Search continues for British man missing in southern Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

A 24 year old British man went missing yesterday while kayaking in a canal near the Rajjaprabha Dam, also known as the Cheow Lan Dam, in the southern province of Surat Thani.

Supot Juinark, the director of Khao Sok National Park, reported to officers at Ban Ta Khun Police Station around 12:30pm yesterday, February 11, that 24 year old Englishman Gowribalan Shanghman had gone missing after kayaking in the Warng Canal, located 50 to 60 kilometres away from the Cheiw Lan Dam.

ThaiRath reported that Shanghman travelled to the dam with his friends and a tour guide. They were staying at a floating raft accommodation called Krisorn Float.

The spot where Shanghman vanished boasts a water depth of approximately 50 to 60 metres, with frigid temperatures submerged beneath.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ MGR Online ภาคใต้

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

British Tourist Missing After Kayak Accident

image.jpeg

A British tourist has gone missing following a kayaking mishap at Rajjaprabha Dam in Surat Thani province. Officials said 24-year-old Gowribalan Shanghaman was reported to have fallen from his kayak into the waters of the dam early yesterday morning (Feb 11), sparking a search and rescue operation.

Shanghaman, along with a companion, had set out from a local raft house for a kayaking trip when the incident occurred approximately 500 meters from their starting point. The area, situated some 50-60km from the dam’s crest, is known for its scenic beauty but also for its potential dangers.

Four scuba divers from the Cheow Lan Municipal Office have been sent to the rescue site, known to be the reservoir’s deepest part with depths up to 50 meters. The rescue team said they were facing difficulties due to the low visibility in the chilly, turbid waters, posing a significant challenge to their search efforts.

Concerns were also raised regarding the adherence to park safety regulations. Shanghaman and his friend did not report to the authorities before starting their trip, a necessary procedure all visitors must follow to ensure their safety. It was also reported that the two men were not wearing life vests at the time of the accident.

As the search continues, park officials and local authorities are urging visitors to follow all safety guidelines and regulations closely, emphasizing the importance of reporting to park officials before engaging in water activities and the use of life vests to prevent similar incidents.

Source: NNT 2024-02-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Again, very poor reporting....

Yep, frigid waters in Surat Thani? 

My first thought was he was eaten by a croc but now I suspect he is fine somewhere probably with a Surat Thani girl.

Edited by Robbkk
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Shanghaman and his friend did not report to the authorities before starting their trip, a necessary procedure all visitors must follow to ensure their safety. It was also reported that the two men were not wearing life vests at the time of the accident.

complete disregard for the Thai rules and regulations before venturing into kayaking & water sports as noted on the sign board....    and no vests FGS.

I wouldn't put too much effort into looking for him in this regard,  why put others at risk.

No wonder park authorities despise farang who think it's fine to ignore the rules.

But also,  how does one drown or go missing just by falling off a kayak  ?   unless he went over a waterfall and hit a rock or some accident similar.

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Im used to the reporting quality but usually have some idea of the story but his left me totally confused.   Stating on a floating raft house?  I assuke on the lake.  Yet kayaking 50-60 km away from the dam?  Do thet kayak the vamal then get a ride back or kayak out from the dam downstream in the canal  or does the canal flow into the lake so they kayak the 50 km down current?      Thats why they suspect he woukd be found in 50m of water.    I wonder how cold the thermoclines are?   Thats a bit deep for  normal scuba rescue.  

What happened to the Kayak and was the lad not given a life jacket to wear .even if the kayak had overturned he should of been okay I kayak a lot in the sea have never had a problem even if I turn it over . Let’s hope he is found !

Although ultimately responsible for  their own safety, if, as stated. a tour guide accompanied them. wouldn't it be expected that he/she would have paid some attention to the rules ?

Edited by mancub

1 hour ago, dogfish180 said:

Have they check Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza? Probably paddled his way to Bangkok. 🤣

Then he will not be the first Brit to go canoeing and disappear.🤔

• Haha 2

Any number of things could have happened .. what actually happened is still a mystery based on this rplort... I lived on a river as a kid and there was a small dam there. We always wanted to get close but if you you get too close to those spill ways it will turn you over fast and suck you down. Not saying that's what happened. Interesting is anytime I've ever rented a kayak (anywhere) they made you take vest and helmet. Always listen to the safety instructions.