't see why it's described as a "buffet". Every buffet I've ever been in you helped yourself and only got one plate, so the amount of wastage would be minimal.

These are most likely online ordering with a qr code. You sit at your table and order with phone. Much like Shabu  platinum

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes,  agree that's the normal,  but I've seen folks fill a plate and take it to their table,  go back and get another plate full of food and take it back to their table, then go get soup, take it back .... etc ...   

so they have their buffet meal and when their group sits down they don't have to go back again.     just saying ...  

I eat at Sizzlers buffet weekly and I just get one plate then eat it then get another and so on .... 

Sizzlers gone bankrupt in Oz but talking about buffets you just get one plate, but you allowed to go back for some more food.

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Sizzlers gone bankrupt in Oz but talking about buffets you just get one plate, but you allowed to go back for some more food.

of coarse ...  you can sit for 1 hour and just relax and eat ...that's what I like ....

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, ukrules said:

That's expensive, it's 3000 Baht per KG.

The 8000 Baht 'fine' suggests they over ordered and had 2.6 KG of uneaten food which is a massive amount of food.

What are we talking here? Chicken feet soup or steak & lobster?

why ?   it's not expensive ....  why load your plate / table up just to get thrown out.

I agree with charging for un-eaten food ....  if you don't want it don't order it ...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One of the things about this style place if it's a place where you order off an app is that you forget what you ordered, and if you get 15+ people ordering things can get out of hand where you forget who ordered what. The food doesn't come all at once, it comes as it's prepared and you cook at table.

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

One of the things about this style place if it's a place where you order off an app is that you forget what you ordered, and if you get 15+ people ordering things can get out of hand where you forget who ordered what. The food doesn't come all at once, it comes as it's prepared and you cook at table.

That all sounds too complicated .....  I just want my plate of food ..

image.png.a09d4c6f84f18bff1fb9e084fd0f9163.png

• Agree 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:25 PM, scubascuba3 said:

All you can eat places are really bad for you, most will eat way too much

Sure, it looks overwhelming, isn't cheap, but I can choose what I want to try in my not too spicey shabushi. I can eat as much as I want to eat. No high loaded plates here, but an infinite amount of small plates and cups coming and going quite quickly. Apart from the a priori timelimit set, it's fun. Preferably on a saturday morning, just before noon: an entire assembly line of food for your family only ;-)

best-japanese-dining.jpg

9 minutes ago, jacnl2000 said:

Sure, it looks overwhelming, isn't cheap, but I can choose what I want to try in my not too spicey shabushi. I can eat as much as I want to eat. No high loaded plates here, but an infinite amount of small plates and cups coming and going quite quickly. Apart from the a priori timelimit set, it's fun. Preferably on a saturday morning, just before noon: an entire assembly line of food for your family only 😉

best-japanese-dining.jpg

The one in Central Festival Mall in Pattaya has the platinum option which offers some nice beef, much better than the train food.

2 hours ago, jacnl2000 said:

Sure, it looks overwhelming, isn't cheap, but I can choose what I want to try in my not too spicey shabushi. I can eat as much as I want to eat. No high loaded plates here, but an infinite amount of small plates and cups coming and going quite quickly. Apart from the a priori timelimit set, it's fun. Preferably on a saturday morning, just before noon: an entire assembly line of food for your family only ;-)

best-japanese-dining.jpg

Greed would set in, i once had 15 Saki Nigiri so i have the ability

On 2/8/2024 at 1:50 PM, hotchilli said:

A Thai friend used to take me to an "all you can eat style buffet" place for a set price.

His co-worker friend would sometimes come along, he was 6ft and skinny as a rake buy boy could he eat.

Many places apparently got to know him and would double his set-price.

It was in fact so embarrassing I stopped going, one place the girl came out with a tray of freshly fried chicken legs, he picked up the whole tray and took it to the table.

Exactly the same as me.

Last time I went to one of these the locals were piling up the shrimps without any concern for others.

It was repulsive to watch such shameless gluttony yet they're the first to post videos of Chinese tourists doing exactly the same.

Needless to say, I avoid the places like the plague now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, uttradit said:

Once for a year for christmas is enough. Best food never in buffets.

OK, I see what you mean and understand.

I would never go eat buffet for X-mas, birthday, Valentines or any other special day.

And I think we have to make a difference between a BBQ/Shabu buffet or a bruch/lunch/dinner buffet. or at least between a buffet where you go take your food yourself and the ones the food you order is brought to you.

I mostly not go to buffets where you have to take the food yourself, because too many people not know how to behave.