Donald and the US expats.

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

I really don’t understand this idea that “Democrats love war and starting new wars”. Is your memory so bad or knowledge of history so myopic that you can’t remember who got America into Afghanistan or Iraq in the first place (clue: it’s wasn’t Obama nor a Democrat). 

20 or 25 years ago, I'd have agreed with that.  But the DNC of today isn't the DNC of our grandparents, or even our parents.  Today, they're owned by corporate and MIC interests that keep the narrative and the donations afloat.

Not that the Repubs (RNC) are any better.  Just that during the last Repub administration, things were a lot quieter around the world as the bad guys wondered what that crazy mofo was going to do in retaliation.  And decided not to F around and find out. 

But I don't consider Trump to be a Repub.  He's an outsider.  And that's why a huge chunk of the Repubs are also trying to torpedo him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, uttradit said:

The Chinese leader is a better person? Think not.

Xi is not a pleasant character, but so far only threatened to kill and maim hundreds of thousands or millions in an invasion of Taiwan. Not as bad as actually starting a war, if we rank him against Putin on a scale of evil.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Xi is not a pleasant character, but so far only threatened to kill and maim hundreds of thousands or millions in an invasion of Taiwan. Not as bad as actually starting a war, if we rank him against Putin on a scale of evil.

Killed or jailed many of his own citizens for nothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Jokin' right?

The US under Biden is getting a big hammering in world opinion for supporting netanyahu in his atrocities in Gaza

Not jacking , you know me.

First let's examine the proposition put forth by the person who started the conversation, when it was said that the whole world was laughing at trump.

and rather than opinion, I posted a quote from a reparable source as to where US world reputation was under trump. and a link 

And where the US world reputation was under Biden, and posted a link. 

No opinion , just facts, yet all I get is unfounded opinion. 

The the comeback was , in an attempt to change the subject that in the US Bidens favorability was in the low to mid 30s. To which I replied that's not what we are talking about , but since you want to go there let's look at this.  Biden's favorability according to the reputable Gallup  at this time of the presidency is 39.8 and trumps was 42 a negligible difference of1.2 . 

No doubt the middle east incident has not impacted the US's favorability positively. but in no way do people around the world are laughing at Biden like they were laughing at trump , maybe they don't like Biden, but in no way do the not like Biden as much  as they disliked trump. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, riclag said:

Fast forward to Feb 2024 , worse polling of any modern day Potus.

Presidency in Peril , and this is pre Hur / special counsel scandal!

Your boy was only 1.2 points ahead of Biden which is with in the margined of error, and if you want to talk about peril. Not sure how you think Biden's presidency is in peril , but I can assure you that your boy is in peril of going to jail, and  Bankrupt, 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Honestly as an expat in Thailand, probably not all that much right away. BUT ...

As far as the USA and the world, a whole lot of chaos and the continued global rise of dictatorships and the decline of democracies.

There will be risks whoever is president of course.

Trump will leave Nato and throw Ukraine under the bus and contrary to what maga types say, that will embolden war criminal dictator Putin and he'll be much more likely to go for other countries in the region -- the Baltics, Poland, Moldova, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan, etc. But he might pause even for some years  in order to rebuild his military which has been significantly damaged.

Of course above would mean a more explicit world war with an axis of Russia, China, Iran being against the west with an isolationist USA greatly weakening the west.

Would Thailand try to stay neutral as they historically generally prefer or side with the axis?

Why would they side with the west with a then isolated USA and Russia and China so much closer?

So how would Thailand then treat "enemy" foreigners living in their land?

Also to consider CIVIL WAR is now a risk in the USA. How?

Trump is likely to lose the election like last time but like last time he will never admit that he lost and he will claim that he won.

It's easy to imagine several possible scenarios that could lead to civil war from that.

Obviously expats abroad from a county at civil war are going to be facing negative consequences.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You could certainly find different and better people to engage with. Give it a try. With good ones there are way more interesting mind expanding experiences to be had than politics. Might be a good idea to stop thinking about yourself as a country. The " we" in your above post is telling. Now since you may be Canadian again what wonderful things can you discuss about Trudeau? 

Nah. I will continue to explain how I came out of Regina. Always gives them pause. I do not bring up politics. It is these other folks who do. When the large nitwit is in office, and they ask where I am from, mentioning the US seems to be a trigger.

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

If Trump wins in 2024?  2016 was an anomaly....no one knew what Trump was really about.  But after 4 years and everyone realizing what Trump was, Americans gave him the boot in 2020.  I applauded my fellow Americans for coming through.  But if somehow he wins in 2024, I will be forever convinced that the majority of Americans are idiots. 

If you believe the recent Heartland Institute study, it probably wasn't the American people who gave him the boot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

If Trump wins in 2024?  2016 was an anomaly....no one knew what Trump was really about.  But after 4 years and everyone realizing what Trump was, Americans gave him the boot in 2020.  I applauded my fellow Americans for coming through.  But if somehow he wins in 2024, I will be forever convinced that the majority of Americans are idiots. 

But it was way too close for comfort in the electoral swing state contests in 2020 even though Biden landslided the loser in the popular vote. 

We need to face the harsh reality that Trump could win and even if he loses which he probably will, he won't admit it and chaos or much worse will follow.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

NO NO NO NO NO! There is a YUGE number of Americans who will do everything they can to ensure that convicted criminal never darkens the oval office with his putrid shadow again. Don't paint ALL Americans with that stanky brush!

But apparently there are about 70,000,000 Americans who want him. 

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But apparently there are about 70,000,000 Americans who want him. 

Yeah? Well, there are MORE than that who DON'T want him back and you said "ALL" Americans. Let's keep it real and not insult the majority of Americans.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, uttradit said:

Biden has not spoken to Putin in years. That's how useless Biden is. Should be on the phone working out a solution. Biden is totally ineffective yet all these guys can do is attack Trump who left office 3 years ago. All the left do is call people names. Calling Putin names won't stop the war. 

Working out solutions with despots doesn't work, ask Chamberlain.

The war will stop either when Putin runs out of money, armaments and men to prosecute it, or the Ukrainians kick the Russians out.

Trump is only useful to Putin.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Yeah? Well, there are MORE than that who DON'T want him back and you said "ALL" Americans. Let's keep it real and not insult the majority of Americans.

Must be something wrong with them. No wars, low inflation, border controls.

They must like problems.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, WhatMeWorry said:

For me, I might consider moving back to the good ol USA.

Maga 2024.jpg

IMG_2480.thumb.jpeg.257f0a2b84f3e4a8b19904c0cfae4594.jpeg

For the Republic and which it use to Stand for!

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Would like to see Hillary Clinton (POTUS) and Michelle Obama (VP) drafted at the democratic convention. I think that ticket would win by a landslide against Trump.

The only way Hillary gets on the ticket is if Kamala and Newsom commit suicide.

So, maybe...   (Americans will get that)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, impulse said:

It's no different than American football.  The rules say a touchdown is 6 points and a field goal is 3.  You can't come back after the game and claim we had more field goals but only we lost because of the rules.  If they changed the rules where a field goal was 6 points and a TD was 3, the teams would adjust their tactics to favor kickers and the better teams would still win.

It's the same with the age old argument between the Electoral College and the Popular Vote.  If they changed the rules, the parties would change their tactics and the best candidate would still win.  (Unless, of course, they cheated).

As you said in your earlier post, the popular vote likely would not have changed much, with or without the EC.  I doubt a change of tactics would have gained Trump 2.5 million more votes in 2016 or 7 million more votes in 2020. 

'Best' is subjective but In 2000 and 2016, the voters, themselves, did choose the candidate that they preferred to be president of the choices running, and that preferred candidate did win the popular vote in both of the elections.  In both cases, that 'best candidate' was not Bush or Trump.

• Agree 1