Great 3BB deal 500mbps cont'd, Speed test - 3BB app

notrub

Further to great deal 500 mbps; I did a speed test on my 3BB + Norton VPN service.  I am in Buriram province in the rural north. My 3BB service is the 899pcm version.

3BB no vpn 340 MBPS

3BB + VPN +Thailand 19 MBPS

+ singapore 220 MBPS

+ seattle USA 30 MBPS

So, it looks like having the possibility of 1GBPS service is let down by the actual speed provided by the server.  Is this correct?  If it is correct then there is absolutely no point in paying for for high speed service that they are apparently unable to provide.

Comments?🙏🏼

There are many factors here.  Are you on wired ethernet  and are you sure there is no packet loss between your device and the router. If this is wifi from your laptop 340mbit seems about right. 

A few things you must have to get the most out of your Internet connection. Onboard processor, LAN card speed, and probably a few other things I know nothing about.

I have the 3BB 1GB supply at 630 bht per month, on the 3BB speed test I get around 930Mbps download and 305Mbps upload on my 15 year old desktop.

But it took me a while to fathom out why it was well less than 100Mbps and to get the most out of my old PC....😋

OK, so the test I just did was on my acer swift X laptop with a ryzen 7 processor. Wireless connection.  Windows 11.

The point is trying to figure out about internet speed purchased at 1GBPS but only providing 340 MBPS.

How can they sell it if they cannot provide the full 1 GBPS speed?🙏🏼

11 minutes ago, notrub said:

OK, so the test I just did was on my acer swift X laptop with a ryzen 7 processor. Wireless connection.  Windows 11.

The point is trying to figure out about internet speed purchased at 1GBPS but only providing 340 MBPS.

How can they sell it if they cannot provide the full 1 GBPS speed?🙏🏼

I had similar, phoned 3BB (1530 press 9 for English), they check their end, if no fix there they come to your house, plug in their laptop for a true reading. In my case they got near to 1GB.

Looked at my LAN card, task manager to see the situation, told me the probs and l worked on it... 🤗

Edited by transam

The speed tests are useless and I will tell you why.

1. In order to get a meaningful result you need to connect to a server that has very little load on it. If you use Google or similar these servers are heavily loaded

2. You would need a direct connection to the server you use for testing. Normally if say you are going to Google you may pass through a number of servers before getting to Google. Only one of these servers needs to be heavily loaded for you to get a low speed.

1 hour ago, notrub said:

Wireless connection

Which ridicules your (theoretical) expecting. I doubt you have the very latest Wifi6 both on laptop and router.

So your test result is quite perfect.

And it's just a test result.

Tell me how you would notice a difference between 300 and 1000 Mbit/s as single private user?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, transam said:

there they come to your house, plug in their laptop for a true reading. In my case they got near to 1GB.

Exactly that. Testing to THEIR next/fastest test server.

And that might be the last time you have seen 1 Gbit/s 😊

Fastest rate in practical life I have seen was about 800 Mbit/s while downloading a Windows 10 installation package.

YouTube downloads between 300 to 400 Mbit/s.

Downloads from some German TV "Mediathek" about 200 Mbit/s.

As a reminder: the highest quality Netflix stream requires 50 Mbit/s.

When does such a package makes some sense: if a whole family/house is using it.

For a single person it's indeed overkill.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, notrub said:

So , it looks like having the possibility of 1GBPS service is let down by the actual speed provided by the server

To the point.

Now you know that AN won't get any faster with whatever Gbit rate you have 😁

Many users, popular time of day/day of week, another coup and it will go down.

3BB prices went down over the years.

But longtime customers still pay their initial price.

Is it worth to contact them and request a new price?

And after AIS took over 3BB I lost sight about all the offers and prices 🙄

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Exactly that. Testing to THEIR next/fastest test server.

And that might be the last time you have seen 1 Gbit/s 😊

Fastest rate in practical life I have seen was about 800 Mbit/s while downloading a Windows 10 installation package.

YouTube downloads between 300 to 400 Mbit/s.

Downloads from some German TV "Mediathek" about 200 Mbit/s.

As a reminder: the highest quality Netflix stream requires 50 Mbit/s.

When does such a package makes some sense: if a whole family/house is using it.

For a single person it's indeed overkill.

3BB came to my house and I watched what the did testing my set-up, which included testing my 3BB modem etc.

In my spare time, I fix or upgrade friends computers, so I know about what different PC's can do or not do. As I said, I get 930Mbps on my very old PC, which is a vast improvement over the 60 odd MBPS I used to get...🤗

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Which package is that please. I get 1000/500 for 700 + VAT.

I have had the basic package for many, many years, it has never gone up, only the speeds have gone up, plus free fiber upgrade installed, 631baht........

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I first got 3BB 1GB fibre almost 4 years ago, @ Bht 700 + VAT. It is now 799!

I was on 1000/500 fibre only package for 749 baht pm (including vat) then 3BB offered (and I accepted) to upgrade me to 1000/1000 at the same price of 749 baht pm for 12 months. The offer came via the 3BB app. 

• Thanks 1