Any update on Paxlovid availability for foreigners in Bangkok?

david_je

When I got COVID in April 2023, Hospital for Tropical Diseases where I sought treatment told me it was only available to Thais. Was given  molnupiravir, which is not recommended as first-line treatment in U.S. 

Has anyone here recently gotten access to Paxlovid?

I am of demographic that needs it, and would like to be prepared in case I am re-infected.

Also, anyone with personal experience can recommend where to go for COVID treatment in Bangkok?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, david_je said:

When I got COVID in April 2023, Hospital for Tropical Diseases where I sought treatment told me it was only available to Thais. Was given  molnupiravir, which is not recommended as first-line treatment in U.S. 

It's available at government hospitals.  At least in our Ampher.  But then, the head-doctor is a personal friend.  Fyi.  All it did was make me throw up immediately after taking it.  So?  I took nothing other then Tylenol.  4 days with a mild flu and finished. No shots.  No drama. My wife took it.  Results?  4 days of a mild flu and finished.  She had a lingering cough for about a week after.  Just saying.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

A post promoting a conspiracy theory documentary full of COVID misinformation has been removed.

@david_je"only available to Thais" has never been an official  government policy. Sounds like something the hospital decided on its own. Tends to happen with things in short supply, and Paxlovid supplies remain more limited than those of other drugs.

No guarantee, but your odds of getting Paxlovid would be greater at the private "international" hospitals. Of course so would the cost.

Having already had COVID infection once, and presumably also having been vaccinated, you will already have considerable immunity if re-infected. Do not be put off by accounts of declining antibodies, you will still have cellular immunity. 

COVID reinfection is significantly less likely than first COVID infection to cause severe disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9961977/

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 6:59 PM, Sheryl said:

COVID reinfection is significantly less likely than first COVID infection to cause severe disease

But the risk to develop long covid is not lower at your 2rd, 3rd or 4th... infection,  it's the same risk every time you catch covid

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 6:07 AM, Lorry said:

But the risk to develop long covid is not lower at your 2rd, 3rd or 4th... infection,  it's the same risk every time you catch covid

Yes, long Covid is what I worry about most.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:59 PM, Sheryl said:

A post promoting a conspiracy theory documentary full of COVID misinformation has been removed.

@david_je"only available to Thais" has never been an official  government policy. Sounds like something the hospital decided on its own. Tends to happen with things in short supply, and Paxlovid supplies remain more limited than those of other drugs.

No guarantee, but your odds of getting Paxlovid would be greater at the private "international" hospitals. Of course so would the cost.

Having already had COVID infection once, and presumably also having been vaccinated, you will already have considerable immunity if re-infected. Do not be put off by accounts of declining antibodies, you will still have cellular immunity. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9961977/

Are you still doing boosters every sixth months, wearing masks, avoiding crowded places, etc., Sheryl? Where would you recommend for reliable info on current infection, hospitalization, rates in Bangkok/Thailand? I'm wondering to what extent I should continue to take previous precautions.

5 minutes ago, david_je said:

Are you still doing boosters every sixth months, wearing masks, avoiding crowded places, etc., Sheryl? Where would you recommend for reliable info on current infection, hospitalization, rates in Bangkok/Thailand? I'm wondering to what extent I should continue to take previous precautions.

Reliable data on anything other than COVID deaths is not available or even being compiled anymore .

I have never done boosters at 6 month intervals, not indicated. I  Do one when/as new vaccines wirh expanded coverage come out.

I wear masks in hospitals and, if not too hot, on crowded public transport. Otherwise not.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, david_je said:

Paranoia/hysteria here.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

On 3/15/2024 at 10:14 AM, Sheryl said:

Did you mean 3,100?

Not 3,100

It is 31,000 baht for one course of 5 days (=30 tablets)

You have to add cost for doctor and covid test.

Pfizer has raised the price recently ( e.g. in Europe from 60 - sixty - € to 1100 - elevenhundred - € since March if you don't get it through insurance). 

31,000 baht is now quite a bargain. 

Molnupiravir is only about 2500 baht, that's at Bangkok Hospital and includes doctor fee. But Merck has withdrawn their application for molnupiravir in Europe as it was clear it would be rejected because molnupiravir is not very useful. 

• Thanks 2